Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh! I don't want to feel this way but since we are ttc#2 and are on cycle #2 and probably going to be on #3 soon, I think AF is coming I feel crampy and she's do on Thursday, I get a bit frustrated when dd is wanting to nurse all the time. I DO NOT want to stop nursing I just want her to back down a bit so we can get pg! She still gets up 1-2 sometimes more times per night and nurses a lot during the day. I have o'd since AF came back, but now I'm having a hard time telling and wonder if I am at all.<br>
Now, dd is 20 mos and I don't mind tandem nursing etc. I just want to get her to a 4-5 times per day routine. Will this help us get pg? I'm going out to get some vitex and a B-complex today. Help!

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Personally, I did notice that my cycles got a little better after I started sleeping through the night after I night weaned dd, but that was 2 cycles ago, and I'm not pregnant yet. I think if you are resenting nursing, or want to cut back nursing, there are lots of loving ways to do that and I recommend posting in Breastfeeding beyond Infancy. But there is no guarentee that cutting back nursing will help you concieve, so be sure you feel like the steps you are taking are the right thing for you and your dc, and that you won't regret it if you don't get pregnant soon.<br><br>
I would recommend taking the B complex and Vitex for a month or 2 before you decide to work towards weaning, for a number of moms here, that is enough. Especially since you are comfortable with tandeming.<br><br>
Good luck!

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mama! I don't want to wean I just want to cut back b/c I think somewhere that I equate nursing so often with my not getting pg. I test on Fri and I bought some vitex and b-complex today so i'm ready for round #3 if that's what happens. I did some more research on nursing and ttc and since my af has been regular since 10-04, the nursing is not the issue.<br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
921 Posts
If you are feeling resentful, you can first try night weaning, if the night nursing is bothering you. It may suprise you how easy it is. With DS, I nightweaned him at 17 mos when I was 2 mos pregnant. I needed the sleep.<br>
All it took was about 2-3 nights of me telling him that he could nurse in the morning, patting his back and telling him I loved him and he would go back to sleep.<br>
The night nursing is the one that could be affecting fertility since prolactin levels are higher at night. Moms who night nurse oftentimes have their fertility return much later than moms who do not nurse at night.<br><br>
take care<br>
elaine

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
FWIW, I think there is a lot of pressure on AP moms to nurse any and everytime the child wants, regardless of how the mom feels about it. I was seething with resentment over nursing for many months before I felt okay about cutting back and eventually weaning (I was not TTC or p/g, but had postpartum depression and nursing hurt like h*ll after certain teeth grew in). At 19 months, my dd was waking multiple times per night to nurse. I desperately needed sleep. My breasts were cracked and bleeding. So I finally got the nerve to nightwean with dh's help, and not only did sleeping for much longer stretches happen after only ~1 week, but lo and behold, a transformation came over my child as well. It never occurred to me that the horrible way I felt from fragmented sleep was also making her cranky and irritable. When I realized her temperament improved with more unbroken sleep, it really helped with my enormous guilt over nightweaning. Why I didn't value the improvement in my own temperament more, I don't know, I think it's called being a perfectionist.<br><br>
I still nursed for 10 months after that but to be honest, I really hated it. I was a card-carrying LLL member and thought I'd nurse till 5 years old, but it just wasn't working. FINALLY, a mom I admire told me that she weaned her children around 2 years. I felt as if I'd been given permission to do what I should have done sooner...cut back and eventually wean at 2.25 years. I'm not saying that you should wean, just that you should feel okay about imposing limits on nursing to make it acceptable to how you are feeling and what works for the WHOLE family. Best wishes!<br><br>
Carol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts