Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in agonizing pain right now. My left nipple feels like it has a knife sticking out of it. DS will be two next month and is in the process of ripping up my nipples and I can't figure out why. I have a HUGE, bleeding crack on my left nipple and a bunch of white raised bumps as well. When he nurses on this side, it hurts so much that I start shivering and want to vomit. He nurses down for naps and bedtime and as he falls deeper to sleep, he tends to start grinding my nipple with his teeth. I also think part of the problem is that his latch is a bit off right now.

I have asked him to be very gentle, and he really tries his best. I also have explained to him that he needs to nurse on the right a bit more often so the left can heal, and he is sort of okay with that as well. But it just seems to get worse and worse. Pumping the left side while it heals isn't an option becuase I never get more than an ounce any more and I need him to nurse so I don't get engorged.

What do I do?? I'm starting to resent nursing, but am still 100% willing to tough it out for a few more months (I'd like to slowly start weaning in October). But this awful pain is killing me.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Wow, that sounds really painful! Sounds like you have a few problems - latch obviously. Have you tried just unlatching him when he starts to grind? And showing him 'open BIG' stick your tongue way out. Have you evaluated for thrush? The white bumps make the think of thrush. It can be very painful (I had it for 8 months). I don't think pumping is the best solution but if you want to try it I would get larger nipple shields, sounds like you might be using the wrong size.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I have a 2.5 yr old and its just recently been painful too. I'm not sure why either. I think his suction has become so strong!! Anyways, I know I don't have thrush but I can certainly relate.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I'd check into yeast / thrush treatment too. That "ground glass" feeling is what I've heard it described as.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Does he use a sippy cup? Kids who use sippy cups sometimes develop what I call "sippy cup latch" and it can be very painful. Bad latch can result in traumatized nipples, which can result in yeast infection (thrush). I'd definitely get checked for thrush and adjust his latch. Some moms find it helpful to remind the child to "open wide" or have a "big mouth" for nursing. Make sure his tongue is coming out enough and cupping your nipple as well.

I hope you get some relief and heal soon!!!

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
DD had to be re-taught how to latch around that age as well.

A pp's suggestion to look into possible thrush is a good idea, too. You might very well have that going on as well, and both are super-painful.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Ouch, that sounds really painful. I'd also like to suggest to check for yeast and to get a treatment - quick!
The "re-learning how to latch" has been mentioned before, too. It might also be a good idea to make sure your little one has a clean mouth before he starts to nurse (no toast crumbs or shredded carrots allowed).
Get well soon!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.