Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nursing support thread!

Anyone else here still nursing a DD or DS?

I am nursing 19 month old DS, and youch, is it unpleasant these days. It's not HORRIBLE yet, but not as carefree as it used to be. My nipples are burning by the time he's done.

I am trying to figure out how to wean him, but I'm just not sure how to do it without feeling like a COMPLETE jerk.

He only nurses about 2 minutes per DAY total anymore, but wants to do it right before bed. If I am in the house at bedtime, he wants ME, not DH.

Maybe my milk will just dry up and he will lose interest?

Anyone else in this position or have experience with this?

This can generally be a nursing support thread, too, whether or not you are currently nursing or planning to wean or not!!

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
I'm still occasionally nursing ds, 2.5. He'll go days without nursing then for a while nurse daily. He's def heading towards weaning though. I have noticed a little pain with nursing. Not sure if that's just because of the long breaks inbetween or what. Because I got to 11 weeks pg in nov and my breasts didn't hurt at all.

If you're considering weaning do it gently. Try to replace the time spent nursing with reading a book or something else he enjoys. Though chances are your milk will change and start to dry up, so if you're ok with nursing for a couple months still, he'll prob wean on his own. :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm still nursing my 13 month DD2. She still nurses 4-5 times a day and thankfully I still have quite a bit of milk. And also thankfully I'm not feeling any pain yet. I also nursed DD1 through the first half of my second pregnancy. She was never a comfort nurser, only nursed for food and she slowly weaned herself through the pregnancy. My milk took a huge dive at about 20 weeks and she was completely done after that. I was sad about it but happy that it was on her terms. She was only 17 months old at the time. I'm hoping I can get DD to 18 months before she weans, if she does.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I'm nursing my 2 year old (his birthday is today!). I've found that it is a little bit irritating but not really painful yet. DS is a big nurser but today, probably because he was much too busy with lots of gifts and fun, he barely nursed. I was honestly pretty sad. I did wonder if my supply was already down or whether there were some taste changes.

Actually, DS has a hideous rash all over him at the moment, and it did coincide with me being pregnant. Has anyone heard of an infant/toddler reacting weirdly to mama's milk once she is pregnant?

·
Registered
373 Posts
Nursing 2 DDs - 3yo and 17mo. 3yo nurses 3-4/day and 17mo varies...probably 6-8. When I was pregnant w/3yo I was nursing her brother and my supply was fine. While pregnant with the 17 mo I was nursing the older 2 and my supply really dwindled. DS self weaned then. I hope to encourage the 3yo to wean before March!

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I'm still nursing my little guy who will be 21 months on Sunday. He couldn't care less, though, lol. It's like a once/day or every other day thing for him, and not at any consistent time of day or anything, just whenever. Not painful yet. I got to about 3 months when PG w/ DS and nursing DD before it got too painful, but I'm hoping to stick it out a little longer this time.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
zubeldia, I have not heard of a reaction to hormones or anything for LOs who are nursing when the mama is pregnant...I'd be interested to hear if you find anything.

Wow, MrsSurplus, you can nurse that much and still get pregnant??? Good on you!!!!

I don't know why, but it is already painful for me. My nipples burn! Especially the left one, which DS favors.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm still nursing my 27-month old DD, anywhere from 4-6 times a day. It really is getting more and more painful for me. I mentioned on another thread that it feels like she's nursing shards of glass out of me. I do already notice a change in my supply so I'm hoping it's going to be a gradual and gentle weaning process.

Nice to see so many of you from the Nursing Mamas TTC thread - congratulations ladies!!!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Thank you for this thread! I'm nursing a 27 month old DD. She still nurses like 30 times a day including several times at night. I got pregnant in my second cycle that had a long enough LP. I've already been experiencing some discomfort as well, but we're working it out. We're trying out different positions, and she's working on opening her mouth big. As soon as I got pregnant, she significantly increased her nursing (and my supply) and then her last molar came in last week. Now, she's loving my right side, which I can't stand. I've slept on my right breast to get her to drink the left one, and that was pretty stupid. An increased supply, denying her her favorite breast, and sleeping on it instead.... and I now have a plugged duct... just what I need right now between being pregnant, exhausted, and chasing a toddler.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post

An increased supply, denying her her favorite breast, and sleeping on it instead.... and I now have a plugged duct... just what I need right now between being pregnant, exhausted, and chasing a toddler.
UGH! Miserable!

Cellist: Yes, yes I can. LOL. I commented on a Dugger thread recently...when someone mentioned that you have to wean early to get pregnant that frequently - apparently not!

On soreness: my nipples are slightly more tender lately - and I have definitely experienced that in past pregnancies and I have found that even young nursers can understand the request to be more gentle. I praise the right response ("thank you, that really helps Mommy") and let them know if they're being forgetful about mommy's need for gentle nursing. I also, when I remember, try to feed up the 3yo before bed in hopes that she'll nurse once or less at night. (Last night we ate too late and she wanted to go to bed instead of eat - and I paid for that most of the night!)

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
My plugged duct seems to be mostly cleared now, and it isn't hurting as much to have her nurse on my right side. The plug was right inside of my nipple. I could feel the duct was hard and painful, and I think that was part of my problem. Every time she latched onto that side her lip was pressing on my painful plug. I thought it was just pregnancy and nursing colliding. Now that the plug is clearing, things are feeling better to nurse on that side again.

MrsSurplus, I totally hear you on feeding my DD before bed. I can get a good, solid 5 hours of sleep if she has a good snack before bed.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
William hasn't nursed in at least 3 days. I don't think it's over yet but his gaps are getting bigger!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am so happy to see this thead... I just got my bfp today and am still in shock I am pg. I am still bfing my son he well be 2 in aug... I have been having tender nips too. He like to sit next to me and sit and face the tv and bf and it hurts. I have been working with him that he has to lay on my lap to bf or sit still facing me... Any of you have morning sickness yet? I am hoping I don't get it this time but I have been sick with each one and each time it is worst then the last...
greensad.gif

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
It's good to see you here, littlestinkers! I had early symptoms with both pregnancies so far, but the early symptoms seem to be more intense this time. I don't know if it's because I'm BFing (one of my earliest symptoms was sore nipples when nursing), or if it's just that it's a different pregnancy. I'm taking it as a good sign. My mom had several miscarriages, but every time she had morning sickness, the baby was fine.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I'm still here. Been having some nipple sensitivity when my shirt rubs across them, but as of this morning, no pain while nursing yet. Will be 6 weeks tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
This is the first time ever I've been pg while nursing. Thankfully it's not causing discomfort. But DS is 16 months old, doesn't nurse during the day anymore and half the time doesn't seem to be getting the satisfaction he's looking for.

He'll nurse and stop in his own then roll into another position like he's going to doze off for a bit then he'll get up and squirm and cry.

If I nurse him again he calms down but then it often just happens again.

I'm noticing it more and more. Not sure what to do.

Tried just not nursing him but he tosses and turns and cries and just never settles. Well, never as in, for at least half and hour then I try something else. lol

·
Registered
911 Posts
Wow! There are a ton of nursing mamas here! That's really nice to see.

I'm still nursing Renny, who turned three last March. I was trying to gently wean her before getting pregnant because I didn't really want to be nursing and pregnant, but we got stuck on the early morning, cuddle-in-bed nurse. She nurses for literally only 10-20 seconds a day, although she swears there's still milk in there. Now that I'm pregnant, I don't want to force the weaning because I don't want her to associate it with little sibling. So, we'll just take it as it comes. I'll be interested to she how she responds to any changes in taste, and (if she's still nursing) how she likes the new supply come next March!

·
Registered
465 Posts
My DD is 13 months and still nursing 4-5 times a day. I'm not having any pain while nursing but in the last couple of days each time she nurses I get major cramps. I'm sure everything is fine and normal but I really don't like it. Is anyone else having any cramping while nursing?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Girl View PostIs anyone else having any cramping while nursing?
Not currently, but I definitely DO have major cramping after delivery when I nurse so I would think that could also happen now.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.