Votes: 12 10.8%
  • Like a Fish

Votes: 2 1.8%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And what is your strategy to minimize transmission to baby? Do you drink your beverage after baby is asleep in bed for the night? Right after nursing? Pump and Dump? Right before nursing?

I've been having a glass of white wine a few times a week and usually drink it right after I nurse with the thought that it will travel through my system by the time he wants to nurse again in 2 hours. What if I'm wrong?!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I usually have half a glass of wine mixed with sprite as a "spritzer" on most nights. I drink it with dinner and I never get a "buzz" from it so I figure its probably safe to nurse. I have read over and over that there is NO NEED to pump and dump, because as the alcohol leaves your blood stream, it also leaves your milk. With the minute percentage of alcohol that gets into the milk from you intake, I think its safe to have 1/2 to 1 glass and still nurse. I guess it also depends on your weight and if you are eating with it or not.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I voted rarely but I seldom drank before pregnancy, too. The two or three occasions in the past few years I have had alcohol, I'm pretty sure I had it while the kids were awake (it would have been one drink; I don't get drunk) and I didn't worry about pumping and dumping, nursing or co-sleeping because it wasn't very much.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxine45 View Post
I've been having a glass of white wine a few times a week and usually drink it right after I nurse with the thought that it will travel through my system by the time he wants to nurse again in 2 hours. What if I'm wrong?!
I do this too. Alcohol exits BM just like it exits your body. There is even a new product that you can use to test BM for alcohol if you need that extra reassurance. http://www.milkscreen.com/?gclid=COy...FRorWAodDh2LZA

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I rarely drink now, but I wasn't much of a drinker before either. Occasionally I will have a sip of dh's beer or wine, but I've not had the urge to have a glass.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
there's some great info on alcohol and breastfeeding (it's pulled together on the kellymom site at http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html)

Although I avoided all alcohol while pregnant and for the first 3-4 months of breastfeeding, after that I started having one beer during our "friday night" get together (parents and kids gathered at a local pub to socialize) and I would also have a glass of red wine with dinner once or twice a week.

Obviously I'm not drinking at all now since I'm pregnant again, but I didn't let a single beer or glass of wine worry me in terms of how much dd might get through the milk.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Nursing Mamas: How often do you drink Alcoholic Beverages? I have a beer or glass of wine daily, with food. Sometimes one of each.

And what is your strategy to minimize transmission to baby? No strategy. I never drink more than 1 beer and/or 1 small glass of wine and I don't feel it at all so there is no worry.

Do you drink your beverage after baby is asleep in bed for the night? Sometimes.
Right after nursing? Sometimes.
Pump and Dump? Never.
Right before nursing? Sometimes.

Sometimes I sip a beer while nursing.
: Really, I think it's a non-issue as long as a nursing mother isn't drunk.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I voted never I haven't had any alcohol since 10 days before I concieved.
So my last drink was over 2 yrs ago.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
I'm not drinking at all now cause I'm pregnant but when I'm not I drink occasionally... and never worried about it passing thru the breastmilk except one time when I got really, really drunk (stupid me!) and was throwing up and sick. I did end up pumping and dumping and didn't nurse ds until late the next morning. Not sure if there was still any in my milk by then but I didn't have any expressed milk or formula so I really had no choice. My son was fine but I learned my lesson. No double jack n cokes for me.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
One glass of wine is NOT going to damage your baby, especially if you drank it 2 hours before you nursed. Alcohol leaves your milk at the same rate it leaves your bloodstream.

I drink a glass of wine if it's offered. I cook with wine often and have a bottle in the fridge all the time, but it's rare that I'll have a glass and if I do, it's with dinner, which DD eats with us, which means she won't be nursing for at least an hour or so after.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I'll be honest I drink weekly, usually 2-3 beers a night. I have little concerns so long as I just casually drink. I'll feed her then start drinking, by the time I'm done a beer and a half she's hungry again, then she's usually good for the night. I Got a pamphlet when I left the hospital and it said it takes about an hour for alcohol to reach your breastmilk and the ammounts are pretty minute. The odd time I do drink heavily, I have no problem giving DD a bottle. Plus half the time she's asleep for the night. Oh and I never pump and dump. My theory is that if I am really buzzed or drunk I won't feed her, but once I feel normal again I will. No guilt here, and I have yet to see any ill effect, she doesn't even sleep longer like others claim.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
a couple times a week I'll have either a glass of wine or wine cooler or mixed drink (only 1 per night). then, about once a month we'll go out to eat and I'll have several mixed drinks. one of the few perks of EP'ing is getting to plan your drinking around your pumping schedule, lol.
on the few nights that I partied a little too hard, I dumped the milk out after pumping, because I couldn't wait until morning to pump again, I was still pretty buzzed, or the milk sometimes SMELLS like alcohol! YUCK!

·
Registered
735 Posts
I have wine with mealssometimes or one glass a night when I have a bottle inthe house. I dont have anything near a problem, but I dont worry about it in my BM because I firgure that in Europe there isnt an epidemic of FAS so whats the worry. Amerian researchers have only done reasearch on heavy to addicted drinkers, not moderate responsible drinkers. I am not too worried about it.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I'm pregnant so I'm not drinking at all. I used to drink quite frequently
I'm actually trying to decide whether or not I want to drink at all anymore. My body is so detoxed right now.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
There was a discussion here a while ago about the "proof" of breastmilk, anybody remember that? The general idea was that only a fraction (less than 2% according to Kellymom) of the alcohol a mother drinks makes it into the bloodstream. I believe the concentration in breastmilk is roughly equal to the blood alcohol level. If you want to think of the breastmilk as an alcoholic beverage while mom is drinking, that beverage is extremely low-proof in a mother who has had 1-2 drinks. Now the baby's bloodstream will only pick up a fraction of THAT.

Somebody had calculated out what "proof" the breastmilk would be. It's miniscule. The idea of a baby being negatively affected by it is like the idea of an adult getting intoxicated from a sip of communion wine in church.

I'm not saying that people *should* drink, only that the amount of scorn directed at women for enjoying a beer or glass of wine is ridiculous, especially when you consider the many other aspects of life/parenting that are potentially more harmful than this, but are considered to be "a personal choice".

1 - 20 of 26 Posts