Mothering Forum banner

Nursing Bra Blues

1K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  Cadensmom 
#1 ·
After posting for suggestions a few months ago for an attractive nursing bra, I bought the Bravado leopard print. While I love it as far as comfort goes, I dislike the mono-boob that hangs down to my knees (well, not quite that far :)).

So, I'm back and looking for a really supportive bra. I don't even care if it's attractive anymore! I'm a 34DD and am used to the support of underwire. I had been using Playtex bras and the underwire was cutting into my armpits. I'd like the comfort of the Bravado and the support of the Playtex. I caught a glimpse of myself at the mall and was horrified at the old-lady frumpy breasts in the mirror. Someone had mentioned using a real bra and lifting up the band, but I see this as being a huge pain and stretching out the bra. Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
I became a 36DD after dd was born (after being a 34C) and also was used to the support of underwire. I went ahead and switched to underwire nursing bras after nursing was well established and I hadn't had any problems with mastitis, plugged ducts, etc. I liked the Leading Lady underwire bras. I got the cotton style and thought they were very comfy and pretty, too. The hook closures on the flaps were strange at first but I got used to them after a little practice.

Here's a link to one I got from Motherwear (it was a Leading Lady, but I don't think the website mentions that).
http://www.motherwear.com/shopping/p...productID=1763

HTH!

#3 ·
I wear rugular bras for nursing but I pull the cup down under my breast. So when I buy a new bra I make sure the cup is strechy enough to pull under. For me it hasnt made them streched out doing it that way. Relaxed sports bras IMO make very nice nursing bras, lots of strecth for those ingorged times, nice shape and good support.

Cant somebody make a nice, pretty, sexy nursing bra?

#4 ·
Try this web-based business:

www.breakoutbras.com

The owner likes this bra and I have to say, it's pretty good, comfort-wise. It's ugly, but what the heck, do I need it to be sexy with my total lack of libido these days? I do not. I need to have the appearance of two breasts and I don't need them in my lap.
YMMV!

But she does have a large selection in a variety of sizes, and she gives good advice about how to measure. HTH.

#6 ·
Been there! (And about to be there again with dd2.) I recommend the Medela softcup bra. I know, I know, you're thinking that a softcup bra can't possibly support your big ol' breasts...but I'm telling you, it's the best, best one I've found, and boy have I wasted a lot of money on crappy nursing bras (big scratchy seams or no support or uni-boob).

#7 ·
try the mall store mimi maternity, I got a soft cup that has the supports on the outer sides. I think this is it http://mimimaternity.com/Product.asp...ct_Id=98673071 I recommend going there (if you can) and trying a bunch on.
I'm a 38E and desperately needed something that I could wear under a tshirt that didn't make it look like I had a uniboob at my waist.
Most importantly it is comfortable and the clips are easy to undo with one hand
and it supports my super mama boobs (and looks nice).

#8 ·
I think that only small-breasted women can really pull their bras up to nurse. If your breasts are too large, it may be impossible, or it would at least severely increase your chances of a plugged duct.

I only wear my Bravado under things like sweatshirts where you can't tell the breasts apart anyway. (I call what it does to me a uniboob.
) I do really like the Fancee Free bra that Captain Optimism linked to. I shop at the brick and morter store associated with that website. The lady who owns it is very nice and helpful. I do find that I wear one size larger in the Fancee Free than in other bras, so you may want to keep that in mind if you get one of those.

#9 ·
Oh NO!! Don't tell me I am not going to like the Bravado bras I just ordered. Everyone was raving about them, so I ordered a couple of them. I am large chested also, 42 DD, maybe DDD or E. I am squeezing into bras that are too small right now. I think that might be the cause of my plugged duct and mastitis I am recovering from.
:

#10 ·
I just got two Olga bras and a Leading Lady from breakoutbras.com and they're all wonderful. The Olgas are perfect--good amount of support but not bulky.

I also have a Playtex that I got at JCPenney, and it's good too.

Oh, and I have a Medela softcup as well, and though it's a great bra, I can't wear it anymore because it's the wrong size.

#11 ·
I like the Mimi Maternity nursing bras I have, as well. I got them at Marshall Fields. The newer ones are a really nice fabric - sort of a microfiber, I think. I prefer the underwire, but they have both types. I often have a problem with the fabric in the cup area sort of wrinkling (I don't know if I'm between sizes or what) but these lie very well. They are totally expensive though! The two I just bought were $34 or $38 each, can't remember which. At least they seem to wear well - I have one I've been wearing on and off for over four years.

#12 ·
I have had the best luck with bras from Motherwear. Their CService is awesome and they have a great return policy. They also have a Madela bra with an underwire for even greater... ummm... up-liftage
. It's my new favorite. www.motherwear.com

Also, I may be wrong on this, but I believe that Mimi maternity is owned by the same company as MotherHOOD. That company is heavily alinged with formula companies. I know that many moms of MDC would be conflicted by spending their $$$ there. Just my opinion!

#13 ·
i dont use nursing bras anymore, i now use a push-up bra that can be strapless so when i nurse i just un-hook the latch and fold the bra down. I got 2 at target for $11.99 a peice and i like them so much better than nursing bras. i just could not find a nursing bra that gave good support.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.