Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My midwife just told me that the bloodwork at my 13 week ultrasound indicated low PAPP-A (0.38 MoM and 5 percentile)

She said that the rest of the NT ultrasound and tests came out normal, just the low PAPP-A. My Down Syn chances are 1:321, Trisomy is 1:4600 and beta hCG is 0.68 MoM

I'll need to have bi-weekly ultrasounds and extra monitoring later on in the pregnancy because of the low PAPP-A. The midwife mentioned some risks due to low PAPP-A like baby with low birth weight, premature delivery, preeclampsia, miscarriage till 24 weeks and stillbirth :(

I am now totally confused as to what this all means. I am worried sick. My first pregnancy with my DS was so smooth with no such issues and he was a 10lb full-term healthy baby. With this pregnancy, i get a low PAPP-A. So much stress.. Does anyone know what this means? Should I be worried?

·
Registered
153 Posts
So, I just got my results back with a similar PAPP-A level --- .39.

Based on what my midwife told me this is not a big deal. .40 is the cut off so we are only .01 or .02 off of normal. She said the only thing they would do would be one extra ultrasound at 32-38 weeks to check growth.

From what she told me, this PAPP-A thing is super new and they are still trying to figure out what it means and make all the linkages. So that seems pretty crappy that they are making you freak out about something that sounds like a new diagnostic, especiallywhen your level is barely low. Try to relax and not worry!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts