Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help--I just found out I have a high level of manganese in my blood and don't know what to do since I'm still nursing my 16-month-old son. I have no idea if I'm currently being exposed to manganese (I'll test my water and so on) or if it happened a long time ago (I've lived in a polluted city in Russia, among other places). My son will be tested also, but the results will take a while. Also, if I was exposed to manganese before or during pregnancy, it could have affected his brain development even if it doesn't show up in his blood now.

Do I keep nursing?
Do I consider chelation or other therapies? Even while breastfeeding?

I'm just starting my research and need help. Is there another Mothering forum that would have good advice on toxic metals and treatment?

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Can you have your milk tested as well? There are some drugs that don't pass into breastmilk in large amounts and I would imagine that would apply to other toxins as well, so unless they test your milk or they have evidence in the form of actual research - not their opinions! - that manganese does pass to bm in relatively high levels, I wouldn't automatically conclude that there are dangerous levels in your milk, kwim? I am not a doctor OR a scientist, but if it were me, I would keep bfing until you get evidence that it is in your milk in high levels. The reason is that once you stop, it may be nearly impossible to relactate and you could find out later that your milk isn't hurting him. It's a hard decisions though and I really feel for you having to make it! Whatever you do, I'm sure it will be the right decision for you. Maybe you could try posting in the health and healing forum?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.