Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought 5 nursing shirts from Motherwear and am returning all 5 - none of them were flattering in the least. I really need to be able to try some nursing shirts on.

The price was right with Motherwear - especially their sales. Is there any retailer than carries Motherwear? Other nursing shirts of reasonable price? I can get some Japanese Weekend stuff in town but it's tooooo expensive...

The Motherhood stuff doesn't look like it would flatter me at all, but I could travel an hour to their outlet, I guess....

Anything else??
 

· Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
I own zero nursing shirts - I put a good nursing tank under everything I wear and everything is a nursing shirt - would something like that work for you?
That's what I've done for the last 22 months! :)

I wanted to treat myself to some more flattering shirts and be able to wear (nursing) bras with decent support and shape. The tanks all limit what shirts I can wear, since they come up so high and show my nipples through a lot of fabrics.

The drawback of the bras, though they have good support, is that I bare midriff - which doesn't generally bother me except when it's chilly like it has been!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
492 Posts
One idea is to get a regular spaghetti strap tank top with a nice low neckline (and back if that is an issue with your shirts). Just wear your nursing bra, then the tank, then your shirt. You can pull the neckline of the shirt down, "open" the nursing bra, and expose your breast, while still covering your belly. Did that make sense? lol
 

· Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kittykat2481 View Post
One idea is to get a regular spaghetti strap tank top with a nice low neckline (and back if that is an issue with your shirts). Just wear your nursing bra, then the tank, then your shirt. You can pull the neckline of the shirt down, "open" the nursing bra, and expose your breast, while still covering your belly. Did that make sense? lol
That does make sense! I'll see what suitable tanks I can find. Thanks!
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
2,800 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kittykat2481 View Post
One idea is to get a regular spaghetti strap tank top with a nice low neckline (and back if that is an issue with your shirts). Just wear your nursing bra, then the tank, then your shirt. You can pull the neckline of the shirt down, "open" the nursing bra, and expose your breast, while still covering your belly. Did that make sense? lol


I pull my shirt up, and the tank top down, then I just have to unhook the nursing bra. Belly is covered, upper chest is covered, only thing showing is a bit of boob! Works great!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,818 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gillian28 View Post


I pull my shirt up, and the tank top down, then I just have to unhook the nursing bra. Belly is covered, upper chest is covered, only thing showing is a bit of boob! Works great!
This is what I do.

I also do like the empire tops from motherwear. I think some of the shirts are great, but the fabrics really have a wide range from "wow, that hid everything" to "OMG I'm a sausage." I've only had satisfaction with the cottony/jersey tops and empire styles.

Expressiva is also an option. I ordered two tops from them, both great styles but 1) they are super expensive, even clearance and 2) they run huge.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
3,220 Posts
i have what is called a belly sock. it is stretchy t shirt like material that fits like a bella band only looser. it stays in place. covers me from my pants to the bottom of my bra. lift up shirt, open bra, nurse. belly covered and warm. my shirts have v necks too. so if i am wearing baby i can pull them out from the top and cover with my carrier (moby or ring sling).
 

· Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post
i have what is called a belly sock. it is stretchy t shirt like material that fits like a bella band only looser. it stays in place. covers me from my pants to the bottom of my bra. lift up shirt, open bra, nurse. belly covered and warm. my shirts have v necks too. so if i am wearing baby i can pull them out from the top and cover with my carrier (moby or ring sling).
Where do you get such a thing?? This sounds even easier than a tank since there would be no worries about the neckline at all.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,710 Posts
You can get a Belly Band for like $20 online. I have one for pg, but it is plenty tight & long enough to use post partum. Google it, lots of stores sell them


My whole purpose of buying nursing shirts is b/c I DON'T WANT TO have to pull my whole shirt up to nurse. It gets old, esp if baby is in a carrier or wrap. I very much prefer to pull a flap of fabric up or to the side as opposed to a whole shirt or layer. Plus, in the summer, it is much too hot to wear two shirts. I also have gigantic breasts, so pulling the neckline down would severely stretch my shirts to the point where they would be unflattering & unwearable after one nursing session. It would be nice if more companies made more shirts in various sizes for not $349581345948 a piece b/c people like me would buy a ton of them. I can't tell you how many lovely shirts I had to pass on b/c the chest was not cut large enough
I would wear flippy-flap nursing shirts every nursing day if I could!!!!!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
527 Posts
I usually wear a regular non-nursing top that is either a deep v neck, or button down (all the way or partial like a polo shirt), or a wrap (a wrap dress). I pull the shirt down so it doesn't matter if I'm wearing nursing tank or a bra because I don't lift the shirt up. I persnally find "nursing" tops with their little slits or flaps too cumbersom to manuver.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,081 Posts
you can't try them on; but I love my motherwear shirts; motherhood maternity has some nursing tanks; but I am a plus-size mama and their plus size selection stinks.

I don't wear them everyday though, it is easiest if you have a nursing tank or have a low necked shirt you can pull down, or I have a lot of cross or wrap front tops that work really well with nursing. That and I use a nursing cover (udder covers) when in public. That one is large enough to cover just about everything.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
559 Posts
gap.com has some really nice looking ones. I've never got any of their nursing stuff before, but I want a couple of these shirts really bad!!!

http://www.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=35426

I think it is great that a regular clothing store has realized there is a market for this type of clothes! I think old navy has stuff too.

I like the wrap style... maybe not as modest, but I HATE those motherhood ones with the tiny little slits to try and line your nipple through!

I do the regular tank top under shirt thing some, but really rather pull down than lift up, especially in a sling.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
3,220 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILovePie View Post
Where do you get such a thing?? This sounds even easier than a tank since there would be no worries about the neckline at all.
ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BELLYSOCK-MA...item29ef179e68

like these. just google for them. i only paid $5 for each of mine. you could make them too i guess. all mine are made out of is stretchy tshirt material. and they are not tight on me like the bella band was.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,818 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lineymom View Post
gap.com has some really nice looking ones. I've never got any of their nursing stuff before, but I want a couple of these shirts really bad!!!

http://www.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=35426

I think it is great that a regular clothing store has realized there is a market for this type of clothes! I think old navy has stuff too.

I like the wrap style... maybe not as modest, but I HATE those motherhood ones with the tiny little slits to try and line your nipple through!

I do the regular tank top under shirt thing some, but really rather pull down than lift up, especially in a sling.
Wow, I'm surprised Gap has almost all their tops as "flop outs" considering the general culture surrounding breastfeeding!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Boob nursing shirts are great! Stretchy, excellent access, not ugly.

With DD1 I loved Japanese Weekend crossover tops for nursing. With DD2 I still love the access and comfort... but my belly is, uh, larger, and they make me look like I'm still pregnant
.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
I don't know why I never thought of the stretchy-tank-over-a-bra idea, but it's brilliant. If I don't wear a nursing tank (and I don't find them too comfortable anyway, plus they make my breasts look weird), my midsection would get cold while nursing with my shirt yanked up . . . or ds's little popsicle hands would grab me - yikes!!! OLD NAVY IS HAVING A TANK TOP SALE - $5 each, lots of styles - I bought 5 stretchy tanks, immediately came home and layered one over my bra/under my turtleneck -- perfect, perfect arrangement! Thank you MDC moms!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,320 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EmmaJane View Post
Boob nursing shirts are great! Stretchy, excellent access, not ugly.
Are they bulky? I've had rotten luck with the underlayered tops - the extra layer of fabric is invariably so unflattering.

Quote:
With DD1 I loved Japanese Weekend crossover tops for nursing. With DD2 I still love the access and comfort... but my belly is, uh, larger, and they make me look like I'm still pregnant
.
Consider the Momzelle crisscross top! I love mine. Same idea but it's matte fabric and the crossing bands are wider so they don't frame the pooch.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Try the undercover mama you'll have to google it, but it is the body of a tank that attaches to your nursing bra! Genius! Actually here's a link
http://www.undercovermama.com/
It makes any bra a tank for those of us that don't want to share our entire body with a crowd... and you can still get shape and support with the nursing bra! I haven't tried it but am getting ready to order one tonight!
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top