Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My nipples are so sore right now and I know it will pass but this is hard to handle. dd is mostly respective when I tell her the mi-mis hurt so she needs to wait or have the other side but I know its confusing for her.

I suppose I am having mixed feelings about nursing while pregnant and/or tandem nursing.
Am I alone in this?

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
Initially, sore nipples can be a problem while nursing another baby.
I'm so sorry! It typically gets better, though some women have this soreness all through pregnancy with some months better than others.

I wish I had some good advice for you - I'm sure the wise mamas here will, though.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I'm so sorry mama, I can totally relate. You are not alone!!! My nipples have been so sore most of this pregnancy. It's tolerable now, but some days I still have to take a deep breath when dd starts nursing. It was the worst in the beginning, for about the first 16 weeks. Then from about 16-22 weeks I had pretty empty breasts & that was a new kind of pain. Now I have something (colostrum?) in them again, but they are still sore. I'm just hoping it will get better when the baby is born, LOL.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Megan, I HIGHLY recommend the book "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" for you. I'm part-way through it now and I was half-expecting it to be one-sided, but it's very even-handed, giving the pros and cons of nursing through pregnancy and nursing two, has lots of anecdotes from BTDT Moms, etc. I'm 28 weeks pg myself and have had nipple pain through most of my pg! I even made up my mind at one point to wean our 2-year old son, but then I found that just cutting back the amount of nursing he did and the length of the sessions was enough, and we're now happily nursing for 5-10 minutes before naptime and bedtime, and that's working well.

I still have some mixed feelings about tandem nursing myself, even though I think it's pretty likely at this point that we'll be doing it. Mainly, my concerns are how others will perceive it, like my mother, but at this point, I don't think most people suspect that I'm still nursing! Anyway, check out that book, it's really good.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Megan, First, congratulations!

I've nursed through two pgs, both times---very sore. Ouch, ouch, ouch! I completely understand the ambivalence! For us, continuing nursing was absolutely the best thing I could do, but for others, this doesn't work out. Either way, you're in good company. Depending on how old your dd is, limiting or postponing the mimis (that's what ds calls them here, too!) can help. I have a friend who taught her dd the ABCs this way---you can nurse for as long as it takes to sing the alphabet
. Anyway, sometimes taking it one nursing at a time helps...it can be really challenging. Hang in there!

PS: I also loved the Adventures book...and my LLL mtgs.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm 11 weeks pg, too, and nursing my 2yo ds. Hurts like crazy sometimes, but I find limiting the length, distracting with other things, like stories or drinks, and making sure the attention I give him is for things other than nursing, seems to help alot. He also is not nursing at night anymore, which is a godsend, frankly!

Good luck, and I'm so with you~

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Congrats on the new baby!! My whole boobs were sore- I fought it for months- the pain and tears.... I felt so bad telling my DD "no yummies right now- wait for bed time
) but I was in so much pain, So I got to a point that it didnt hurt that much, but I think it is because I have started to build something up for the new baby- but it must not taste good, because DD stopped nursing last week
I am having a very hard time with it. Even if I am glad my breat have at least a 10 week break, I was not ready for my girl to stop nursing like she did- I know your DD is older than my DD (I think) Mine is 21 months. I felt like my breats let me down- like they are not doing what they are ment to do- but that is mostly hormonal feelings... lol.... I know they are just getting ready for the new baby.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
My nipples were really sore from conception until my milk dried up completely around 20 weeks. They are still slightly more sensitive now, but our nursing sessions are no longer painful. My nursling has also drastically decreased the frequency of his requests to nurse over the course of the pregnancy, which helps a lot.

Our only problem now is that whenever he nurse for more than five minutes, I feel like screaming, "get this kid off of me!!!". I hope that feeling goes away after the baby is born. Unfortunately I hear that it often doesn't.

It's worth it to me to keep going anyway. DS is still really attached to nursing and he talks about sharing with the baby a lot. I'm sure it will make the transition easier for him, which in turn will make it easier for me.

I was not as impressed with Adventures in Tandem Nursing as I expected. I found that the anecdotes were largely negative and it made me really nervous that I'm going to really resent DS after the baby is born. I suppose it's much better to be preared for the worst though. The book has a few really good suggestions for entertaining the older sib while baby is nursing and GREAT descriptions of how to nurse both at the same time.

·
Registered
13,153 Posts
I nursed til the 8th mo of pregnancy twice. I had wicked sore nipples all throughout. With my first dd, I was not aware of how to tandem or its benefits (this was 19 yrs ago). With the 2nd dd, I was trying to hold on and tandem, but she refused to only nurse twice a day, which I could bear. She insisted on 3 or more times and I just couldn't handle it, so I gently weaned her with a week or so of discussion (she was 3 1/2). She was happier once weaned and slept better at night! Much to my surprise.

She expressed no desire to nurse once ds was born. I missed nursing somewhat tho, to handle late afternoon meltdowns. She was/is very spirited.

I was glad with ds (last child) I could nurse him as long as he wanted (4 1/2 yrs). I often wondered how he would ever wean, without the lowered milk supply and sore mommy. But he did.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
I can totally relate! That first trimester was rough on me and my nipples! Jenny, being such a verbal child, was ok with snuggling up next to my bosom after nursing just for a few minutes after I told her the nummies hurt. She would pat my chest, and say "poor nummies, hope they feel better"

For me, I got over the pain about the same time as my second trimester started. My milk also seemed to come back around that time, but that might be because I started drinking herbal tea then, too. I'm throwing that in here, because I don't know if it was related or not, but I started drinking a concoction of red raspberry leaves, nettles, and oat straw after I was past that first trimester.

I did have to tough it out, though, because I knew that Jenny was nowhere near ready to wean. If she doesn't nurse often enough she becomes very distraught and hard to deal with, throwing huge temper tantrums for no good reason, and just generally fussy and crabby. So it was easier on me, overall, to let her nurse, but to limit how long and how often. For me, the pain was easier to take than the behavior problems when she didn't get to nurse often enough. I doubt I would have, could have, stuck with it if nursing hadn't been so important to my older child, though.

·
Banned
3,029 Posts
it comes and goes for me. it didn't hurt at first, then it hurt for a few weeks, then it got better, then it got sore again. now the nursing isn't so bad but the fidgeting she does makes my skin crawl and i want to peel her off. she is fifteen months and still nursing about eight times a day. i wanted to nightwean her last month but it was a rough month and thankfully that seems over so she still nurses several times at night.

i do look forward to tandem nursing. as hard as it is for me at times, i really don't want her to wean. i do limit how long she does it and when i just can't anymore, i'll say 'na-nas all done' and she'll unlatch and i'll stand up and we'll go look out the window, check her diaper, other things to distract her. sometimes she'll nurse for awhile then she'll pull down my shirt and give me a hug. so sweet yet sad at the same time. she likes how round my tummy is getting so she runs her hands all over it and THAT is what i can't stand. oh, and she really likes my belly button now and that drives me crazy, too. if she could keep her hands down or play with the nursing necklace or do anything other than caress or fondle me i think i would like nursing more.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
The feeling of "get this kid off me!" was pretty bad for awhile, but it did pass, in fact, at times I offer to nurse her so she will be still and quiet and I can rest for awhile! She mostly just nurses at night now and first thing in the am, though occsionally she will want to wake frequently and stay latched on for hours and that makes me worried how Im suppose to juggle two doing this? She nursed right through no milk and now we have colostrum. I also just limited her. Often she will be distracted with a bottle or a cup or daddy. I used laniosh cream on my nipples and try airing them out when I can. Thats hard though, we cosleep and if she sees them out........

Anyway, the soreness comes and goes for me and seems to be worse on one side. When I had no milk anyway, I only used the less sore side. I guess it varies from woman to woman. I hope it clears up for you. Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.