Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cross-posted in decluttering/minimizing.<br><br>
What's an appropriate number of toys for a one-year old? All our family and friends kept getting him stuff so he had a bunch of things. But I've been thinking about why he might be so hyperactive and the obvious solution hit me; he's way too distracted by all the other toys he COULD be playing with, so he doesn't play with any. He's just overwhelmed. So I took a box and packed away most of his toys, books, etc. I'm left with what looks like a bare shelf (much nicer to look at!) but I still think he might have too many.<br><br>
I narrowed down toys to 9 cloth/board books, 9 alphabet/activity blocks, one of those 4 key xylophone pianos, a wooden pull toy, a couple of soft animal figures (slightly larger than finger puppets), a wooden teething ring thingy, a stuffed turtle, and paperweight he claimed, and a small ball. And he has a few bath toys but those are separate. And in his pack n play (I hate it but I have to use it while I breastfeed the baby) I have another book, his toy cell phone, and a nose bulb suction (which he loves for some reason, and yes it's clean!).<br><br>
Does this sound reasonable? I want to narrow it down even further but maybe this is OK? He barely plays with "toys" as it is, and I'd like him to start if only because his "found objects" usually include things we have to take away from him for being too dangerous, and then a hissy fit ensues, etc. etc.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
At that age ds didn't play with many of his toys. I think its an age thing. I like putting away toys so there aren't too many out. Just keep out the ones he enjoys.<br>
I really like shelves and I really like little baskets. Blocks in one, people in one, animals in one etc.<br><br>
If people want to get him things suggest books and arts and crafts.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just know we have too many! I've started putting things away and really rotating toys onto a shelf. It is rare that I've regretted giving something away. Something always gets added soon afterward.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I've always rotated stock. When he stops playing with something I put it away for a few weeks. Then I pull it out and it's like he has a new toy. If there are too many toys out he just ignores them.<br><br>
My stepkids never played with toys. They had so many toys at the ex-wife's house that a huge room was literally knee-deep in stuff. You truly could not see the floor. It was so overwhelming that they didn't know what to choose. At our house they only had a very few toys, but by the time I came on the scene they just didn't know how to play with toys. So for gifts we tended to give them gift certificates for activities.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts