Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently found out that I'm having a baby girl and I'm deciding on what her room's theme will be!

Whats everyone else doing and does anyone have any advice? I suck at decorating and I am so lost when it comes to girly things.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
honestly, Don't spend too much time or money as the baby spends very little time in their room (at least that has been our experience).

Also a room with solid colors like a specific wall color, pink purple pale green etc and a bedspread that mach gets outdated less quickly than a specific theme.

just my 2 cents.

Congrats on the baby girl!!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
I loved decorating my son's room before he was born and it has lasted until now, or really a month from now, when we'll move to our new house. He's three and five months.

I plan to use all of the same sweet bedding for the new babe. It's a really sweet mix of patterns and nothing too over the top boy... No balls or cars or trains. Its blues and greens and yellows, stripes and bubbles.

Something like that for your little one, so you don't feel overwhelmed by the girly. Like maybe no ballerinas or butterflies? Just pick a few colors that you love together and look for simple bedding to match?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am not huge on the gender specific colors/clothes etc. so I went with pale green walls, and the bedding is lots of soft greens and yellow with critters. The theme is sort of woodland creatures. Bears, ducks, squirrels. I'm also hoping that most of it will last a few years. I did the walls in mostly cream with an accent wall and some other green accents, so when I do need to repaint it won't be the whole thing.

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
The walls are a neutral tan-ish color (in my weekly belly pictures is the wall color). The theme will be Dr. Seuss. I got some wall stickers from Target and the other stuff will come from amazon. It should last through the toddler years, at which point one of two things will happen- we'll move to another house and totally re-do a "big boy" room for Sunburst or we'll have another baby and the Dr. Seuss will work for that baby.

·
Registered
585 Posts
So far our nursery theme is "mom and dad's room plus a bassinet from Craigslist". :D

I have no idea what we might do when the babe needs its own room. Probably we'll need a new house first.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Out kids were in our room for first 9 months. We only moved them to their own room after they started sleeping at night. Mine are boys and r we rent. We were allowed to re-paint. So, 2 walls blue 2 walls yellow. It was peacefull. We removed blind because they are huge strangulation risk. The rest was normal furnuture like crib, dresser, rug on the floor.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I'm not big on themes; for both my kids rooms I just picked a couple colors I liked and worked around that. So my ds's room is mostly blue and red, and my dd's room is pink and light blue. The new babe is a boy, and I'm looking at blue and pale green, maybe with some yellow accents. I really like Land of Nod, I like flipping through their catalog for inspiration. Their style is nice, not too over the top gender specific, just cute and tasteful. They have some fun artwork for the walls too.

·
Registered
282 Posts
When I had DD, her and DS shared a room. So I couldn't go all girly like I wanted. But then we moved and I had DD#2 and I painted their room a rather bright pink. They have matching bedding which is white with pink and green dragonflies. Green curtains/white blinds and girly art work on the walls. mesh dragonflies hanging from the ceiling on fish line. A couple of half circle shelves painted green with the centerpiece from the head table at our wedding (flowers in a metal pot) and a Willow Tree figuring. A framed poem about little girls. I found wooden letters and put each girls initials on the wall. ODD bed is against one wall and to theleft is a message board with all their bows and her inital is above that. And YDD initial is on the other side above the shelves. One thing I did to make it girlier was putting a canopy over ODD crib (she's in a toddler bed not and YDD has the crib) She had it since she was a baby and never pulled it down.

I kinda wanted to do a garden theme.....decals or painting flowers/grass/butterflies/dragons on the walls. A stone wall painted on the wall too. Floral vines above the windows and doors, closets..etc. But I fell in love with the bedding and got it cheap and I'm not redoing their room for another few years when the girls and DS switch rooms. DS has the bigger of the rooms and 2 beds will take up too much space!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowdart View Post

So far our nursery theme is "mom and dad's room plus a bassinet from Craigslist". :D

I have no idea what we might do when the babe needs its own room. Probably we'll need a new house first.
Yup! Ours is "mommy and daddy's room with a moses basket from dd1 and diapers/change area in it"

Dd's room has no theme but the curtains are turquoise with flowers which is what this kid will move into when he/she is ready for his/her own room.

·
Registered
6,956 Posts
Ours is a spectrum of rainbow colors, no other theme. So, lime green crib, bright red bedding, blue rug, yellow mobile, etc. Makes it easy to accessorize, just pick a primary color.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.