Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wanting to check to see how everyone else is doing that is still nursing. Emma is still going strong with no end in site. She is getting better about letting me say no sometimes. I tell her that the hurt and that she needs to stop. She kisses my breasts and then is done. She has been sick this weekend and has been nursing non-stop. How much is too much when you are pregnant? The past few nights that she has nursed all night I began to worry. I havent had any cramping or anything, so that is good.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Still going okay, here. Killy hasn't slowed down too much, though he's practically night-weaned himself. I had no plans to night wean him, but he's started sleeping through the night - four nights this week in fact! (though not last night) He has a LONG nursing session when I put him to bed most nights, nurses when he wakes, and has a few nursing snacks during the day. If he wakes during the night, he only nurses a little bit. Just drives me crazy with latching and unlatching...

I think my milk has changed to colostrum already! I'm only 16w1d (I thought it happened around 20 weeks?), and for the past two weeks we've had NASTY poopy diapers. Like a newborn, except full of all the food he eats. He eats at least three meals of solid food a day - but is having 2-3 massive soft poopys, sometimes they're even mustard colored. This is a drastic change from the hard, formed poops he was having before two weeks ago. Anyone else dealing with this already?

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Ashe,

We're close to weaning as well. Since I've been pregnant I have absolutely hated the way it feels to nurse lying down. So I had to put some limitations on it. No nursing to bed at night, no nursing when she woke up at night, and no nursing in bed when she wakes up. We go down to the couch to nurse in the morning, but often by the time we get there she's forgotten all about it.

So since I put those restrictions on it, her requests dropped dramatically. In fact, last Monday was the first ever day in her young life that she went a whole day without nursing. The change from a few months ago is amazing.

Last night she asked to nurse after her bath for the first time all day and she latched on the left side for a second and asked for the other side (she's NEVER been a side switcher), and then nursed on the right for a couple of seconds. My milk is totally gone now. I've been doing the squirt test every couple of days and I was able to squeeze out a few dribbles, but now I don't get anything at all.

So I really think now that she might wean during this pregnancy. And I think I'm okay with it. I didn't have any plans to wean her. I was really open to whatever, even tandem. But if this is the way it happens, it's fine.

I do sometimes still distract her if it's not a good time for me, even though her requests are so infrequent. But we do nurse when it's a good time for both of us.

Just rambling now. Crazy emotional thing, this nursing.

·
Registered
51,189 Posts
I'm still sore but NOWHERE near as sore as before we night weaned. I was dreading the whole night weaning thing because I am all for CLW but it was really too much. I don't know if you all remember but I was complaining about the weird bite to latch on thing he was doing at night and even sometimes during the day. Well, that was what was causing the majority of the soreness. After our move, he night weaned himself, so there were only a couple of unpleasent night time wakings before the move. It's kind of weird but it may be that he completely wears himself out during the day playing and exploring in his new surroundings that he is tuckered out at night.

Well, last night was the first night he woke up. But his incisors are coming out and he was grabbing at his mouth so he got a hyland's and when that or the clove/chamomile oil gum rub didn't do anything for him, he got half a dose of childrens' (gasp) Tylenol. I really hate the idea, especially because I know how bad it is for the kidneys, however I don't dole them out for just any reason so I guess I'm okay with it. After that and a banana snack he went back to sleep next to me and sort of on my belly :fambedsin .

There still are times during the day when I have had enough so I count loudly and funnily from 10 down to 1 and by the time I get to one he is laughing so I cover up and distract him with something else. That usually works and helps keep our nursing relationship a little more doable with this pregnancy. Dh made the comment when I complained to ds this morning that he had been nursing for over an hour that I should just refuse the breast when I didn't want to nurse him because otherwise he would NEVER wean. I couldn't believe he said that. I told him I thought we had discussed CLW and was what we(I) wanted to do for our son. He seemed a little defensive and said never mind, I don't know what I'm talking about because I don't have breasts and I am not nursing or have ever nursed.
I don't get it.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think my milk is changing to colostrum now. my dd had 2 days of really firm poo. the past day has been just the opposite. She has also been nursing at night for a few minutes and then just laying down next to me. Something she has never done before. I think my dh is really hoping that she will wean soon.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I'm in so much pain that I've seriouisly considered weaning
She bites to latch now and it feels like shards of glass...I actually have to let out a youch which is not happy for both of us. I wanna call a lac consultant to see what she has to say...tho I'm not optimistic about any quick cures..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.