Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to post a check-in thread for those of us who are still breastfeeding an older baby/toddler/child during this pregnancy! How are things going?

My 2 1/2 year old DD is still nursing strong at her usual twice a day times- in the am when she gets up (or a couple of hours before) and after afternoon nap.

My nipples aren't as sore as they were, and nursing her no longer triggers me to throw up, which I am SO happy for! I still seem to be producing standard breastmilk as I can see the white residue on my nipples when she is done nursing, so no change to colustrum yet. I was leaking colustrum at 18 weeks with my first pg, so I expect it to change sooner rather then later (I'm 17 weeks 2 days now).

I'm still not looking at weaning her unless she weans, but I do gently remind her of our twice a day schedule when she asks for more, though she usually doesn't ask. If she skips a feeding I don't offer either.

How is it going for you?

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
We down to nursing three times a day-- morning, nap and evening. We are cutting the length of those nursing sessions. We will be weaning. I've only nursed DD on one breast and it will be too difficult to tandem with one good "deedee." My other breast did produce milk but the nipple is much more flat and DD had trouble latching. I suspect we will go through the same thing this time around.

Anyway, my nipple is very, very, very sore to the point that I often shout/whimper when she latches on. DD just told me last night that she "really, really wants to have milkies in her DD's again."
I felt so sorry for her...

She has taken night weaning much better than I expected and doesn't even wake up most nights now. She knows we only have deedees in bed and is OK with that. Bedtime we don't nurse down anymore, we just nurse a little then tell stories. She's really good about that now. Nap time will be the last to go, for sure!

Good thread tempestjewel!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
My ds is down to once maybe twice a day or every other day even. He skipped 2 days a couple of days ago when I was at work. He night weaned and started sleeping through the night in his own bed about 2 months ago. That is going well. He actually lost interest in nursing because my supply dwindled right away it seemed like. I am 15 weeks now. We had never offered him milk in a cup before and he started nursing for 10-30 seconds and then popping off and asking for "muhk". Now he gets a half a cup of rice milk in the morning when he wakes up (and wakes his parents up
) and at bedtime. Our new bedtime routine involves LOTS of books and snuggling with him in his bed until he's asleep. I never thought it would go so well. I would really like him to wean completely before dc#3, I don't plan on tandem nursing.
Good luck to all with sore nipples! (Mine do feel like his teeth have turned into little razors, FWIW. Ouch!)

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
We're not planning to wean, but he's definitely not nursing as much lately. He doesn't nurse most nights, but I sleep in a different bed now, so I'm sure that's part of it. When I have slept with him when we were at my mom's house, he expects to nurse all night like he used to.

My nipples are, thankfully, much less sore these days. He was sick all last week and wanted to nurse round the clock and it was ok. The left one is still extra sensitive and sore compared to the right, but he's gentle if I ask him to be.

I never thought I'd nurse through pregnancy, but am glad he's still getting milk and that we still have that relationship.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Going well, and strong as ever. Ds is almost 28 months and is showing no signs of stopping. He nurses in the am from 6-8ish, off and on, then sometime in the first hour after waking, when I'm on the computer, anytime he gets really upset, at naptime, and before bed, maybe 6-8x/day.

Fortunately his nighttime nursing is down to nothing these days. Within a few weeks of getting pg, my supply dropped sharply and that coincided with him beginning to sleep for longer and longer stretches, till now he sleeps through 8-6 most nights. Don't know if it was the drop in supply or just coincidence, but I don't care too much... I'm just happy it happened

There are days I wish he was cutting down a bit, partly because of sore and sensitive nipples, and partly because sometimes his requests for "noo noo" really irritate me and I have a hard time letting him nurse. But my wish isn't so big that I feel its necessary to do anything about it. It's just a minor annoyance, and I really want him to have this security as long as he needs it.

Good thread!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I'm not planning on weaning DS, who is 32 mo, but also not opposed to it. We nurse when he first wakes & he still nurses to sleep at night (puts himself down to nap cuddling a blankie at daycare). I haven't checked to see what my milk looks or tastes like right now, but I can sense that it's changing based on how many times he switches sides...oy, my poor nipples!

Mainly, I'm interested in how co-sleeping will work with a newborn and a still nursing toddler.

·
Registered
12,302 Posts
Greg weaned last month all on his own.

He has no interest now and I am all dried up. Good Luck to you all, I hope everything stays well. Connor weaned too when I was pg with Greg so I wasnt really surprised.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
It is going better for us -- less soreness, but I still do have one nipple that is pretty much retired (until the baby!
) I had tried to cut back a lot all at once, but DS' behavior really went south. Now, he nurses about 3x per day. He is 3 years and 3 months old.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I still let him nurse on demand during the day. He hadn't felt well this week and had high fevers for several days so he nursed alot. The initial latch on is what kills me.. that and at nap time he falls asleep when nursing and he bites me (ouch). I know the standard take the nipple out bit and he wakes up.. so I trade a few nips for some sleep.

No plans on weaning... I just hope he doesn't mind sharing the "muhk" when baby comes.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm not planning on weaning - but I have been feeling kinda down b/c I think it's happening. The first trimester was a boobie breeze - but for the past 2 weeks I have been int errble "on fire" nipple pain and I think she can sense it. She is hardly nursing and pops on and off (much to my discomfort ) to sign "more" to me. I know my supply has dropped. I beleive strongly in child led weaning (for our family) and thought we'd still be nursing - but it seems like the end is coming nearer and nearer each day. I feel like me being pregnant has "pushed" her away from nursing and it's not seeming very natural to me lately.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Ds has cut back a little I think, but that's partly because I often tell him no, that's enough for now. He probably nurses around 4 or 5 times a day I guess, which sounds like nothing now that I think about it. I also take him off after a couple of minutes quite often, because it starts to get annoying.

My nipples are still sore, wondering if that's going to go away.

I'm planning on tandem nursing. I'd kind of like for him to keep nursing until the baby's here. We had a hard time in his first week of life .. getting him latched on and keeping him interested. I have it in my head that if ds keeps my supply up there will be milk there right away and the baby will have more incentive to just go at it, no problems. Of course there's no reason to think that this baby will have the same problems that ds did.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Nursing mama here : ) 1st born will be 5 in Sept. I'm not longer making milk. He nurses very early in the morning when he's super sleepy...1 or 2 times a week.
It's going okay.
It was hurting to do it for a few weeks but better now.
I notice that when he does try to nurse when he's more awake, he'll put his lips around my nipple and not suck. He even asked me "how do I nurse, Mama?" I don't know if he's forgetting how to suckle or if he's just being cautious with me because I was wincing for those weeks when my nipples were so sore.
Sound familiar to anyone?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Checking in and subbing. I don't know what to say because my emotions are so up and down about the issue. Sometimes I feel guilty for going ahead with getting pregnant now, because I truly believe that it's DS's birthright to receive human milk for at least the first 2 years of his life. But then again, we are only 2 months away from his 2nd Bday and I'm still producing milk at this point. Sooooo...

Nipple soreness seems to be much better than it was early on, though during certain times of the day it still really hurts. There are some nursing sessions that I still really enjoy (feel very loving, patient, motherly) - naptime in particular. And there are other times where it's everything I can do not to push him away because it's so annoying, nauseating, awful
- bedtime in particular.

He nurses MANY times a day, but we successfully nightweaned a couple of months ago, and he has started sleeping for 6-7 hour stretches for the first time in his life.
This was very needed - if only I didn't have to get up to pee every 3 hours!
:

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I'm just popping in here from the February DDC. I'm 12 weeks, so not that far behind many of you... just wondering what things will be like when we get a little farther along. I somewhat by accident found that eating oats has helped my supply a little (I'd eaten cheerios for few days and was able to express more than a drop!), but I don't let down anymore and DS doesn't do much swallowing. He's 20 months old, and I know if I hadn't gotten pg, he'd still be nursing along just as he was before this.

Tannersmommy, I understand your guilty feelings!! I have them too. Sometimes it's hard to be happy about this pg (I'm not unhappy, it's just clouded a bit) because I'm so sad that my previously excellent milk supply has gone so far south. And I'm not yet feeling/looking that pregnant, just sick and fat, so it's hard for me right now.

Hope it's OK if I stop by now and then... thanks!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Still nursing my 3 1/2 y.o. but he has cut way back since I got pregnant. He nurses maybe once or twice a day for about a minute. He actually skipped yesterday - first time ever. Only nursing from one side, the other side was just too painful - the painful nipples have gotten better in the last week or two - still tender but not as painful. I am still producing white milk but not very much. DS's latch seems to have changed too - maybe he is trying to get more milk so he is sucking harder.

I think I will be happy if he decides to wean himself. Only time will tell!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts