Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have a "few" actual nursing tops and like them but most of my shirts are cross front shirts that I can just move to one side to nurse and then use a burp cloth to cover the top of my breast but not LOs face.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don't have any nursing shirts, just nursing bras. I don't mind being in public and nursing. Actually, my major issue is having my stretch-marked, not-so-tight stomach hanging out
: What I do a lot is layer: I wear a lose tank top underneath a shirt. The tank top stays down and I just move it aside up top (or pull down the straps some), and I lift up my shirt. That way I'm covered!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by angelapittman View Post
I don't have any nursing shirts, just nursing bras. I don't mind being in public and nursing. Actually, my major issue is having my stretch-marked, not-so-tight stomach hanging out
: What I do a lot is layer: I wear a lose tank top underneath a shirt. The tank top stays down and I just move it aside up top (or pull down the straps some), and I lift up my shirt. That way I'm covered!
i second this- i also take wife beaters, cut a slit into the neckline so that i can pull the tanks down over my boobs, and wear them under t-shirts.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I love my nursing shirts! I only have two of them, and I didn't think I'd need or want them. My mom insisted on buying me a couple, and I'm glad she did. I wish I had more of them b/c it makes it so easy to pop the boob in & out without stretching out my shirts. However, low-cut shirts work well too. A lot of my maternity shirts are low-cut, so the ones that aren't gigantic on me now work well for nursing, too.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I've given up on nursing clothes. They're expensive and get in the way more than they help.

I wearing nursing bras and tops that I either have open necks that I can pull down, or are loose enough that I can pull the whole shirt up.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
i love my tank with built in shelf. the shelf holds in the breast pads. i am small chested and dont use bras. i wear normal clothes over top.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have one nursing top, and I hate it. I never, ever wear it. I'm a huge leaker and my baby pops on and off a lot, so milk gets all over my top and I wind up smelling like sour milk all the time. Gross, right? If i just pull my shirt up, I'm golden! Milk gets on my skin but it wipes off!
Because of being a huge leaker, nursing tops don't work for me either. There doesn't seem to be a good place for nursing pads in any of the ones I've found that were reasonably priced.
I'm a huge fan of the tank top with a built in bra, it is my very best friend and I wear one most of the time. Even to sleep!
I have three nursing bras and they are great, I would definitely invest in those!

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
I dislike nursing clothes with a passion, they get in the way (for me anyway) far more then they are a help. It is much easier to just pull up your shirt and nurse.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chloe'sMama View Post
i love my tank with built in shelf. the shelf holds in the breast pads. i am small chested and dont use bras. i wear normal clothes over top.
:
Though the babe has blessed me with C's, they still stay put.

I bought a whole mess of $6 shelf-bra camis from Kohl's, and over those I wear something loose enough to yank up, low cut enough to yank down, or a cardigan.
I have one Motherhood nursing tank that is just more hassle than it's worth.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
no nursing tops here, i just wear stuff i can pull down. not a hassle!

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Target nursing tanks are the only nursing clothing I own. Nursing cloths are so $$, I'm just not willing to spend that much.
I usually wear a t-shirt or loose shirt over the nursing tank.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have a few nursing tops. H&M sells them and I love them.

They only have one pattern, i think, lol so I have the same t-shirt with long sleeves (all black and black&grey stripes), short sleeves (black and white) and short sleeves but longer so it's actually a dress.

Oh and two nursing tanks with a built in shelf.

The prices are very reasonable; i paid 25 euro for the 2 short sleeve shirts together. and I think 19euro each for the long sleeve ones. I got some of them in the sales so they were cheaper then, maybe around 15 euro...
They are nice, flattering shirts so I think it's worth it. Organic cotton, too.

And personally I think it makes NIP a lot easier and more discreet if you want to be
(I like being discreet, I would be uncomfortable with showing a lot of skin in public).

I bought the nursing shirts only a few weeks after dd was born, before that I just wore a top that I could pull down enough, and another t-shirt or something that I could pull up.
But the nursing shirts make it easier.

·
Registered
127 Posts
My little guy is only a few days old, but I live in my Bravada Nursing Tank. I wear it all the time. I need to get a few more. I am looking into getting a few nursing dresses though. I figure those are worth it for special occasions or church.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have some nursing tops/dresses from Motherwear that I like. I also have a couple that I don't like. I only like the empire lift nursing style. That is the only one that is worth it. The tops from Motherhood are not worth it, though they are cheap. I have several nursing tanks that I like and can put under any shirt.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have only ever owned one nursing top and that one went to goodwill last week.

LOVE nursing bras though, don't know how I lived without them while nursing first two dc.
I have always just pulled up or down my shirt depending on the make of it.

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
I love nursing tanks too, or sometimes I'll wear my belly band from when I was pregnant for tummy coverage while nursing. If I'm ever caught having to NIP while not wearing those, I just use a blanket to cover my belly while I lift my shirt and nurse.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I hated nursing clothes. It was hard to line up everything. I don't even do nusing bras - I just pull up my shirt and bra from the bottom. This is nursling #3 and that's still the easiest way. However, I'm short waisted and small chested, so that makes a difference.

*No nursing cover though I often have a sling on covering up a little. I usually take baby out of the sling to nurse and keep the sling on. However, once they no longer use the sling, then I'll have no cover. In nearly 6 years of nursing and NIP a LOT, I can only think of one time when I flashed someone. (And I was actually nursing in the sling with DD covered, but the extra material fell off her head without me noticing!)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.