Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, about one month ago my now 3 mo ds started refusing the breast. He'll accept breast while awake *only* if letdown happens w/in first three seconds.

1) Sometimes I'm able to massage breast to get letdown to happen before I put him to the breast - this is not foolproof, I have to massage for quite awhile, and still only happens once out of every 4 times I try it.

2) IF he *does* take the breast while awake, he will immediately pull off as soon as letdown stops - - he won't work to get any more from the breast - due to this, I don't think he's getting the hindmilk.

3) Due to the above 2, I have had to concentrate on making sure he gets bf'd every time he sleeps, and I keep him at the breast for as long as possible. This has kept him fed, and thriving, and I haven't had to supplement yet.

Here's my problem:

1) Sometimes I'm not able to get him to sleep in time for a feeding, no matter how much I try - - and then I end up with a hungry frustrated baby, which is even harder to put to sleep.

2) I've been pumping (I have a Medela Pump In Style), but: A) I've never been able to get much at each pumping - maybe two ounces total from both breasts; B) I can't get away from the baby often enough to pump more than twice a day. This does not ensure enough of a supply for me to switch over to bottle feeding him breastmilk.

3) I drink Mother's Milk tea (I have drank 2x/day since he was born).

What else can I do?? Is there any hope that he will go back to nursing (and working for the letdown)?? I'm at my wit's end....
:

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
OMG Kelli,
your post just made me realize that it's exactly what we are going through!! Well, not EXACTLY but it's very similar!

to you!!

I have been having problems with my letdown last 2 weeks or so and my supply is slowly going down. And of course it maes letdown even slower and he will not stay latched for more then 2 seconds. It's driving me crazy! He's on and off all the time. I don't get enough stimulation to letdown

Fortunatelly I discovered this morning that my 3 year old still knows how to nurse and he nursed for good 20 minutes. I have to make him nurse more often now to improve my supply.

My 3month old is not a big eater to begin with and this strike makes things even worse!

So I will also be waiting here for some advise

·
Registered
106 Posts
HAve either of you consulted with a lactation consultant? I know one of you is in singapore. Pm me if you need the number of mine. she'll consult over the phone and she is amazing.

I would definitely be pumping to keep up supply, esp. with a 3 month old!! If you don't, it could turn into this vicious cycle where your baby seems to be nursing constantly...

Jess

·
Registered
208 Posts
why does she need to get rid of the bottles? she's breastfeeding as well, but the babe isn't eating the full amount needed. I see nothing wrong with pumping the rest to make sure he get's hindmilk. I second the lactation consultant. Good luck mama!

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
He's refusing the breast due to nipple confusion created by the bottles. The bottles have a faster flow, it conditions the baby to only want that, then they reject the breast. It's a nasty circle to be in and hard to break. But getting rid of the bottles is the way to do it.

-Angela

1 - 6 of 6 Posts