Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well sad to say a friend of ours was asked to stop NIP today. She was at River chase water park(managed by the city) in Fenton. She was nursing on the pool deck with a t-shirt over her suit. So she was being as discreet as anyone at the mall would have been.

A lifeguard came over and said she was offending people and that she needed to move to the locker room or leave. Our friend sighted how bf friendly Mo law was and declined to move. The lifeguard then got mgmt who stated their was a police officer upstairs that said by law she was required to cover up with a towel next time.

We are planning a "family outing" nurse in on the 13th of August. I will be sending press releases to all of the news outlets. We would really like to see 20 or 30 mamas throughout the day.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Here's the wording for the law in Missouri:
§ 191.918. Breast-feeding in public permitted
Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, a mother may, with as much discretion as possible, breast-feed her child in any public or private location where the mother is otherwise authorized to be.
'As much discretion as possible'? Pretty ambiguous, to say the least.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessed
'As much discretion as possible'? Pretty ambiguous, to say the least.
Oh yes. I wonder if any attempts have been made lately to change the wording?

What I don't understand is if she wasn't showing ANY skin--had a t-shirt on over her suit and had the baby under the t-shirt--what in the world is a *towel* going to do?! Were people offended by the very fact that she was breastfeeding at all and they could tell what she was doing, even though they couldn't see any boob?

I highly doubt that an objection to breastfeeding UNDER HER SHIRT would stand up in court. No skin = discretion. At least I hope so...
:

·
Registered
581 Posts
is there a fee to get in to the water park? i'd like to go but would hate to have to give $ to the park.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarmama
is there a fee to get in to the water park? i'd like to go but would hate to have to give $ to the park.
Checking the website, it appears Adults are $5 for residents and $7 for non-residents. 2 & under are free.

On another note, did your power go out? How's it going down your way?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm not nursing right now, but a friend of mine is and was interested in participating. Would you just be doing it all day on the 13th?

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CarmenJ
Oh yes. I wonder if any attempts have been made lately to change the wording?

What I don't understand is if she wasn't showing ANY skin--had a t-shirt on over her suit and had the baby under the t-shirt--what in the world is a *towel* going to do?! Were people offended by the very fact that she was breastfeeding at all and they could tell what she was doing, even though they couldn't see any boob?

I highly doubt that an objection to breastfeeding UNDER HER SHIRT would stand up in court. No skin = discretion. At least I hope so...
:
I think you hit the nail on the head!!!
:

What time are you all planning on being there? Ds doesn't nurse while we are out and about anymore, but I would like to come for support. Anything else I can do besides spreading the word?

ETA: Anyone who can't make it (or heck, even those who can) could send an email to the Director of Parks and Recreation, Nancy Battersby. [email protected]

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A letter has gone to Mrs. Battersby. She is very apologetic apparently the pool mgmt is contracted out.

I am really hoping we can use this situation as a leaping point to get the legislature to consider changing the law. I have a press release written and it's being reviewed by an attorney prior to it's release.

As for the entry fee. We're planning (personally we) to make it a family day so the fee is not a big deal. I'm not near as interested in "hurting" parks and rec or the city of Fenton, but rather drawing attention to the ambiguity.

There was also a meeting with the Mayor of Fenton today regarding the situation.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by abbieandlady
As for the entry fee. We're planning (personally we) to make it a family day so the fee is not a big deal. I'm not near as interested in "hurting" parks and rec or the city of Fenton, but rather drawing attention to the ambiguity.

Good point! I guess I wasn't thinking about it being a city park. I'm in.

Rebecca, I didn't lose power. How about you?

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
That's just awful. I've BFed many times at the water park run by the City of Collinsville (over the border in IL) with no problems at all, but I know the IL law is very clear. Maybe we'll have to go check out the Fenton waterpark.....

·
Registered
220 Posts
Quote:
I have a press release written and it's being reviewed by an attorney prior to it's release.
Oh my, did having that done cost you anything?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not worried about the cost. I just want to be sure that we are as professional as we can. I really would like this to become a spring board for legislative change.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't really want to stay all day at this pool. Maybe a couple of hours since we are going when they open. I want a little drama please. My dream is that around 11:30 or 12pm if their are enough Mom's, I am hoping for around 20. (I don't think that is too much to ask for.) We all site pool-side and nurse our babies! Can you here the excitement in my voice? It was ME for those of you who don't know me. She said it with a very rude attude and I just want to show her that I am not the only breastfeeding Mom in South County.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I'll come--that sounds like fun. I need to give Alex more opportunities to enjoy water (though she'll probably be happier just sitting by the pool, nursing, and playing with the other babies).

·
Registered
422 Posts
For your planning's sake, I just wanted to tell you that I don't think the pool opens officially for non-lap swimming until 12 noon. Even during the summer.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
We may be there but I dont even own a swimsuit

·
Registered
22 Posts
Fashion Bug on Gravios right up the street fro you has some left and on sale. I think they are 20 a piece. My Mom just bought on e the other day really cute. I might go look and see what thye have left. I am at the pool about 3 days a week so I like to have a few. I have been going to Arnold's new water park. I love it! Amy

1 - 20 of 29 Posts