Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard lots of people who have said that their nipples got painful while nursing when pregnant. I think I *wish* that was my problem. My dd just turned 2, up until my milk dried up at 4 months, I had no problem nursing her on demand and was fully intending (still am, hopefully) to let her self wean. Her nursing cut down to a couple times a day and she started sleeping through the night (hallelujah, lol). My question is my nipples have never really been sore but the feeling of her nursing since my milk dried up is just the wierdest sensation I've ever felt, It makes my skin crawl! I can't even describe how nasty feeling it is. I feel so down about it because now that my colostrum is in (I'm 32 weeks), she would like to nurse more again. In my heart I would love to let her, but the feelings, even though they got better after my colostrum came in are still so powerful I can't bear to let her nurse more than 5 minutes or I feel like climbing the walls. She's so attached to her na-na's and it breaks my heart to have to tell her "no" sometimes or hear her cry when I just can't stand to nurse her longer.
:

Has anyone gone through this??? Please tell me these are just crazy hormones and everything will sort itself out after the baby's born! I'm really a committed long-term nurser and I really don't want to wean her yet (or break her heart)

·
Registered
190 Posts
i'm sorry i can't help with the icky feelings. and i hope you can get some relief soon! (only 8 weeks or so right) you can do it mama! venting will help.

BUT when i was pregnant and nursing my oldest - his teeth changed color from the colostrum. dentist said it was nursing at night, but i know it was the colostrum. he teeth reverted to normal after my milk came back.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I'm not tandeming, DS weaned when I was 5 months pregnant. But DS1 is a twiddler and always has been. Ever since the 2nd trimester I had the icky feelings you're talking about. I still do
He still wants to have his hands by my boobs all the time but it makes my skin crawl. I get extremely protective over what has instinctively become, in my mind, only for "the baby". It's almost a level of anger that I really can't explain. I had planned on tandem nursing, but DS fully weaned on his own, which I'm now thankful for because I don't know what I would do if he were still nursing because of this strange feeling I get.

So, I guess what I'm saying is you may need to prepare yourself for the feelings not to go away and think about how you'll deal with the situation if that does happen. I've heard of other moms going through this. A local mom I know is tandeming right now and having serious problems with this same issue.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm tandeming - 2yr 3mth old and a 6mth old. It has been hard and I can relate to what you're saying about the icky feelings. The icky feelings I have had have just about started to subside 6mths in. I limit my toddler to about 3 feeds a day and he still nurses during the night.

I haven't found it easy but now looking back it doesn't seem as bad. I do still find it hard to feed my toddler but have hung in there for his sake really. I don't think there is anything you can do to prevent the feelings, just try and go with the flow and take one day at a time.

I wish you all the best - you're doing a good job already.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
dd is 7 weeks, and the icky feelingis still here, but only with ds. i have no problem nursing dd.
i wish i weaned him before she was born- i feel like nursing is interfering with our relationship.
:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! Sounds like a toss up on what will happen, I guess we'll just take it one day at a time. I'm hoping it will eventually go away since it has gotten noticeably better since my colostrum came in - not good, but better. Hopefully when my milk comes in my daughter will just nurse again and not poke and prod me. It almost feels like she's licking me instead of sucking, that's the creepiest feeling!

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I am almost 15 weeks pg and 21 month old DS is still nursing. I haven't had the feelings you are describing but from what I understand, it is totally normal!! Have you read Adventures in Tandem Nursing? It is an excellent book, many La Leche League friends who have been through this several times with their kids recommended it to me. There is a lot of info in there about nursing while pregnant, and it seems like it is really a mixed bag... some women may have certain problems at times, then they go away or are replaced by others. I read that it can be kind of hard in the beginning too, after the baby is born, but that those feelings will fade as you get used to the new arrangement.

Best wishes to you, my supply has really dropped and I'm really looking forward to the day I have colostrum again...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.