Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DD is 15 months and is refusing to nurse. This is very strange because she has always been a big nurser and does not eat very many solid foods at all. Only drinks breast milk and water, no other milks. On Friday she was still nursing 6or7 times during the day, nursed to sleep and three times during the night. Then has not nursed since Sat. early morning except once in her sleep last night. She nuzzles my breasts and acts like she instinctually wants to nurse, but then stops. I haven't changed my soap, no fragrances, etc. We did go on a trip this weekend, but were with DH and my parents who she loves. I don't think anything about it was stressful for her. She is not sick, no ear infections and is acting like her normal happy self, just not nursing. I don't know what to do. I am pumping hoping that this is a strike and not weaning. Again, she doesn't eat very many solids at all and I'm afraid she must be starving because she is such a big nurser and now - nothing. How can I maintain my supply during this time and does this sound like a strike or can they really just wean cold turkey like this? Any advice would be welcome!

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
I don't really know the answer, but I would say that you are doing the right thing. Keep pumping until you know for sure that she is self-weaning. Keep offering the breast. I read in a Dr. Sears book that with one of their first babies, they thought he was self-weaning but it turned out to be a nursing strike. Keep pumping and hope for the best!

·
Registered
778 Posts
I'd say keep pumping and offer the breast if she seems open to it. Also try offering lots of healthy snacks that she likes if you think she seems hungry. It's so hard to say why some children do this...you may never really know the answer. If you really want to get her back to nursing, try offering when she's sleepy or half-asleep and see what happens! Good luck, Mama!

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
At that age I'd say it's a strike especially since it was sudden.<br><br>
Have you started any new medications or unusual foods? Is your period coming? Could you be pregnant?<br><br>
Make sure she's not getting any other sucking (no bottles, pacifiers or sippy cups) and keep offering.<br><br>
good luck!<br><br>
-Angela

1 - 4 of 4 Posts