Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Hi Mamas-</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have one DD who just turned two and she will have a sibling in March.  DD is still nursing strong and I hope to CLW.  I feel so grateful that nursing has (mostly) been smooth in pregnancy.  I can tell I had a drop in supply, but she just kept on going!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I think I'm confused about these next steps.  Right now I can tell I have some colostrum coming in.  Should I continue to nurse DD on demand these last months of pregnancy?  Will that affect anything for the new LO?  Will my milk come in sooner?  Also, how did you navigate being away from your older one for the birth?  How did you navigate those first transitional days, weeks, months into tandem?  Anything that you wished that you knew to prepare?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Any help is appreciated!  I'm so excited for this new LO, but a part of me is starting to feel bittersweet and a bit apprehensive about the change for DD and our nursing relationship. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks!</p>

·
Registered
183 Posts
<p>Have you read Adventures in Tandem Nursing? It covers your questions and so many more that you didn't even know you had!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Having just started on tandem nursing after nursing through pregnancy, I can tell you that it has been harder and easier than I expected. And totally worth it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>But just quickly, you do not need to limit your current LO from nursing. Colostrum, just like bm, replenishes itself. It just doesn't tend to provide as much in ounces, compared to bm, but it is more nutritionally dense and VERY good for your little one.</p>

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
<p>I am here 3 months into Tandem nursing and going pretty well so far.  DD1 had a hard time at first, always saying 'no baby hannah milk'.  That passed and now she just says 'no baby hannah both sides'.  For my sanity, I limited how much she could nurse, and that was actually not the right choice for us.  Once I was nursing both on demand, it got much easier.  I would say DD1 is back down to 2-3 times a day like she was when I was pregnant.  I have been surprised at how many people in my life are against tandem.... my mom who is very supportive of nursing had told me almost every visit that we need to stop nursing DD1, even to go as far as saying she is getting fat because of the unneeded calories.... </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyways, so happy to hear you are going to try it.  It is working really well for us!  I love it (most of the time).</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts