Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS is 13 months and was never able to latch on. I worked with 2 different LCs and after EPing for the first 4 months the last LC suggested just using the shield which cut my pumping down to only twice a day.
In my community, I'm the only one I know that nurses my baby with a nipple shield and was wondering if anyone else out there does. I'm proud that he has only ever had breastmilk and doesn't seem interested in stopping anytime soon,but it's taken some work. It would be nice to find some support since our nursing situation is a little different than most.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
I only did for a short time when DS was a newborn, sleepy and couldn't get the latch right. But all of a sudden with this he was nursing directly from me, it was great compared to the hassle of EP and just much more...right. Annoying to have to use it every time but a big improvement. I had him nursing without it within a month, it was just a transition thing for us.

·
Registered
673 Posts
im using shields with my son who is almost 3 weeks. My nipples are inverted/flat not sure what the difference is..it is hard to nurse in public but we do it anyway. I am hoping we can get off these shields, but I dont really see how as he doesnt start sucking unless a nipple hits the roof of his mouth.

anyone experienced with this kinda thing? my lc thinks he will get it eventually and just suck hard enough to pull it out without a shield...i cant wait for that to happen.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I used a shield for the first 2.5 months- thought I'd never get off it. When I tried nursing without it, he'd either latch on and cause me EXCRUCIATING pain, like I'd rather be in labor kind of pain, or else he wouldn't be able to latch and he'd get so upset that he'd puke all over me. So after a while I stopped trying.

I got sick of the shield at 2.5 months and just decided I was going for it. I gritted my teeth through the pain and cleaned up the vomit, and switched back and forth a lot from shield to no shield. It took maybe 2 weeks before I could nurse all the time without it, and maybe 6 weeks before I stopped having any pain. I can honestly say it was worth it though. While I was much happier nursing with a shield than pumping and bottle feeding, nursing w/o a shield was so much easier and nicer once we got it down.

Hang in there! And good for you for making this step!

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
we still use one over here...and my husband freaks when i nip anyway....so for the rare times that i do i just slide it under my shirt and then put her on. its a pain i guess but we really dont know any different since this is my first baby!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I used one for the first 9 weeks - thought we'd never be able to get off of it, but lo and behold, one day I just went for it au natural, and he latched on fine and we haven't looked back! There were 1-2 days of more pain than I was used to, but he seemed to catch on quite quickly, and now I think we're doing pretty well! I have fairly flat nipples, and he was also diagnosed with mild tongue-tie (not sure if I believe that, though...). I think he just needed to get a bit bigger and stronger so that he could latch on well enough. Anyways, even though they're a pain, I was prepared to go the entire time with the shields if need be, so you're doing great!

·
Registered
674 Posts
I did it for 4 months. He's been off it now for 3 weeks. No trick in the world would get him to do it without the shield, tried kellymom and everything else out there. Until one day he just did it without it. A friend of mine has a babe who is 7 months old and needs a shield.

A shield is better than pumping! You are nursing, don't worry too much about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.