Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2.5 (!!!!!already 2.5) year old ds is no where near weaning, but for the past year, has spent considerable time with his dad. He'll go stay with him for 2-3 days most weeks, and has, when I was sick, spent almost 2 weeks with him. I feel bad that he doesn't get milk when he is away, but I can't stand pumping, and my breasts don't respond to it anyway. Also, I try to tell myself that most kids in this country wean long before he started spending time away, anyway.

My breasts pretty much seem to know what they are doing, probably because we gradually built up the length of separations. I don't get engorged unless we are separated a really long time, and even then, it is mild. but, it really, really can hurt the first couple days back. I grin and bear it because he loves nursing so much, and I am not near ready to stop either. But, it would be nice to find a way to circumvent that pain.

Also, I worry that I might not really be producing much milk at all anymore. If he is just nursing for a few minutes, I can still squeeze out a drop or so, but if he is attached for a long while, I'm not sure how much he is getting. Is there any way at all for me to tell? I know the milk has value even in small quanitities, and that the emotional benefits are important even if he isn't getting much, but it would just be nice to know that he is still getting some good nutrition from my milk.

- Kittymom

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittymom
I don't get engorged unless we are separated a really long time, and even then, it is mild. but, it really, really can hurt the first couple days back. I grin and bear it because he loves nursing so much, and I am not near ready to stop either. But, it would be nice to find a way to circumvent that pain.
Are you any good at hand expressing? Usually I will take a hot shower and hand express to relieve the pressure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kittymom
Also, I worry that I might not really be producing much milk at all anymore. If he is just nursing for a few minutes, I can still squeeze out a drop or so, but if he is attached for a long while, I'm not sure how much he is getting. Is there any way at all for me to tell? I know the milk has value even in small quanitities, and that the emotional benefits are important even if he isn't getting much, but it would just be nice to know that he is still getting some good nutrition from my milk.

- Kittymom
I usually listen for Marah Jade to swallow. I ask her sometimes if she is getting milk and she says yes. She will have it dribble down her cheek sometimes. I usually assume she is getting as much milk as she wants.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts