Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Ok, for some reason my two year old son wants to nurse ALL THE TIME since I have been pregnant. It is really wearing me out! Is this normal? Is it bad for me to be nursing so much again?</p>

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
<p>my nursling upped her nursing when I became pregnant (I think because my supply was declining?) try to get enough rest, and eat a ton (oatmeal is supposed to keep the supply higher) and make sure you're drinking a lot of water. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Kellymom has a breastfeeding through pregnancy and tandeming section that can be helpful. </p>

·
Registered
452 Posts
<p>My guess is that your supply is declining? He's probably trying to get you to make more milk. My 14 month old daughter is going down without a fight I guess. I'm 8 weeks and my supply has definitely been declining, but she seems to have given up. She only nurses twice a day and on/off at night. I'm kind of glad for the break, but I'm also a little sad.</p>

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<p>ah. That makes sense. sad. Oatmeal is good advice. thanks guys! I need to be better about water too! :)</p>

·
Registered
1 Posts
<p>I was lucky enough to nurse my eldest through my entire second pregnancy. I made the mistake of trying milk thistle to enhance my milk supply during the first trimester, apparently this isn't good for the baby your carrying. So, oatmeal, beets and anything else that's supposed to boost your supply. I found that the supply evened out during the second and third trimester...However, be prepared for some emotional and physical challenges of nursing after the birth. My toddler wanted to nurse whenever the baby was, which would reduce the milk supply for the baby, so we had to set up some guidelines to help us all adjust. My then toddler self weaned at 3.5, my youngest still nurses at night.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I wouldn't change a thing.</p>

·
Registered
1 Posts
<p>I nursed my daughter during my second pregancy.  In the begining my supply dropped low and she just cried at her nighttime feeding. (we were down to one)  I took alfalfa and continued to nurse her until I was 4 months and she was 15 months.  She just stopped.  It was okay with me since I knew I'd get to do it again.  Now I'm pregnant with my third and my son nursed like crazy in the begining.  He knew how to get things back to normal!  Now he is 15 months and I'm 3 months and he is nursing 3 or more times a day.  I wonder if we will get to tandom or if he'll just gradually cut back.  Time will tell.  Nursing is my most favorite thing!</p>

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
<p>Great book:  Adventures in Tandem Nursing</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If you want to continue the breastfeeding relationship, it's fine to set limits with your toddler.  Like only so many minutes at a time, certain times of the day, etc.</p>
<p>I got pg in May and my 4yo weaned end of August (combo of child led and encouraged).  It was getting extremely painful for me and I didn't really plan on nursing him past 4, and figured it would be nice to have a small break in between kids.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am planning on letting him tandem nurse with limits if he asks after baby is born, he has asked a few times when he can have 'b00bie' again and it broke my heart!</p>

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
<p>My DS was the same.  I think I was so tired and disconnected that was part of it.  Boredom too maybe (on his part).  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I hated it though and weaned by the end of the first trimester.  </p>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts