Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nursing portrait

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went to have my 3 month old ds's pictures taken yesterday. I have always gone to Sears for my kids pictures and we have almost always had a good experience...until yesterday. I wanted to get a picture of my son with the angel wings. I have an angel picture of each of his sisters at the same age, and I thought it would be nice to have one of him too. After taking pictures of all three kids together and individuals of each, I find out they do not have the wings anymore or the star or the golden diaper cover . So I asked if I could get a picture of him nursing. At first the photographer said that I could hold him and pretend to nurse him. I said that I wanted to be able to see his lips in the cute latch. She did take the picture, although she was very unsure. I came out beautiful, it was a close up of his face and he had a perfect latch! We were getting ready to go when, she left and got her manager. I was then told that I could not get that picture. I guess they can't take a picture with "that" in it . I argued a bit, apparently it's fine to take a picture of a baby with a bottle in it's mouth. I left without purchasing any of our pictures, I also called their corperate office and got no where with them. I guess I'm going to write a letter. I can't believe they wouldn't let me have my picture! This was in the SF, SD store. WWYD?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Honestly, I think I would be as upset as you are. But then I'm wondering what really could be done? I don't know? I think writing a letter to as many people would be a good idea just to let them know about the naturalness of breastfeeding and that it's not purvy. I'm just thinking though that if that's their store policy it's not likely they would change without a big push (since it's not a public service).

I guess the only difference it would make for me is why in particular they can't do that shot. One thing that came to mind is maybe they're trying to protect your privacy (aka... their own butts). HOwever, I think I have heard of someone getting a nursing picture at a Sears store... maybe it's just the manager. at that store.

I would be curious enough to ask what exactly their company policy is though... if they were willing to do a pretend shot... then why is doing it for real such a problem. And perhaps it was the photographer who felt uncomfortable...

Now please don't get me wrong I'm not saying any of these things as endorsing or agreeing with what they did.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
We got all R's pictures taken at that store (not nursing). They used to be great! But since around when he turned 18 months, the photographers changed (the ones we liked were let go by an awful manager from Sioux City who was always rude to the customers when she was there) and replaced with what I can only describe as personality-less drones. When I took M for her newborn shots, the girl wouldn't let me do a bare-bottom shot... and those are shown all over the studio! I said I wanted to change her out of her clothes, and she kept saying, "and put on a diaper, right?" The pictures turned out cute... but not what I wanted.

This doesn't help with the Sears issue, but if you're still looking for nursing photos, I know a wonderful mom in SF who takes pregnancy/birth photos. She may be willing to take nursing photos, too (I don't see why she wouldn't).

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I just received an email asking me to complete a survey about my last portrait purchases there and how likely I am to return. I didn't mince words and made it very clear that I would not be returning if it weren't for the smile saver membership we were given and explained it was because a friend was not allowed to purchase the tasteful nursing portraits that were taken. I through around the "D" word (discrimination) and said I was disgusted that this was even an issue. I also asked if they were refusing to sell portraits of babies drinking from bottles, too.

I'll let you know if I hear back from them.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm angry for you! My sister used to be a manager of the Sears Portrait Studio here (Blngs, MT). I'm going to ask her if she knows anything about something like this. That's ridiculous, imo! Totally discrimination! I would have been furious!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Will they give you the nagitive or put it on a disk for you? Then they are not developing it you can. Unfortunally, living in SF it does not suprize me. But if you would liek to do some sort of postest, I am sure we could find a few mom to help out. Most have nursing toddlers what would they say to that?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They said they couldn't even print it out right there for me, they had to erase it immediately or it would go to their corporate headquarters and the manager would lose her job! I wouldn't mind a protest, but I don't think it would do any good. I've talked to several people in management and written a letter. The only response I get is "it's our company policy".

·
Registered
816 Posts
I there, this is my first post here in the tribe area... I think it really stinks that you were treated like that. I would love to assist in any way possible... I'm a photographer in Fargo. I could do a bunch of nice nursing pics and we can go and protest at the studio there
Probably wishful thinking since I'm so far away, but man I'd love to help somehow!

My question is, what part of it is company policy? I guess I can see if they say "no nudity" well, you WERE covered up right?! Its not like you were just showing the areola or something. Or if they say the sitting was for one person and you got in there so therefore you need to pay an add'l sitting fee or something. But I guess I don't understand what part is the policy?!
:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm in the SF, SD area, and I know that myself and at least one other mama (but I think there would be more, too) would be intersted in a nurse-in if you wanted to go that route. It may not get them to give you the picture (it sounds like it's gone), but would at least show solidarity for nursing moms. I would be very pissed if they did that to me.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
When I went in to pick up my portraits the other day, I went off on the manager. She was being kinda witchy anyway, but then when I said I was tired of this store, she said, "I personally did your session and I thought it went well." I said the session itself went well, but then when she made me and my hungry baby wait while she did the next session with a different photographer instead of reviewing my portraits so I could order and leave, that was the last straw. She questioned what other problems I had... and I ripped into her.

I said I was disgusted that they wouldn't let a friend of mine purchase her nursing photos when they were taken. She told me she wasn't the manager at that time. I told her that was bull #$%^ because it was just a few months ago. She quickly changed her story to she was on vacation that week. She said it wasn't their store's decision, it was regional or district or something. I said that wasn't possible as the photos were taken and you weren't allowed to buy them less than 30 minutes after the fact. She said that it went to legal - that they weren't allowed to sell them. I said that didn't make sense... why were you allowed to take them then if you couldn't sell them... and were they also refusing to sell photos of babies drinking from bottles as well? She said she totally agreed with me - that it didn't make sense, but it wasn't her decision to make - but she couldn't explain why friends at other Sears Portrait Studios around the country were allowed to take and purchase nursing photos if that was the case. Every point I came up with, she back-pedaled. She tried to also cover up an error with my smile saver membership (gift from my mom - I totally wouldn't be going back there if that hadn't been given to me), but I wouldn't leave without my card being given to me in case we are out of here before 9 month photos would be taken. She said she hoped I had better luck with another SPS when I moved. I told her that I hoped so, too... but that if I was still stuck here when the next portraits were due to be taken, I hoped they could come up with a more professional atmosphere and take credit for their own issues rather than trying to pass them off on someone else.

I will also be complaining to the main number about them (again) - not only about the nursing portrait issue but about their total lack of professionalism in general. Just an FYI

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Gen! We just went and had Connor's 6 month pictures taken (at WalMart), at least I got my angel picture of him, finally. I'm so fed up with Sears that I will never ever have pictures taken there again! I totally agree that they have lost alot of the professionalism that they used to have. When I was there, our photographer was sooo young and really didn't seem to know what she was doing. She was also wearing a pair of slacks that wouldn't stay up and her butt crack was sticking out every time she bent down to get the kids set up right! Anyhow, I would still love to get a nursing portrait but would hate to go through that again. I would really be up for a nurse in if anyone else wanted to! Any day, any time, I'll be there!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Oh, pictures of nursing are so dirty, aren't they
: . Seriously, sounds like discrimination to me! We can look at artificial nipples all day long, on baby shower invites, birth notices, on tv, in commercials, but don't dare show the real thing (covered by the perfect latch, nonetheless!). Its just infuriating!
:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.