Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need advice here and telling me going without does not help as of now


I went to motherhood today but left backwards when I saw the nursingwear was behind the register and I so did not want to deal with a teenager when choosing my bras. Mea culpa!

So now I need to order.

I want 1 sleep bra and one for outings, will that do?

I also need 2 t-shirts, 1 long sleeve and some nighty with easy nursing access.

No idea what's good and what not, what should I buy? I don't like the idea of spandex or polyester pure though.

I also have a major sizing problem I think, I'm barely a B now but definately not have the slim under the chest measurement most women have. Before pregnancy build in bra tanks were out, too much cloth for my boobs and the bra band would cut into my flesh at the same time.

I'm also worried that the t-shirts won't be long enough. And if that's not enough, I do think some clothes look very frumpy, not exactly desireable .
Please, ANY advice ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,808 Posts
oh I had to answer your post. my daughter is 6 months old (still nursing great
) and I feel like I can give you really good advice on nursing fashion.

I would not buy your nursing bra from motherhood. no no no. I have one kind of nursing bra I use. The Bravado. I started out with one. bought a second one right after she was born and now just bought 2 more. I think you definetly need more than one. I survived with 2 by washing each in the shower with me every night and then hanging it up to dry overnight. I cannot recommend the bravado highly enough. Sexy it is not but extremely comfortable and easy to nurse in. also supportive enough for brisk walks. I definetly prefer the snap closures to the plastic clips I've seen on other nursing bras. I think they have different styles. the one I love is stretchy almost like a sports bra but with separate cups. you can order it on line but I would recommed trying it on for size if you can find somewhere near you that carries it. They are not cheap, about $35.00 a piece but so worth every penny. I have never worn a piece of clothing more.

as far as the other nursing clothes, I bought a bunch of those shirts with secret boob holes in them and I have to say I used them almost never. It turns out I am much more comfortable just lifting up a regular shirt and unsnapping my bravado. bravado also makes a tank top/nursing bra that looks pretty comfy. I would not recommend buying anything from target. I have a nursing bra and nursing tank top from there that I never wear. It's hard to believe they were made with nursing boobies in mind. If you are modest you might like to buy special nursing shirts but I would recommend the designs that are very simple. you do not want to be fumbling with things when your babe is hungry.

If you are cosleeping you do not really need a nursing nightgown. you can just lift up a t-shirt and eventually your baby will find your breast by themselves. If you need an actual nightgown there are many cute nursing nightgowns out there but my best advice would be to save the money you would spend on complicated nursing cloths and put it towards a few great nursing bras. They will become very important to you. oh as far as sleeping bras go, there is a kind you can get in department stores called Barely There. I think maybe they are by jockey. They are cheap soft sports bra looking things that are very comfortable post partum and you can just lift them up to nurse. you will want some support at night for a while.

I can't believe what a know it all I sound like.
I guess I have strong opinions on nursing clothes. hope I helped
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
614 Posts
Best advice, don't invest a lot now since you really have no idea what size you'll be post-partum. Maybe a nursing tank or a stretchy sport-type number to come home in. I think about 4-6 wks post-partum you'll have a good sense of your breastfeeding bra size.

For nursing at home, you could try cutting slits in an old t-shirt, or wearing two-piece pjs and just lifting the tops to nurse. You need as many bras to bf as you do any other time ... so when you do figure out your size, I'm guessing you'll want more than 2, unless you plan to do a lot of laundry. Most moms have at least some leaking ... or lots ... espcially in the beginning.

I like bravado bras. http://www.bravadodesigns.com/
Motherwear also has many nice options. http://www.motherwear.com/

I personally have never thought the Motherhood.com items were of very good quality (bras, shirts, or anything else). My bravado bras are still going strong but the one I bought from Motherhood died pretty quickly. ymmv!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
821 Posts
Something also to look at at Target is in their bra section they have nursing cami's. If you get a couple of those you can put them under any shirt to nurse in. For me, I don't care if I flash my boob or nipple a little but I HATE to have my side fat exposed so that's why I like nursing shirts for NIP. I found some at our local consignment store and a girlfriend and I have been sharing some tops too (we seem to have our kids enough apart from each other that sharing them works out great).

Deb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,544 Posts
I've been wearing nurisng bras for almost 3 years now & I still have not found one I REALLY like. But then I have funky size issues too & that is probably why.
:

Anyway I really like this site for bra shopping http://www.birthandbabyorders.com/in...dd0a2be6a89b00 They have great customer service & shipping is only $1 so & you can return bras as many times as you need to find the right size & style. Plus they give lots of info about how the bra fits diffrent size & shape breast. I just ordered a bra from http://www.decentexposures.com/ also. These bras are custom made so it takes a while, but they will do free alterations once you get the bra & can try it on. I am curently waiting to get mine back after having the straps shortened.

Oh yeah & DO NOT buy your bras from Motherhood. They have no support, are cheaply made & the underwire ones cause me to end up with a plugged duct, no fun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PGNPORTLAND
oh I had to answer your post. my daughter is 6 months old (still nursing great
) and I feel like I can give you really good advice on nursing fashion.

I would not buy your nursing bra from motherhood. no no no. I have one kind of nursing bra I use. The Bravado. I started out with one. bought a second one right after she was born and now just bought 2 more. I think you definetly need more than one. I survived with 2 by washing each in the shower with me every night and then hanging it up to dry overnight. I cannot recommend the bravado highly enough. Sexy it is not but extremely comfortable and easy to nurse in. also supportive enough for brisk walks. I definetly prefer the snap closures to the plastic clips I've seen on other nursing bras. I think they have different styles. the one I love is stretchy almost like a sports bra but with separate cups. you can order it on line but I would recommed trying it on for size if you can find somewhere near you that carries it. They are not cheap, about $35.00 a piece but so worth every penny. I have never worn a piece of clothing more.

as far as the other nursing clothes, I bought a bunch of those shirts with secret boob holes in them and I have to say I used them almost never. It turns out I am much more comfortable just lifting up a regular shirt and unsnapping my bravado. bravado also makes a tank top/nursing bra that looks pretty comfy. I would not recommend buying anything from target. I have a nursing bra and nursing tank top from there that I never wear. It's hard to believe they were made with nursing boobies in mind. If you are modest you might like to buy special nursing shirts but I would recommend the designs that are very simple. you do not want to be fumbling with things when your babe is hungry.

If you are cosleeping you do not really need a nursing nightgown. you can just lift up a t-shirt and eventually your baby will find your breast by themselves. If you need an actual nightgown there are many cute nursing nightgowns out there but my best advice would be to save the money you would spend on complicated nursing cloths and put it towards a few great nursing bras. They will become very important to you. oh as far as sleeping bras go, there is a kind you can get in department stores called Barely There. I think maybe they are by jockey. They are cheap soft sports bra looking things that are very comfortable post partum and you can just lift them up to nurse. you will want some support at night for a while.

I can't believe what a know it all I sound like.
I guess I have strong opinions on nursing clothes. hope I helped
Thanks, that was very helpful


Now only if I knew where they sell the bravados in store. I think I'll just order and risk a return.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojumi

I personally have never thought the Motherhood.com items were of very good quality (bras, shirts, or anything else). My bravado bras are still going strong but the one I bought from Motherhood died pretty quickly. ymmv!
Well my motherhood maternity wear is crap I have to say, but I thought hey, at least I can try them on...or would have without the bras behind the counter guarded by a teenager
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by maciascl
I've been wearing nurisng bras for almost 3 years now & I still have not found one I REALLY like. But then I have funky size issues too & that is probably why.
:

Anyway I really like this site for bra shopping http://www.birthandbabyorders.com/in...dd0a2be6a89b00 They have great customer service & shipping is only $1 so & you can return bras as many times as you need to find the right size & style. Plus they give lots of info about how the bra fits diffrent size & shape breast. I just ordered a bra from http://www.decentexposures.com/ also. These bras are custom made so it takes a while, but they will do free alterations once you get the bra & can try it on. I am curently waiting to get mine back after having the straps shortened.

Oh yeah & DO NOT buy your bras from Motherhood. They have no support, are cheaply made & the underwire ones cause me to end up with a plugged duct, no fun!
Great links, thank you so much !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
I agree about the bravado thing!! Great bra. I've had a few other cheapo nursing bras but nothing was ever as good as my bravado. For sure worth the expense.

As far as jammies go, I love the 2 piece flannel with a top that buttons up/down. (big grampa style) This way all I have to do is unbutton, or leave the buttons open. And if for some reason I leak all over the shirt, or baby spits up I only have a top to change.
I tend to sleep in the buff when its warm, I wear a nursing bra until I stop leaking, usually a few months, and then I keep an extra recieving blanket handy incase I leak from one side while nursing from the other. (I recommend investing in a no-vinyl mattress pad or 2 for midnight leaks and spit-ups, changing pads/crib pads work well)

I agree that as far as nursing wear goes....don't bother. although in the cold months I do recomend wearing a tank top/undershirt that you can just pull down to nurse (with your bra aswell)Dress in layers...some that can go up and some that can go down!...this will save you from getting chilled by the cold breeze! and good for protection from cold toddler fingers!!

Good luck!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
503 Posts
I like the Medela nursing bras. Motherhood and Target--bleah! But like the others said, wait and see what size you'll end up being. I was a B before my first pregnancy, then I went to a C eventually during pregnancy, then shot up to a D
: right after my milk came in, then went back to a C. This pregnancy I'm already up to a D, so I have no idea what the heck is going to happen PP! I don't even know what comes after D!
:

I never wore the nursing clothes, either. I mean, really, unless you want to invest a TON of money and replace your whole wardrobe, at some point you will be NIP wearing your normal clothes. I read a suggestion once that you can buy some cheap tanks, cut holes in them for your boobs, and wear those under your regular shirts if you are modest about your stomach sticking out. I thought that was a good idea, but I never got around to trying it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojumi
I did mention motherwear! Love them.
I heard their t-shirts are short. Is that true?

I will eventually wear normal clothes but not right from the beginning, so I think 2-3 Tops are in order here
:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
586 Posts
I got a nightgown from Hanna Andersson that had buttons from the neck almost down to the belly button. It's really soft cotton and the perfect weight for cold winter nights.

I would leave the top few buttons done up and unbutton a few in the middle. I didn't usually have to do much fussing for middle of the night feeds. Plus it's a really nice nightgown. Kind of pricy though.

I just checked the Hanna website and I don't see it on there right now. Maybe in the winter they'll have it again...

Good luck. Jessi
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,802 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jadzia's_mommy
I like the Medela nursing bras. Motherhood and Target--bleah! But like the others said, wait and see what size you'll end up being. I was a B before my first pregnancy, then I went to a C eventually during pregnancy, then shot up to a D
: right after my milk came in, then went back to a C. This pregnancy I'm already up to a D, so I have no idea what the heck is going to happen PP! I don't even know what comes after D!
: .
\

I just had to giggle at this. I was a D in high school. Naturally, what comes after D, is E (DD), F (DDD), G, and H. I was a DD in my 20's, a DDD after 1st daughter was born, and if Bravado's measuring chart is accurate, I'm currently an H. Now I wonder if anyone makes a cup size larger than that, because that is the highest size in Bravado Supreme bras. I am planning on ordering one of theirs from a sales consultant here for Natural Family Boutique.
Someone in this thread had said they spent $35 on a bra. I can't remember the last time I was able to spend ONLY $35 on a bra. The Bravado Supreme is priced at $50, plus s/h.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
376 Posts
i dunno ladies, i was just at milkworks recently and tried a bravada and wasnt happy with it at all! i'm a weird one though and i really like to have an underwire ... seems like without, the boobs just slip right out underneath the bra
: i tried so many different ones on without underwire cuz the lady working looked at me like i was nuts for wanting an underwire while nursing (although they had just as many underwires to choose from) and i just couldnt do it!!! i finally found a couple that i liked, had to order one ... i understand you wanna make sure your bra doesnt cause issues with too much pressure clogging your milk ducts, but i feel like the ones without underwire and the boob slippage problem would be more likely to cause that than an underwire that stays in place
i guess it just boils down to what you're used to ... its not like i have really large breasts, (38-c) and maybe that's why i cant get non underwires to stay in place? not enough weight
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
Nursing wear can be a nightmare, I never could find a nursing top I loved. Last time I just cut off the arms and sides of a few of DH old undershirts and wore them under my regular shirts. Not exactly sexy, but it worked and it was free. You could also use men's A-shirts, no cutting necessary.

I third Bravado - their Original Nursing Bra is by far the most supportive (I wear a 42H), comfortable, and easiest use, it's also really comfy for sleeping in. Do yourself a favor and order at least two.

I know you said you weren't into tanks, but... the Essential Nursing Bra Tank by Bravado rocks! It's just like their original nursing bra, and it covers that lovely pp belly. Plus, I love that nursing tanks allow me to save money by using my regular shirts, and helps me feel girly and sexy.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top