Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we kind of have something similar already, but I thought it would be nice if we could keep this at the top of the forum and check in with each other.
I already introduced myself elsewhere, but I'm Jessica and my son Philip will be one on Sunday (so the kids will be 19.5-20 months apart). He is still nursing constantly and while he does eat solids, I don't think he can be relient on them for his nutrition. I plan to nurse throughout the pregnancy and then tandem. I believe P is still young enough that he needs all of the milk he can get, so I hope my supply doesn't take too much of a hit (or that he weans).
I also noticed a few others from my old DDC or therearounds on this list. !

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm nursing my 27 month old DS. He eats meals with us and sometimes snacks in between. He still nurses at night, especially from about 5 am on after his first long sleep. He nurses lots during the day, nurses to sleep, sometimes stays latched on for his whole nap. I'm curious to see if he'll keep up his ultra frequent nursing during the whole pregnancy, and I'm just going to assume I'll be tandem nursing, because I definitely don't want to wean him and I suspect pregnancy won't stop him.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm nursing my 9 month old but its getting so hard for me. We don't have him on solids yet so he's nursing 100%, but he's started biting me lately! My nipples hurt so much I hate having to feed him because its so painful. I hope it gets better soon

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Hi, I'm Sarah. My DD is 19 months, babies will be 2 years and 3 months apart. I have done some night weaning with her. We tried it out a few months ago and she wasn't ready, but the sensitive nipples of pregnancy had me trying again and it was easy! She drinks on a sippy of water if she wakes up, but she is now sleeping longer and waking less. She does wake up a lot earlier because I tell her that nummies are night night and she can have nummies when the sun comes up. So she wakes with the sun at about 5:30 AM!! We've also decreased her day time "boredom" sessions so she now nurses at wake up, at nap time, and at bed time but usually atleast one other time throughout the day as well. This is down from about 8 times a day before getting pregnant. I don't plan on cutting anything else back and if she is persitant I always nurse her so it hasn't been anything traumatic for either of us. I would be very suprised if she weans during this pregnancy. She is very attached to nursing and I am not ready to let it go either. I figure I'll probably be tandeming for a little while.

Greeneyes- That age was really hard for me, let alone being pregnant! I hope the biting phase is quick for you! As far as nipple sensitivity, you've probably already heard it but drinking LOTS (way above normal) of water really helps me. I can tell if I've been slacking on my water intake because my nipples get really sensitive.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I'm nursing my 22 month old. I'd guess that she nurses between 6-8 times per 24 hours. She is so attached to nursing that I can't imagine her stopping for anything - not even a lost milk supply! I also expect that I'll be tandeming for a while.

sarahn - nice to "see" you here!

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'm Amanda, currently nursing Zachary (almost 7), Haley (5) and Coren (21 months). Coren nurses very frequently, but has just started sleeping through the night at least half the time, which comes as a great relief to this TIRED pregnant mama!!!

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'm in almost the same situation except my baby is 14 months. I could really use the support thread too because she still nurses often day and night. I'm hoping to nurse through my entire pregnancy also and tandem nurse when new baby is born.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hi,
I'm Sharon, and I'm nursing 15 mos old Ephram. He currently nurses about 2-3 times a day. He'll be 23 mos when this baby is born. I don't know if he will continue to nurse or not, it seems that I already have colostrum! I didn't think it was supposed to change over until like 20 weeks. Anyhow, I also noticed that I don't hear him swallowing as much, so it seems my supply is very low already. Does anyone know, is it impossible to increase supply during pregnancy?

·
Registered
211 Posts
hi,

i'm jessica, and i'm nursing my 35 month old ds. he is currently just nursing for a few minutes before nap/bedtime for the most part. actually since getting pregnant he really seems to have cut back. it seems like my milk really may be gone already. anyway, it seems like weaning my really happen soon for us, so we may not be around here long. but i'd be happy to continue at our current pace for as long as he needs.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Im nursing my 36 month old. Mostly before bedtime and during the night. I had some bad cramping when she was nursing the other night and it totally freaked me out. But it didn't happen again, so I am hoping it was judt b/c I really had to pee! She seems to be nursing more since I got pregnant. I'm not sure what she'kll do when the milk dries up. I'll be a little sad if she weans--I reallly enjoyed tandem nursing my girls last time. But at her age, who knows?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Increasing milk supply while pregnant...
Nurse frequently, switching sides at each feeding.
Get plenty of sleep.
Keep well hydrated.
Eat lots of protein as part of a nutritious diet.

Herbals...
Nettle up to 2 capsules 3 times a day
Blessed Thistle up to 3 capsules 3 times a day
Dill up to 2 ml tincture 3 times a day
Marshmallow up to 4 capsules 3 times a day
(All herbals per Dr. Jay Gordon's website, if I remember correctly - please do the research yourself and consult your care provider!)

***DO NOT take fenugreek, fennel, or alfalfa while pregnant.*** Fenugreek is in "Mother's Milk Tea" - so don't drink that either!

HTH!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by east carolina View Post
I'm nursing my 27 month old DS. He eats meals with us and sometimes snacks in between. He still nurses at night, especially from about 5 am on after his first long sleep. He nurses lots during the day, nurses to sleep, sometimes stays latched on for his whole nap. I'm curious to see if he'll keep up his ultra frequent nursing during the whole pregnancy, and I'm just going to assume I'll be tandem nursing, because I definitely don't want to wean him and I suspect pregnancy won't stop him.
this sounds exactly like my 20month ds. he still nurses to sleep, stays latched on at nap in arms for a few hours, and enjoys open bar from around 5am-8am. any boy do my nipples all of a sudden hurt. it happen within a day of finding out I am preggo

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Well we are having what I hope is a break through dd has slept through the night 2 nights in a row now!!! I am praying that she keeps this up bc it makes it a whole heck of alot easier on me during the day keeping up w/her.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Count me in! I'm nursing my nearly 22 month old. We started night weaning when I got pregnant, but before I knew. My nipples were so sore and the all night snack bar was killing me! Now he's doing great at sleeping about 7 or 8 hours through the night and like others, wakes at the crack of dawn 5ish and nurses for an hour or two. Nap, bedtime and another time or two during the day.
I also think I've had dips in my supply, I noticed him working harder and even biting me (in frustration?) last week. Seems to be better now but I do think he is eating more.

Nice to be here with you all!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Hello! My DD just turned 3 in May. She is sleeping through the night (phew!). She nurses 2-3 X's a day, unless she is ill and then it's non-stop. Lately she has been wanting to nurse for longer periods of time and refuses to let go of her latch when I count down to a finish time. I think it's because she knows there is a big change coming and she might be feeling slightly insecure about it. It drives me batty that she won't let go of me, but I'm trying to be understanding with her feelings. At the same time I have an overwhelming to desire to wean.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Selesai View Post
I already introduced myself elsewhere, but I'm Jessica and my son Philip will be one on Sunday (so the kids will be 19.5-20 months apart).
I'm Melissa and my ds will be one on Monday! So I'm looking at a 20 month spread, too. I don't think ds is anywhere near being ready to wean, so I too hope my milk stays flowin'. DS has gotten SUPER restless lately while nursing - he hardly sits still long enough to nurse! I don't know if that's just from his age or something with my milk. I hope to tandem nurse for quite some time as well.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.