Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

We've started down the gut healing path for dd which includes NT foods and cooking. We have seen some positive health improvements but the circles under dd's eyes remain as does her craving for sweet things. She also has been having more regular stomach aches after eating.

So... my question is this: I've been keeping the fats up (grass fed cow butter, coconut oil, olive oil, omegas), minimizing grains (as I am unsure of a wheat allergy but i suspect it). I've made homemade yoghurt and she doesn't seem to do well with it (she says her stomach hurts after she eats it). I cook with homemade broths too for mineral content. What should a typical NT, healing the gut diet look like for her just now (breakfast lunch dinner)? She is almost five and weighs 34 pounds.

TIA

Pioneermama

·
Registered
849 Posts
subbing

newbie q: please tell me what NT means, keep seeing it everywhere

this sounds a lot like my daughter. Small for age, circles, multiple food sensitivities and incomplete digestion.

best,
Liora

·
Registered
403 Posts
NT is Nourishing Traditions, a cook book and guide for healthy eating by Sally Fallon. westonaprice.org for more info. Also check the healing the gut tribe cheet sheet in Health and Healing.

dark circles are typical for casein/gluten intolerance, so you might want to cut out those grains for a while. Yogurt could bother him for different reasons. He could be allergic to the milk protein casein, in this case he can't tolerate cheeses either. Or you didn't ferment it for 24 hours to get rid of the lactose, or it's just a die-off reaction casued by the lactic acid bacteria. You could just give him probiotics for now or try 24 hr. goat milk yogurt.

He could also benefit from digestive enzymes that will help digest all foods and reduce reactions. enzymestuff.com
Without enzymes my DD and I wouldn't be able to do NT oatmeal, for example.

Also, you migfht want to limit any sugar including maple syrup and honey for a while.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I just want mention that our experience with regular tummy aches was the result of constipation - with both my boys. You have to careful to make sure they eat enough fiber in their diets. Since NT really pushes the fats, they can easily get filled up on lesser volumes of food, and well, neither of my boys eat as much veggies as I would like them to. Also, keep in mind that they can be stooling daily, and still have pretty full colons (=tummy aches a lot at my house).

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Have you checked out the "Healing the Gut Tribe" thread in Health & Healing? There is a lot of information there on healing the gut and most of us are doing it NT style.

As a PP said, you will probably have to cut out grains if you want to heal her gut. She may have yeast issues if she craves sweets--if she does it would be best to eliminate fruits & all sugars (including honey) from her diet.

Constipation is more a reflection of overall digestive health than the amount of fiber you eat. Fiber intake may seem to help, but is actually not necessary for regular bowel movements (as Dr. Price's research showed--a couple of populations are very little fiber and didn't have constipation problems).

·
Registered
669 Posts
Hmmm, interesting note on the role of fiber and constipation - thanks for the tip, I'm off to read more on improving digestive health.

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
I wanted to add something. We started drinking raw milk, in addition to the almond milk my kids used to drink exclusively. BIG difference. Also raw chocolate colostrum on occasion.

I also started making kefir. With raw and non-homogenized milks(found for a good price through Strauss, or TJ's) When I started us on the kefir, BIG difference in bowel movements, amount of sugar cravings, etc. I still enjoy a little bit of sugar now and then. I like to bake and make things, but it is always very natural sugars.

So maybe try kefir. I know yogurt can cleanse , but kefir can colonize. Maybe it will be the extra nudge in the right direction.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Leilalu, tell me about raw chocolate colostrum please.

thanks for those suggestions. I've made keifer a few times but I'm still working on making tasty smoothies that aren't full of fructose to add them to so they aren't rejected.

We started with raw milk a few months ago. What I noticed was they dd would get a stomach ache quickly after drinking it. Before the raw milk she never drank milk because I was unsure about allergies and doubted whether pasturized milk had any nutritional benefits. I don't know if it is an adjustment phase or an allergy.

She had a blood test for food allergies but the blood samples were rendered unusable by the lab and they requested that we come back to test again. I haven't felt comfortable about taking her back for more bloodwork as she had a difficult hosptial stay a couple of months ago and it was very rough on her. So, for now we avoid things that I suspect and do some rotating of foods.

One thing that I have started doing is increasing vit c (liposomal), increasing cod liver oil and adding selenium too.

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pioneermama
Leilalu, tell me about raw chocolate colostrum please.

thanks for those suggestions. I've made keifer a few times but I'm still working on making tasty smoothies that aren't full of fructose to add them to so they aren't rejected.

We started with raw milk a few months ago. What I noticed was they dd would get a stomach ache quickly after drinking it. Before the raw milk she never drank milk because I was unsure about allergies and doubted whether pasturized milk had any nutritional benefits. I don't know if it is an adjustment phase or an allergy.

She had a blood test for food allergies but the blood samples were rendered unusable by the lab and they requested that we come back to test again. I haven't felt comfortable about taking her back for more bloodwork as she had a difficult hosptial stay a couple of months ago and it was very rough on her. So, for now we avoid things that I suspect and do some rotating of foods.

One thing that I have started doing is increasing vit c (liposomal), increasing cod liver oil and adding selenium too.
We drink organicn pastures colostrum. it is quite good, but I either mix it with other milk, or only buy occasionally.

I think the great thing about raw milk is that there are naturally occuring bacteria that help break down the milk sugars. So even I can drink it, whereas I otherwise can't tolerate milk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts