Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a very low supply from reduction surgery. I have been able to nurse DD half time for 6 months. (Yippee)

My question is how long can I go on nursing only 2 times per day? Will my milk dry up or will it stay as long as she nurses a just a little bit.

Please don't ask me to nurse her more. I am sure that at this point I only get a few ounces per day. If I spread it out over more times per day it just gets frustrating for everyone involved. A morning and evening nursie seems to work out for us.

I am thankful for the time I have been able to nurse her and just wonder how long I can expect it to last. I did do some searching, but I was looking for some IRL advice.
TIA

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate'sMama View Post
My question is how long can I go on nursing only 2 times per day? Will my milk dry up or will it stay as long as she nurses a just a little bit.
Yes, I think if she nurses just 2X per day, you will continue to lactate & you can keep going on like that. I have co-workers who told me when they returned to work, they didn't want to pump, so they had their babies fed formula at daycare, but continued to nurse evening & morning.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
No advice, but
. I'm also BFAR, and I think it's great that you're able to do two feedings a day. My supply is so weak that my DD really can't suck any out on her own, so I have to pump, and then feed her using a Lact-Aid or a bottle.

I've had to learn that the definitions of success really are different when BFAR, and I'm super impressed that you manage to feedings at breast a day. You go mama!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelaM View Post
No advice, but
. I'm also BFAR, and I think it's great that you're able to do two feedings a day. My supply is so weak that my DD really can't suck any out on her own, so I have to pump, and then feed her using a Lact-Aid or a bottle.

I've had to learn that the definitions of success really are different when BFAR, and I'm super impressed that you manage to feedings at breast a day. You go mama!
s right back atchya mama!

Thanks for being impressed. You know it wasn't easy. fwiw if you have a 2nd it gets easier at least it did for me. There is a possibility that your breasts will recanalize. You know more and you know better

I only made to just 4 months with DS and now 6monthw with DD.

I am impressed that you use a Lact-Aid! It's a step I was unwilling to take. We all have our limits and our own versions of success! Good for you for even trying. SOme women with perfectly functioning breasts don't even give it a try

And MegBoz I have heard that about WOHM - nursing before and after work. Very encouraging. Thanks for reminding me!

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate'sMama View Post
s right back atchya mama!

Thanks for being impressed. You know it wasn't easy. fwiw if you have a 2nd it gets easier at least it did for me. There is a possibility that your breasts will recanalize. You know more and you know better

I only made to just 4 months with DS and now 6monthw with DD.

I am impressed that you use a Lact-Aid! It's a step I was unwilling to take. We all have our limits and our own versions of success! Good for you for even trying. SOme women with perfectly functioning breasts don't even give it a try

Thanks! Yes, I'm very hopeful that things will be better with number 2. (If, when, blah blah...)

The Lact-Aid is a mixed blessing. I only moved to it once it became clear that we would have NO nursing relationship otherwise. And honestly, these days we usually skip it, because it really is a big pain in the butt. But, I feel grateful that I got to have *some* nursing time with her, and I'm very happy that at least I'm able to pump 9 ounces or so a day for her.

Best of luck with your ongoing feeding!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.