Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so my 15 mth old is not a huge solid food fan. She was slowish (to the mainstream military ped we have) and is just now starting to enjoy solid food. She was a VERY fast growing baby (much bigger than my other two) but has started to slack off in growth. And in fact she has lost weight. Not a lot, less than a pound in fact. She seems just fine to me. Totally on track developmentally. She's really active and runs most of the time she's awake. She still loves nursing and sometimes, if she's tired, she'll nurse instead of eat. I have no problem with this, but am just concerned w/the weight loss. BAH!

Has anyone else had this problem????? Please tell me she's going to be just fine!?!?!?!

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Firstly, many mainstream peds aren't used to babies who nurse a year or more, so they often have nothing to pull from. Secondly, they base those stats on largely formula fed babes who eat lots of solids. Lastly, all kids grow at all different rates. I actually did notice w/my last two that they dipped and even lost weight, but usually shot up in height right around the weight dips. I was concerned w/my sn child b/c he is painfully skinny. Then I remembered that I am too and it is hard for me to put on weight (we have fast metabolisms). The third, when he lost a full pound (which can seem like a LOT for a baby), he also shot up 2 inches in height a week later. That weight distributes all over the body. As long as she doesn't seem sick, malnourished in any way, and is still at her normal level of activity, it is probably just b/c she's an active toddler and the pounds will come back when her body needs them.
Definitely keep an eye on it, but it probably isn't *that* a big of a deal right now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.