Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 week old sleeps beside me in a cosleeper crib and I have been nursing her lying down during our nighttime feedings.

The last couple of nights, she has been sniffly and had a drippy nose after nursing lying down. One of my previous children also used to drip milk out of her nose WHILE NURSING on a few occasions when I nursed her lying down. I am assuming somehow my milk is getting into her sinuses or something?

Am I doing something wrong with the positioning? Is this harmful to the baby? Why does it only happen sometimes and not others?

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I just wanted to post and say that the milk coming out the nose thing happened to me too when DD was smaller and we tried to nurse side lying.... I couldn't find any info on it, but the ped told me it was just because the space in their mouth was so small and she wasn't swallowing all of the milk and so some was flowing into the nose. So, I don't have anything to compare that answer too... but we started just nursing with her more propped up and it seemed to go away. maybe that would help?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm glad you are asking this question!

I nurse my week and a half old laying down at night as well, and just yesterday I noticed milk dripping from Saje's nose.

It didn't seem to bother her any, so I just continued and figured that I'd ask the midwife about it on Monday.

If nobody's replied by then, I'll let you know what I find out!!

·
Registered
483 Posts
My baby who is now 6 month old had the same thing happening exactly and it wouldn't bother him a bit. yes he sounded congested as he drank but besides that he was okay with it . The doc suggested propping him up on a pillow as I fed him lying on my side. That worked for us. Its only happened once maybe in the last three months or so. So it won't last for long hopefully.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
My youngest is 7m and she still does it, but then she also spits up through her nose. I was told by a LC that it isn't uncommon and not to worry about it. BM is naturally antibacterial and isn't going to cause infection even if they inhale it a little (very differnent then with FF). My DD has had several colds and it makes it a little worse but nothing to be concerend about -except the wet spot.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Ds did this as a nb too, I never saw it as a problem. I'd just wipe his nose. It probably lasted a month or two.

Dawn

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
It's actually a good thing

Squirting milk into the nose during congestion helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts