Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am almost 17 weeks and I am afraid that nursing my 16 mo old is causing me to have contractions. It is weird though because I am not sure they are contractions. I have some digestive issues that cause me to have cramps quite often, but lately it seems that the cramps go away after I am done nursing. I would think that I would know the difference since it is not my first time around but for some reason I can't tell. Has anyone else had this happen? Do you know if the contractions are a problem or just something to ignore? Or do I need to call my midwife? With DD I thought my midwife told me that one time she had to stop nursing her babe because it was causing contractions in her pregnancy. If I have to wean this nurser of mine it will be terrible. She nurses constantly. Now I am jumping to worse case scenario again. Anyway any experience or opinions would help
Rachel

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
We are hardly nursing any more so no first hand experience here. But from what I've heard it is not uncommon for women to get minor contractions while nursing. I think they only become a worry if you are considered high risk or have had other issues with the pregnancy, but don't quote me on that. I would talk to your midwife just to peace of mind.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I do know it's normal to have contractions while nursing, which is why after 20 weeks, if you are still having them, it is advised to stop nursing often, IF you have a history of preterm labor. If not, then I think it's fine. But I would ask your doctor/midwife/NP or whoever you are seeing.

·
Registered
9,304 Posts
my OB said that we were safe to nurse as long as we want because i have n history of pre-term labor.

I am not having any conrtaction with nurseing -- nak ---

are they really bad, or just BH?

Aimee

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.