Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is it going?

I am thinking I will have to get the "Adventures in Tandem nursing" out of the library. I am feeling kind of conflicted about that concept, though DD surely isn't

My milk was all gone, but in past days, DD has been swallowing again while nursing. She told me my milk has come back and that it is different "But still tastes good"

My nipples are so sore. They feel like they do when I am nursing a tiny newborn. I had thought that there was nothing quite like that sensation but now I see there is. I always have a lot of pain in the early weeks despite good latch and all that stuff. I am starting to wonder if the pregnancy hormones are the cause of the discomfort. The pain goes away in the same timing as the hormones leaving my system after birth. I am going to ask my MW about this, see if she has had other Mamas exerience this.

How is it going at your houses?

ND

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
It hurts SO BAD when DD nurses, but she's only nursing about once a week. I grit my teeth & hold my breath & curl my toes through it. I'm fairly certain I have nothing in them right now, since Kayla doesn't swallow when she nurses. Hannah is done; I just couldn't handle it anymore
. But she still tells me she loves her Yummies, and kisses them, and says she can't wait for the baby to have Yummies.

I'm pretty sure it is the PG hormones, since it only hurts this way when I'm PG.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
We're still nursing, but DS is down to once or twice a day. There are days when he sits up and signs "all done" with this look in his eye, as if I've betrayed him, and I feel so bad because I know my milk is essentially gone. I know that if I really wanted to I could push the weaning issue more and have him totally weaned within days, but I'm going to let him do it on his own. He's getting to the point that he can just snuggle with me without nursing. We've NEVER done that! So I am enjoying a slightly closer bond with my son and I don't feel quite as resentful as I did before.

I just wish it didn't hurt so bad. I swear, he latches on with his teeth and chews while he swallows. ouch!

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
I'm past the pain part, and well into the "I want to crawl out of my skin" portion of nursing while pregnant.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Well every morning i wake up feeling engorged, but I know I don't have much milk at all. So I don't know why I feel like that. DD has backed down to about once or twice a day. I really do want her to keep nursing so that we can tandem, but surprisingly, it seems like she could wean herself before December. I never thought she would, but I guess the drop in milk just made her loose a lot of intrest. For me it doesn't hurt the whole time she nurses, just when she latches on and if she moves around while nursing. So it's not too bad. I just wish I had more milk for her. She says that sometimes I have milk and sometimes I don't. She does swallow while nursing most times, but not a lot.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
DS1 is only nursing once a month or so now. DS2 is down to 2-3x a day. And those sessions are getting shorter and shorter with my urging. Like a pp said, I could totally see him weaning before December with a little nudge from me. I really don't want to do that, but in other ways the thought of tandeming again makes me want to pull my hair out. I really did love it in the beginning though. I have major pain when ds latches on and then for a few seconds beyond that. I thought my colostrum had come in by the looks of ds's poo a couple weeks ago, but it is back to normal so I guess not quite yet. I was around 24 weeks last time when I started producing colostrum.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
We are still nursing sporatically here, not at all if we are busy or out and about, probably a couple times a week or less. I would really like to move past nursing DS and have a break until the new babe. I think my milk dried up months ago, DS still says there is some but I think it is because he thinks he has to stop if it is gone. It doesn't hurt a ton, but it is uncomforable. I don't want to push him, but I wish he would just really like the idea of being done, then on the other hand I get sad about that too

·
Registered
894 Posts
I haven't had any milk for a while, but that hasn't made a difference to dd. She's still been nursing 4+ times a day. Then last night I put on my pajamas and had to stop and sniff... sour milk! I haven't smelled that in ages! huh, I must have gotten some back the night before... no wonder she was the boob monster yesterday!!!

Have read Adventures in Tandem Nursing. Almost guaranteed to be doing that. I mentioned to dh when we suspected possible twins that I might want to cut her back, maybe wean her. Says he, "why?"

well it's just one, so she's still welcome to it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I think there is no more milk there for my dd as my right breast has returned to its original size (I can compare it to the left one which has dried up more than 2 years ago). But, my dd still likes to nurse, and I don't suffer any discomfort at all. She decreased amount of nursings quite a lot but still nurses at least two times during the day, before sleep and at least once in a night. Altogether, she sleeps longer stretches at night, I don't complain about that LOL. From nursing approximately 10 times in 24 hours two months ago we are now down to 4 or 5, quite a difference for me.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Ds#1 is down to nursing once a day most days... (2-3 times some days) Ds#2 is still nursing about 4-5X a day if not more...

They both say that there is still a bit of milk but I know that there is not much... I still have a good feeling that I will be nursing three in a few months...

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
DS's nursing is all over the place. Some days he asks 4 or 5 times, some days he skips altogether. Most days we're nursing at least once. I haven't been letting him nurse much on the left side, since it really hurts - it feels like he is digging his teeth in even when he has a good latch.
When he really needs that second side, he is good about just latching on for a few seconds and then ending, cause "Mommy has an owie there."

I haven't had milk for almost 2 months, I think, and I still don't hear him swallowing, but lately when I ask him if there is milk, he says yes. I don't know if he is getting a teensy tiny little bit, or if he just thinks that I'll make him stop nursing if he says there isn't any milk?

All in all, it is going well, though. A part of me is getting really nervous about tandem, but another part is so glad that I don't have to deal with DS weaning just yet.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Well, we are still nursing 1-3 times a day. It is pretty uncomfortable and I honestly don't think I have any milk but Elle says that there is milk so who knows
I am sort of hoping that she weans completly before the baby comes because I honestly don't know how I am going to handle taking care of a newborn, nursing on demand, tandem nursing, working my home business, and keeping up with the housework all at the same time!! I am tired just thinking about it!!

Amy

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Still nursing at least 6 or more times a day here - but I don't think there is any milk there.

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LizaBear
I'm past the pain part, and well into the "I want to crawl out of my skin" portion of nursing while pregnant.
OMG - Me Too!

I feel so rotten b/c he's wanting the closenes so badly, but he doesn't know any other way than asking for milk, KWIM? I'm working on lots of hugs and kisses and cuddles w/out milk being involved, because altho we've always done that a lot, closeness was always integral with milk.

We're sleeping in different beds right now b/c I just can't take the night nursing. He's been asking once a night at least, but either it's quick or I offer water or cow's milk and he accepts and then while I get it, he just falls back asleep.

I just use deep breathing and counting while he is nursing and usually I can get through a session w/out losing my mind. If it's getting dicey, I just say, 'Ok, mommy's counting to 10 and when we get there, milk is done and we'll do something else.' He's usually very readily agreeable to this since he knows what 10 means and he likes to help count. That's been working more and more. Sticker books have also been a godsend!

I hope it gets better for all us!

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LizaBear
Me too
and I feel so bad because DS needs it right now with all the upheaval in our lives right now but I just want to run when he signs for milk. It makes me feel bad because if he does wean I'm going to feel like total crap because my last memories of our nursing experience will be horrible.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
Well, things are pretty miserable around here. Ds has been nursing between 6-7 times a night for anywhere from 5-45 minutes. We have to take breaks if he goes that long because it's super, super painful. I had a singular goal of having him night-weaned by August, and that seems to have backfired in a big way. I don't know what to do, I'm going crazy. I can't sleep through it, because it's so painful, and so I'm beyond exhausted.

Any ideas? I really don't want to tandem nurse. I get sooo touched out with newborns anyway, I just know that would drive me to distraction.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hi Mamas. I am new to this thread, but thought I would join in. I am so glad to find a place to talk to other pregnant and nursing mamas.
I really don't feel like I have any milk left, but ds continues to nurse. I am ok with it because I do want to tandem nurse. My nipples are very sore, but I feel like I need to stick with it. I got pregnant sooner than planned and I don't want my pregnancy to be the reason for ds to wean.
I do have to admit I am bothered by night nursings. DS has been waking up like 4 - 6 times a night and I am exhausted. Any ideas on night weaning?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for checking in Mamas.

There is another nursing Mama in my yoga class so I have someone IRL to talk to about this stuff. Yay. Her 2 yo son is still nursing a lot at night too and she is starting the process of nightweaning. I am glad my little nursling sleeps through the night. Yikes.

Bigislandmama,

My Mama friend has her DP comfort their son. They cosleep. She moved to a couch downstairs because it is hard for her to be near him when he wants to nurse and she can't/wont.

When I was encouraging my DD to sleep through the night and not nurse, I would have my husband hold her and try to put her back to sleep. Usually it worked and she didn't insist on nursing, though if I was right there, of course she wanted to. Over a week or two she got in the habit of not waking in the night. It was very very gentle and she never got upset. And neither did I. My husband was a bit bummed about having to be the nightime parent
but hey, it was good for him!

ND

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naughty Dingo
My Mama friend has her DP comfort their son. They cosleep. She moved to a couch downstairs because it is hard for her to be near him when he wants to nurse and she can't/wont.

When I was encouraging my DD to sleep through the night and not nurse, I would have my husband hold her and try to put her back to sleep. Usually it worked and she didn't insist on nursing, though if I was right there, of course she wanted to. Over a week or two she got in the habit of not waking in the night. It was very very gentle and she never got upset. And neither did I. My husband was a bit bummed about having to be the nightime parent
but hey, it was good for him!

ND
Naughty Dingo, this is what dh and I just did, and it worked too! I'm so excited, because it seems like my ds is now night-weaned. I can't believe how quickly it worked, too. My dh slept in the kids' room and comforted him for about 5 nights, and then I was able to do it, too. Before he wouldn't let me comfort him in any way but nursing.

Anyway, I'm feeling MUCH better about our nursing relationship now. So much better, I'm considering tandem nursing. I was hell-bent on weaning him before this baby, but now I'm feeling a little more open to it.

So if anyone has tandem nursed before, tell me, honestly, what's it like? Is it exhausting? Does it drive you crazy? I'm going to post in BFing, too.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I definitely have colostrum now. I've been witness to the laxative effects of colostrum and it's not pretty.
His poo has also gotten super duper stinky, but I was told that's a normal side effect as well. Yuck! I guess a good side effect is that my little guy is really chunking up. He's still a skinny guy, but now he's getting a little plump, especially in his face!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts