Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I still don't think this is 'BF beyond infancy' she is still clearly an infant
but here it is anyway)

My babe just started solids right before she turned one year. Before she'd eat once a night for about 20 minutes (unless she hit a growth spurt), now it's 2 or more times a night, and sometimes all night long. Do you think this is in relation to her eating solids? I don't think she's having a growth spurt, it's not the 'I'm hungry all the time' thing.

Still nursing about every 3 hours during the day, more in the evenings. We didn't spoon feed but waited until she fed herself, which happened right around 11-1/2 months. She turned 1 on the 13th.

Thanks!
Cara

·
Registered
502 Posts
My child nurses more at night.. whenever he gets in the mood. Seriously, I've stopped trying to figure it out!

Teething, wanting to connect with mom after a busy day, anything like that seems to cause it. Eating solids didn't make him nurse any less, despite what those mainstream types say. :) ACtually, now that he's more mobile, he is so busy during the day that he may nurse a bit less during the day, but he makes up for it at night. Any chance this is what your child is doing?

·
Registered
305 Posts
I agree with the previous mama! My DD is almost 18 months and is big on nursing and she eats fairly decent during the day. She doesn't have huge meals, but I don't think she is starving either. Anyway, she loves to nurse and it shows at night. I don't know what it is either. Some moms I know just wean their babes so they don't have to deal with it. I don't really mind since I can't imagine a better way to put her back to sleep at 4:00 A.M.

·
Registered
833 Posts
My DS awakened at least once to nurse for 20+ months and it did seem to pick up after a year. He's 2 now and if I make sure to give him a yogurt or another good snack near bedtime, he sleeps through the night. I offer him water or milk at night as well, hoping to satisfy the need that way.

But when he was little like yours, he needed to nurse for comfort and a snack. Like many things, it will change.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.