Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 6 week old DS has had latching problems since birth. A lactation nurse started me using a nipple shield because he was tongue thrusting. I've been trying to wean him off but all of a sudden he is even having problems with the nipple shield... At least I think that is what it is. I get him latched and he just starts screaming and won't even try again or does for a second and just starts screaming again. He doesn't stop crying for a while and when he does calm down I try to get him to nurse again and it happens all over again. I am very worried about him getting enough nutrition since I am not in a position to pump and store and I can't do the formula thing. Has anyone had this problem before or know anything about it???

·
Registered
907 Posts
Not much advice here, but I just wanted to give you some encouragement that you are not alone. I was never able to nurse my first born because she simply would not latch and nothing I did helped. I had to resort to pumping and feeding her which was exhausting and depressing.<br><br>
My second child nursed well for 8 weeks but them quit for reasons I couldn't understand. I started pumping for her as well and she took a bottle for a while but then even that became a struggle. She would scream at the bottle just as she had at the breast. I finally learned that she had infant reflux and that's why she didn't want to eat.<br><br>
My third child also would not latch due to a variety of reasons. He would plant his tongue at the roof of his mouth making latching impossible. He also had a high palate which made latching difficult. Again I had to resort to pumping and feeding but sadly my son developed a feeding aversion and would no longer take a bottle either. He too had infant reflux.<br><br>
I'm telling you all of this so you see that nursing doesn't go effortlessly for all mothers and babies.<br><br>
Some ideas about your little guy:<br><br>
Do you have OALD?<br><br>
Could it be nipple confusion? (you said you tried weaning him off of the shield but then went back to it)<br><br>
Could he be sick? (cold or ear infection)<br><br>
Perhaps his growth rate is in a slower pattern right now and he doesn't need as much. Sometimes babies will cluster feed, eating like crazy, and then slow down for a bit.<br><br>
Does he have a stubborn temperament? Let's face it, temperament is inborn and some babies detest being coerced into anything they don't want to do. Some babies will nurse for comfort or anytime the boob is offered, while others will not nurse unless they are ravenous. If you try to feed a stubborn baby who does not want to nurse you can cause an aversion to the breast to develop.<br><br>
Remember it's normal for babies to have ebbs and flows in the quantity of food they need. As long as they are gaining weight and having enough wet/dirty diapers you really don't need to worry.<br><br>
How are things going since your first post?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
sounds like it could be a nursing strike. Many things can precipitate this--illness, or even being startled for some reason while at the breast, that make a baby fight feeding time. Do a web search for nursing strike for more information. Make sure you are not pushing his head toward your breast, that can really bother a baby. How does he nurse when he is asleep or sleepy? This is sometime the only way some moms can feed their babies when they are having a nursing strike. Also you want him to feel that the breast is a happy place to be, so it is often very helpful to undress your baby down to a diaper and hold him right against your chest, skin to skin. Taking baths together is also a good way to get more skin to skin time.<br><br>
I hope things get better soon.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts