Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what are you all making?
:

I am trying to organize everything I have to do this morning,and next on the list is a recipe list for the Big Turkey day. No, I have not decided yet!lol

So , any recipes you really love from the NT book, or any favorites? I have only made 2 Thanksgiving dinners, and it will be just us and dh's dad for Thanksgiving.

I am going to start some stock today to have on hand, and my kombucha should be ready by Thursday. I do have an Emeril chocolate bourban pecan pie I like, but I would need to soak and crisp the pecans, correct?

I just want any tips for things I may forget. Last year, I forgot to thaw the turkey 2 days before, and uh, lets just say we ate LATE
This year, it is like a really big bird, because I want to make stock and turkey pot pies with cheddar and bourbon until I can't eat one more. So, no room for error! SO forgive my ignorance, tell me your tips and tricks or anything else, related to Thanksgiving and lets help each other and share!

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm not doing the cooking but, we bought my mother and my mil a farm fresh turkey from the farmer who runs our co-op.

Other than that, I'm going to make the raw cheesecake recipe found in NT.

·
Registered
759 Posts
whoa-whoa...turkey pot pie with cheddar and bourbon? Please share
:

We also have a big turkey cause that was the smallest pasteured one we could get from our raw milk farmer.

We are all dividing up the cooking between the families who are coming ( its at our house) I only have to make stuffing ( celtic sage sausage apple, trying with gluten free bread, not sure how it will be) kale with portobellos and maple syrup ( so yum!) brussel sprouts fried in lard with chestnuts...( I am starting to drool
and pears simmered in lemon honey with raw whipped cream...

Tanya

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Thanksgiving has always been the one day a year I ate the closest to NT!!

We always have a turkey, stuffing (made from whatever bread we have leftovers of around the house), baked potatoes, sweet potatoes, usually some kind of muffins or cornbread, cranberry sauce, and squash casserole (cooked squash, pinapple, mandarin oranges, and cinnamon mixed and baked together.) Dessert is usually apple pie and pumpkin pie.

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tcarwyn~ I can tell you how I make it
II have to dig up the crust recipe though
The insides I have down pat, sans measurements

Everything sounds so yummy! I will have to look at the raw cheesecake recipe. I still need to get some pecans quick so I can soak them. One place I went was out
:

I think I have narrowed it down. I want to make this soup(I am not a very traditional person in usual terms , unless you cound that I am traditionally doing things differently):
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recip...BD774608D27A36
and serve with green beans, probably with some nuts and lemon and salt sauteed and on top.

I also asked hd and he said he liked the pie from last year a lot. I will serve it with a really great vanilla ice cream I like.

I have a ton opf pumpkin to use up, so I will most likely make a sweet potato dish with pumpkin instead. I will also try to find stuff to do with my veggies from out last CSA.

Our turkey I got from Shelton farms, and it is about 18-20 pounds I believe. Anyone know how long I should defrost it?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
We are having Thanksgiving at my parents. It will only be partly NT friendly...as my Grandma is bringing her famous rolls and pumpkin pie which are NOT NT hehe.
But I am going to make the Rainbow Salad to bring...so we get some live enzymes in there at least to help digest everything.

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolelynn View Post
We are having Thanksgiving at my parents. It will only be partly NT friendly...as my Grandma is bringing her famous rolls and pumpkin pie which are NOT NT hehe.
But I am going to make the Rainbow Salad to bring...so we get some live enzymes in there at least to help digest everything.

Good thinking

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, so MIL makes this killer cranberry salad, with orange and walnuts. I need to get the recipe from her. I definitely am making that

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, I can't seem to find my biscuit recipe I used to use on top of my pot pie, but if you have a good one you like,it would work?

To make the cheddar/bourbon pot pie(which was invented to begin using up a huge thing of bourbon leftover from pie
):

I don't really measure, JSYK.
I like to take onion, garlic, celery, carrots(not too many) and basically any other veggie I have on hand.Maybe potatoes, maybe some peas, maybe broccolli. I sautee in olive oil or butter until soft. You can also add salt, and a bit of stock.

Then in a seperate pan, I make a white sauce, but with cheddar. And with cream, butter, flour, some salt and pepper, and I like sage. Then, add some bourbon(a few tblsp) and turn up the heat for a min. Then, take off the heat, and mix everything together in one pot.

Pour in a buttered bowl or container. Add biscuit to top and cut to fit.

I bake mine at 350 until the top is brown and the inside is bubbly!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leilalu View Post
Our turkey I got from Shelton farms, and it is about 18-20 pounds I believe. Anyone know how long I should defrost it?
Ooooh, I hope you've started defrosting already. I believe it's something like a day for every 4 to 5 lbs. You can speed it up at the end by sticking it in cold water and changing the water to keep it cold.

Let's see, I'm making: Roasted duck, mashed sweet potatoes with a butter and nut topping, some kind of greens, cranberry relish, and pumpkin pie with creme fraiche.

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by saratc View Post
Ooooh, I hope you've started defrosting already. I believe it's something like a day for every 4 to 5 lbs. You can speed it up at the end by sticking it in cold water and changing the water to keep it cold.

Let's see, I'm making: Roasted duck, mashed sweet potatoes with a butter and nut topping, some kind of greens, cranberry relish, and pumpkin pie with creme fraiche.
thanks for the heads up!!!See, this is exactly the kind of info I need

·
Banned
11,594 Posts
i re-tooled my menu to this:

First Course

Cream of Fennel Soup (from NT)
Salad-- Water cress and escarole salad with braeburn apples, raisins, walnuts, and blue cheese (with light vinegarette)

Main Course

Turkey
roasted golden and red beats
green beans with caramelized onions
goat cheese sauce (as gravy)

Dessert Course

buttered pecan ice cream
short bread cookies
caramel sauce

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
i re-tooled my menu to this:

First Course

Cream of Fennel Soup (from NT)
Salad-- Water cress and escarole salad with braeburn apples, raisins, walnuts, and blue cheese (with light vinegarette)

Main Course

Turkey
roasted golden and red beats
green beans with caramelized onions
goat cheese sauce (as gravy)

Dessert Course

buttered pecan ice cream
short bread cookies
caramel sauce
love it!Looks very smart!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leilalu View Post
To make the cheddar/bourbon pot pie(which was invented to begin using up a huge thing of bourbon leftover from pie
):

That sounds fantastic ( however, I have never had a problem using up bourbon
)

Dont worry about the crust, I have to make it gluten free anyway...I will find something for it.

Thanks a bunch!

Tanya

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcarwyn View Post
That sounds fantastic ( however, I have never had a problem using up bourbon
)

Dont worry about the crust, I have to make it gluten free anyway...I will find something for it.

Thanks a bunch!

Tanya
sure thing

Sorry I don't have measurements either.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
We host it and people bring things too--
Here is what I am making:
  • Free range turkey with butter, white wine, sea salt and herbs
  • Mulled/spiced apple cider in the crockpot-It makes the house smell great too
  • Holiday Pecans (from NT)
  • Some sort of G-F/ D-F cobbler with apples, nuts, and coconut.
We also have beer on tap, wine, and lemonade water kefir for beverages.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts