Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NAK...

i didn't realize that there was such a problem with the nurses at hospitals deterring new moms from BF their babies. in the past week i have heard 2 stories (one from each of my sisters) of friends that were "scared" into FF. WTH? here is one of the stories. i felt i needed to share with you all and vent cuz it made me want to scream. i'm so sad for this new mama and her baby...

my sister's best friend had a baby. she left the hospital with every intention of BF her daughter. a nurse visited her a couple of days later to check-on & weigh the baby--the baby had lost a little bit of weight--so the nurse told her she was starving her baby by insisting on BF and that if her milk hadn't come in it wasn't going to (her milk came in a little later than most--about 5 days). she then told her she needed to start FF rght away b/c it was the same anyhow and her baby was hungry. this girl now thinks she's failing as a mother cuz she listened to the nurse. she's now being medicated for PPD and has serious guilt about not BF.

WHAT'S GOING ON IN OUR HOSPITALS???
THIS IS A TRAVESTY!!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I never believe anything a doctor, nurse, professional thinks. I always try to do my research. You would think a nurse would know...but many times the same nurses working in the cancer wards are the same ones out in the parking lot taking smoke breaks.

Delivering my first I had to be transported from the midwifery to the hospital and I was stuck with the Dr. on call. Well she delivered my son and next day came in to check on me. I was nursing, very new mom and she told me,"Don't nurse for too long you don't want to become a human pacifier." Unreal. Don't nurse too long a brand new infant??? OMG and this lady is a doctor!!!

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
umm last time I checked it was NORMAL for a baby to lose a % of his/her birthweight, despite being BF'd OR FF'd!

Talk about ignorance about BASIC INFANT DEVELLOPMENT.

My DD lost about %5-%10 of her birthweight, but gained it back in less than 2 weeks. not even..about a week and she was back up.

My midwives weren't concerned. said "Meh, it's normal, just keep doing what you're doing and if things dont improve We'll reffer you to a lactation consultant"

Milk came in at day 3 and kiddo chunked out from there.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
SEE!!! This is *exactly* the point I was making in the "Judging" thread. We need more women to know all about lactation so they can tell these people "you obviously know *nothing* about lactation, why don't you take some training so you can stop lying to women?"

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
The same thing happened to me
:

Fortunately I was too stubborn to listen

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rozzie'sma
nurses and doctors are not required to learn about human lactation
so true...but that being the case shouldn't they refrain from giving out advice about it? kinda like a dentist telling an OB how to deliver a baby...sheesh...

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Seeing stories like that make me glad I had the fortunate experience of being low-risk and not needing to be in the hospital when I gave birth. I was 18 at the time and I know that docs can be pretty forceful when it comes to young moms following the "rules". Luckily I had a great midwife and wonderful AP mentor who helped me breastfeed despite the fact that my daughter couldn't latch at first, ext. She lost weight but then gained it back, though genetics dictate that she will always be somewhat small. What matters is that she is healthy, and that she is!

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by foxyBFer
so true...but that being the case shouldn't they refrain from giving out advice about it? kinda like a dentist telling an OB how to deliver a baby...sheesh...
I agree with you. Unfortunately they seem to forget what they don't know sometimes.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
as an RN myself..... never trust a doctor or nurse. lol. im not even joking. We learned nothing of human lactation set aside maybe two days of instruction on typical latch "procedures", caloric content of human milk and the like. My dh and I were just going through my infant development books and the sample diet listed for a 6 month old was fruits, veggies and formula for breakfast lunch and dinner. then another 4-6 oz of formula for a "snack" before bedtime. literally it said at 5 months a baby is ready to be weaned from the breast to formula. this is what a lot (not all) nurses learn. its not nurses being against breastmilk, they honestly are taught that formula is THE way. I NEVER learned milk didnt come in right away and was SHOCKED when it took my own milk 4 days. I thought i was failing. and I am considered a licensed health care professional. We (as nurses and doctors) are not aware of any lack of knowledge regarding breastfeeding. we are taught that it is "ideal, not mandatory". "formula is FINE". clearly I do not agree, but it is what is taught.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I think that we need to start going after the nursing school accrediting bodies to change the standards of care so that human lactation is mandatory, not wasting energy on individual nurses. this is a defenite oppurtunity for change here.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by inchijen
I think that we need to start going after the nursing school accrediting bodies to change the standards of care so that human lactation is mandatory, not wasting energy on individual nurses. this is a defenite oppurtunity for change here.
i agree!! does anyone believe this is possible? cuz imagine how many mamas would get the help they need from day 1 in the hospital if ALL the nurses were informed about BF and not just the LC. that way the LCs and nurses can work together instead of giving out mixed messages about BF and FF to new moms. am i dreaming to think we can make a difference--and with such a huge undertaking?

·
Registered
8,658 Posts
Why, when every person whose mother's cousin's hairdresser's auntie knew someone who couldn't breastfeed, how dare you make assumptions, they're ALL experts. Don't you know?

Seriously, in all the debates, have you ever heard one ignorant asshat EVER say, "Well, I don't know much, but..." No, they're all 'up' on it all, we're just mean-minded exhibitionists who enjoy shoving our boobs in people's faces & acting superior. Because making women feel bad is why we all took up this cause, right?

You can't educate the unwilling, or those who don't realize & won't admit to their own ignorance. I'm ready to just start on the next generation of bfers. My dd's teenage friends are a whole lot less pissy than some of the hostile proactively ffing women I am seeing a lot more of these days.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Man, that's a shame!! Even though my hospital wasn't considered baby friendly... there were pro breastfeeding posters, stickers, notes, etc, all over the hallways. I loved it. Not once did someone mention formula to me! I wish more hospitals were like that.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by inchijen
:

Took the words right out of my mouth. If whomever it was could get together a large group across the country to make victoria secret wise up, why not try to work on getting it to be mandatory that doctors and nurses learn about human lactation?

·
Registered
8,658 Posts
I think, like promoting bris shalom amongst Jews, it really needs to come from within the community- medical in this case. It would be nice if organized outrage would be useful, but I have doubts they'll listen much to a bunch of laypeople, no matter how educated about bfing.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
I had my first in the hospital, and despite the concentration-camp-esq care I recieved, there was no mention of formula. No one brought in a gift bag, and since they knew I was BFing, they sent in a very nice LC. She had good intentions, but she was a little "rough" if you know what I mean, and I would have done better without all of the constant distractions and doctors and nurses coming and going. Every time DS and I would get going, someone would come in and he would stop nursing and I would feel like "OMG get the hell out of here!" Actually I was given a bag filled with lots of good breastfeeding information and TONS of mother's milk tea
My problems with a nurse started AT HOME with my mother, who is an RN. Paddy was a little jaundiced and sleepy, and I was having some trouble with engorgement and he couldn't latch for a few days. I was sitting on my bed in tears because my son couldn't nurse, and she says "Well maybe you need to think about giving him some formula. Not everyone can breastfeed you know...." and other totally inappropriate and unsupportive comments. I definitely agree that nurses and doctors need more substantial training regarding human lactation.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerTail
I think, like promoting bris shalom amongst Jews, it really needs to come from within the community- medical in this case. It would be nice if organized outrage would be useful, but I have doubts they'll listen much to a bunch of laypeople, no matter how educated about bfing.
This is not entirely true. The medical community has made a shift in the last 5-6 years due to failing belief and support of the medical community. There has been a large amount of "competition" sprouting up in urban areas. "Magnet" hospitals have become the desired labels. Hospitals are no longer managing themselves as "community service centers". The majority of major hospitals have had to approach the market with more of a "customer service" approach. Boasting themselves with their customer service scores. We are consumers to the hospitals, because we now have alternatives. (i.e. birthing centers, midwives) there has been a definite lean towards making the customers happy. If we approach it properly, like changing the laws in arizona, change can happen. We find doctors that are active members of the AAP to "sponsor" us as do representatives. We find nurses who support the cause and are members of ANA and NLN (the NLN is also the accrediting body for nursing education programs. I as an RN can
become a member of these as can other RNs that belive in this cause. We approach these people to inspire change, to these large groups, individual "lay people educated about breastfeeding" do matter, because we are THEIR CUSTOMERS. i think its worth at least ATTEMPTING. i know i would feel better TRYING TO GET SOMETHING GOING than to simply complaining about how powerless we are against the ignorance of doctors and nurses. focusing on the next generation id great, but what about women giving birth next week, or next year. we give up on them? because you cant teach an old dog new tricks?
i say we start writing letters, to see if there is a lot of support in these groups. we may even be surprised.

I also believe that anyone can join the NLN and participate in the development of the nursing community.

nln.org

1 - 20 of 41 Posts