Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one whose little ones weaned already? Im soo sad that she weaned, I really really wanted to make it to two years, but we fell short at about 22 months. She doesnt want it at all, even trying to get her to night nurse. She just says its Dada's now...a little joke we have going.

Im really sad that she weaned, but happy we made it as far as we did. We had a major uphill battle to start from jaundice, to thrush to major strikes. I was exclusively pumping for quite a while due to a major strike on her part and we went from exclusive bottles for exclusive boobies. So I should be happy, and I guess there is hopes for tandeming (yeah right!) but still part of me is really sad. She is going to be two on Thanksgiving already.

Anyhow....anyone else in the same boat or do you all have little nurslings?

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
My DS is only 14 months old and he has definitely cut way back but is still nursing 3-4 times a day and twice or more at night. He still totally loves nursing. I go back and forth between having very little milk and then having some.

I must say, I wish we could cut out the nighttime nursing in an easy way. I know it wouldn't be, though. I do try to really limit the amount of time he can nurse at night because I work part-time and sometimes nursing just gives me the willies, to where I can't stand it. But mostly I am glad he's still going strong and I would like to nurse until he's two. The new baby will be born when he's 21 months old, so I expect to be tandeming...

It sounds like you overcame a lot of nursing struggles and did the best thing for your baby and toddler. Yay!! You should be proud!!

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
You should be so proud of how far you made it Kathryn! You did great! As for ds - he'll be 2 in 2 weeks. He still nurses like there's no tomorrow, but when asked, he'll sign that mommies milkies are "all gone". So, now he just lays in bed and pacifies forever. Part of me is really glad he still is; but at the same time, it's kind of annoying to be a pacifier between 6am and 8:30am when I finally say enough is enough and make him stop. But, hopefully he'll stick around long enough for some colostrum to come in and then want to tandem nurse too. He's very possesive of his milkies though ... I'm totally curious what he'll do when someone else is milking too!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Seeker, I have to agree with the pp, it sounds like you have overcome some major nursing obstacles and have done a great job

I know how you feel, although ds is still nursing, the thoughts of him weaning really make me sad. In fact when I got the BFP the first thing I did was cry because all I could think of was ds and his nursing needs

But nmow I fell that whatever is going to happen is going to happen, so I try and just go day by day. I think my milk has dropped considerably and my nips are SO sore sometimes, but ds really likes to at least cuddle and suckle for a bit every day and before sleep time...so we shall see what happens

It is hard being a mama, eh??

·
Registered
993 Posts
My DD (19 mths) is down to just nursing if she wakes up during the night (we cosleep) we are slightly encouraging her to wean - trying to cuddle back to sleep, etc. and sometimes she pulls of the breat and frowns at it and says "apple juice" so I don't think she's really liking the changes in taste. We are encouraging the weaning rather than vice versa because my morning sickness has been bad (not quite hg - I can keep fluids down most of the time during the day -but not always) and the nursing plus the dehydration & lack of nutrients was making me lose weight and exhausted - i.e. not able to walk down the stairs exhausted.

To the OP, I think it is wonderful that your child is so at peace about weaning! I am a little sad for our nursing time to end - but I'm glad it has been such a special time too.

·
Registered
711 Posts
My dd has cut way back to 2-3 x's per day. She asks for it sometimes and I have to say later b/c it's so painful. I want to keep her nursing b/c I think the tenderness will go away and then we can tandem.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Jackson is 14 months and still nursing about 4 times is a 24 hour period. I plan to tandem nurse, as these ones will also be about 21 months apart, but we will see how it goes.

I would be proud you made it to 22 months. That is a lot further than most people (and further than I went with my first two). It is hard whenever they wean. And if she weaned herself, than that is what she was ready to do. A great mom is one who can put her own feelings about what she wants her child to do to the side and do what the child wants...

~C~

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
We havn't weaned yet and my daughhter is 22 months. I had plenty of milk through my last pregnancy but I think it's drying up this time.
She frequently asks to switch sides like she isn't getting any and it just makes me want to
. I wanted to at least make it to two years. She has been so healthy but she is petite and a picky eater. I'm afraid of what weaning will do to her health.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My 23 mo. old has really cut back, with a little encouragement. She occassionally nurses before bed--haven't in the last 3 days, and she nurses every morning. That's it right now. I thought I wanted to tandem nurse, but am just really tired. I will be fine (I think) if she weans before baby comes. I am a bit sad at how little we nurse, maybe more nostalgic than anything.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Hmmm.. I guess I have a totally different outlook on the nursing thing right now than the rest of you. I would love it if my 14 month-old weaned!! He is a big eater and eats a wide variety of foods, so I wouldn't worry about it affecting his health if he stopped. But I have an incredible aversion to nursing right now, and it is somewhat painful. He only nurses a couple times a day, but what I really would like to do away with is the nighttime nursing. Ironically, I don't mind the nursing first thing in the morning when he wakes up. I guess I would just like some more rest since being pg makes you so tired.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Stacy, I hear you. I really don't mind when she nurses during the day, it's when she wakes up twice at night and nurses for about 25 minutes that drives me bonkers. I'm not sure what to do about it, but hope that she eventually night weans. Keep dreaming.....

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Holy cow! The boy slept throught the night last night! I went to bed at 11:00 (he went down at 7:30) and he didn't wake until 5:00am! I feel like a new person! I wish he would do that every night. I haven't had six hours of sleep in a row in over a year!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
congrats stacyl!! wow! isn't it refreshing?! im agree with you about the weaning. well i guess i don't really want her to wean, but cut back some! she wants to nurse everytime i sit down, if she hurts herself, if her sister takes a toy away, if she breathes
its just become too much! i wish she'd just nurse 3-5 times a day. i could handle that. i hate that i feel irritated when she's nursing and im want to be doing something else, or im feeling a little pukey...it makes me sad that i feel that way...

·
Registered
629 Posts
Kelly, I think that it is perfectly normal to feel that way. Just think about it, we're exhausted, queasy and drained, never mind taking care of our families and ouselves. We love our little nurslings, but ouch, it hurts!

B

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
thanks augustmom! today's been a pretty good day so far. its 12:30 and she's only nursed twice. i sat down at the computer and of course she came running over saying "i nursh, i nursh" i just diverted her attention to some juice. and she was happy with that

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
i think i've shot myself in the foot, so to speak. i've been redirecting carsons attention to something else when she wants to nurse every hour! i still want to nurse, but everytime i sit down she wants to nurse. so i think she's caught on and is having some insecurity issues. i feel so guilty cuz now i think she feels im pushing her away. she wants to nurse more than ever now and is clinging to me. she also has started to wake up at night again and want to nurse. she's slept thru the night for at least 6mo already....so now what i've tried to avoid, constant nursing, is now what she wants to do. i decided im going to stop resisting when she wants to nurse and maybe she'll feel secure again and not feel like im pushing her away. i don't mind tandem nursing, i just don't want to go thru a power struggle w/ her and have to deny her so that the baby can eat.

has anyone else tandem nursed? can they offer any suggestions? maybe any articles or books?

kelly

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChasingPeace
I, too, wish my 21 month old would wean!!! I thought we were going in that direction, but a week and a half ago he got sick and has been marathon nursing ever since. I honestly hate it.

Ditto. Alyssa had her first cold/fever over the last 2 weeks and has been nursing more. I am really ready for her to wean, at least by her 2nd B-day in February. I have NO CLUE how to accomplish that though. She only nurses maybe 2-3 times a day, but several times a night, sometimes all night long it seems. She is so demanding when she wants to nurse, I just don't see how I would even go about trying to wean her. Sometimes she will go a whole day without nursing, if we are out of the house and busy. But the next day she will want to nurse constantly. I just feel so run down. I have had a cold for 2 months now that I just can't shake. I have no energy. I just think nursing and being pg is really taking a toll on me.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommy2girlies
has anyone else tandem nursed? can they offer any suggestions? maybe any articles or books?

kelly
The LLL book "adventures in Tandem Nursing" has a ton of helpful information whether you end up tandem nursing or not. It has tips on how to handle nursing difficulties during pregnancy & I remember seeing a section that listed some good children's books to read to your toddler to prepare him/her about the new baby's nursing. My boobs have gotten a lot more sore in the past week (but the medication is finally improving my morning sickness
) Whenever I nurse it feels like she is gnawing on me - even though I know she isn't....getting very tiring

·
Registered
172 Posts
My DD is two years old today. She has slowed way down, with some encouragement. If you had asked me six months ago if I thought I would tandem nurse, I was all for it. Now--not so much. In fact, I would really like to see her weaned, maybe even giving me a month of having my breasts to myself (or at least no kids on them). Recently we stopped nursing to sleep, and if she wakes up at night I ask her to wait until around 5 or 6 am. She still wakes up at night, usually to crawl in bed with me and then maybe once or twice more. She nurses every morning, and that is pretty much it. Although, she has gone twice now with skipping the morning feed! She does ask for it occassionally before bed or during the day still, but I try to gently tell her that nursing is for the morning now. She is doing really well with it, and I am a bit saddened by how grown-up she is becoming, in so many ways. But, for us I think the time is drawing near.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.