Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the story.

"I was humiliated.. and down right treated like trash in a local resturant.. I am calling for s nurse in!! PM if interested.. I do live in cullman

No one even noticed I was breastfeeding until a lady waitress came up to try and refill a ketchup bottle and got an eye full cause she had to reach across me and my baby to get it!! Anyways we were about to leave anyways cause William just got to sleep and he'd been breastfeeding the whole time we were there...

The manager came .. threw some dishclothes on me as he said " do you mind covering up" and walked away! ... Dirty dishclothes on me and my baby!!"

The restaurant is Johnny's BBQ in Cullman. Several of us will be headed there to meet for lunch on Thursday, March 15th, at 11am. We plan to go, eat, and feed our children. Come and support Elizabeth, the mama who was accosted, and nursing mothers everywhere!

Hayes

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayes View Post
This is the story.

"I was humiliated.. and down right treated like trash in a local resturant.. I am calling for s nurse in!! PM if interested.. I do live in cullman

No one even noticed I was breastfeeding until a lady waitress came up to try and refill a ketchup bottle and got an eye full cause she had to reach across me and my baby to get it!! Anyways we were about to leave anyways cause William just got to sleep and he'd been breastfeeding the whole time we were there...

The manager came .. threw some dishclothes on me as he said " do you mind covering up" and walked away! ... Dirty dishclothes on me and my baby!!"

The restaurant is Johnny's BBQ in Cullman. Several of us will be headed there to meet for lunch on Thursday, March 15th, at 11am. We plan to go, eat, and feed our children. Come and support Elizabeth, the mama who was accosted, and nursing mothers everywhere!

Hayes

ok, it's all a little vague still, so i'll be watching for further info.
BUT!
whatever you do, don't EAT THERE! unless you plan to dine and dash as well...oh my god, don't give them more business ($) over it!

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
omg thats disgusting the way you were treated
:
good luck with your nurse in, will be there in mind as can't be there in body

you could allways print out this and put on a chair

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
"Assault" comes to mind. What are the laws in your state? Do you have recourse under them? Though every state has Assault laws, and throwing dirty dish clothes at and onto you would qualify in my nonlawyer opinion.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It sounds like that place has some real personal space issues. She shouldn;t have even leaned over you to refill the ketchup. I would call the heath department about the through dish clothes at you thing. I am sure that violates some code.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
What state is this place located in? I want to write them a letter and let them know that the disgusting behavior by the manager and by the server who I'm sure complained AND the restaurant associated with them have spread like wildfire over the internet.

Quote:
It sounds like that place has some real personal space issues. She shouldn;t have even leaned over you to refill the ketchup.
Agreed. That's a task to do at an UNOCCUPIED table.

·
Registered
129 Posts
What happened to you was disgusting!!!!!

You have to find out the laws in your area for breastfeeding. If there are some then you have a great leg to stand on. Just deciding to have a nurse in may not be the greatest idea without speaking to someone first. I was harassed in a mall in pa about a month ago. I told every breastfeeding advocacy group that I could. I was contacted about having a nurse-in by a group that "does" this type of thing. There are things to consider, and I know that you are angry, but you and the other mom's could be arrested (worse case senario). These groups that organize nurse-ins have answers to everything. Things that no one would even think of. I would start by contacting Le Leche League. They won't be able to get involved, but they may be able to guide you in the right direction.

I wish I knew what state you were in. If it is PA then I could assist you in contacting the right people to get this organized.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I just caught some press about an attempted nurse-in at this restaurant because of this event. The A.P. story was pretty negative. What really happened at the nurse-in?

Unfortunately, while Alabama has a NIP statute, I can not find an enforcement provision that would allow you to file a complaint or other lawsuit based on the violation of the statute. It sounds like you have an assault and/or battery case here, though. This is definitely an unlawful touching.

What is your next step? This is a revolting story and such a sad statement about the value of a NIP statute that doesn't also create a cause of action against someone who violates it.

Please fill us in and say what help you need.

Jake Marcus

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
I want to hear more about this! Was anyone there? What can those of us who are far away do?
I can't believe he threw dishtowels at the mama!
: WTH??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.