Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When baby wakes up from naps, who here nurses or changes diaper first?

I remember this being an issue with dd#1, sometimes I'd changer her horribly messy diaper first, but then she'd be crying so hard by the time I got done I couldn't relax her enough to latch on right...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Depends. If baby seems to need to eat most, I do that first. If baby is calm and happy but has a dirty diaper, then I take care of that first. I don't think waiting a few minutes to change newborn breastmilk poo is the same as waiting to change an older child's diaper, iykwim.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I try to get poop cleaned up right away. Otherwise I would nurse first as a general rule because if you change the diap and then nurse you may just have to change it again

Laura

ETA: if baby was super upset I would nurse first regardless, a little breastmilk poo will not usually hurt for a few minutes.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
I'm sure this will change as poos get nastier, but both here. Latch on, then remove diaper. If it's messy, wipe it up a bit, but she's laying on a spare prefold in bed, so it's not critical. After a couple minutes when she's not as urgent about the nursing, I'll clean up a bit better and sometimes put the new dipe on her. Often we dont' bother with a new dipe until we're ready to get out of bed.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
My baby's opinion is that she'd rather nurse first. Since she doesn't get rashy (even from sitting in poo for a nursing session), and it's her discomfort at issue (not mine) I follow her lead.

Julia

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
i agree with following babe's lead. my boy wouldn't latch on if he was poopy (though he would act like he wanted to nurse, kwim?). he really liked diaper changes though, i know some kids really don't.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all!

Yes, i agree it is all about taking the cue, hopefully I'll be better at that this time around.
With dd it was just a rough time as I was trying to figure out cloth diapers too early and they were very frustrating, nursing was painful due to latching on problems, so she would scream through most of her diaper changes, adding to the frustration of trying to figure out the diaper....stressful times.

I also am going to hope to stay away from babywise brainwashing I had last time and would like to let him sleep after nursing if he wants instead of trying to keep him awake afterwards.

i have also heard of some people who never get up at night to do a diaper change but I don't understand how they do this??

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Quote:
i have also heard of some people who never get up at night to do a diaper change but I don't understand how they do this??
I only change diapers during the night if DD wakes up, and she rarely does. I work under the "let sleeping babies lie" mantra. I do use sposies, though. (And no, she doesn't get diaper rash.)

Esther usually wants food first, then a diaper change, but sometimes she's too fussy to eat unless I change her first. And, occasionally, Rob & I get together and she gets both ends tended to at once.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by simplemama
My baby let me know very early on that she did not appreciate me changing her diaper in the middle of the night- she ALWAYS woke up (no matter how careful I tried to be), and she'd cry, and she wouldn't go back to sleep for hours. I wasn't thrilled about leaving her in a soggy (and sometimes poopy!) diaper for hours, but she knew what her thoughts on the matter were. She never had rashes, so I figured, best to listen to the baby.

I put her in a very absorbent diaper for nights, and I always put cream on her before bed, and then we just sleep. To be honest, these days (she'll 11-1/2 months) she sleeps through the night, pretty much.

Julia

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.