Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if this has happened to anyone else, or if you have any ideas on why it might have happened to me?<br><br>
My daughter is 3 and 3 months, and probably about 5 or 6 months ago, I stopped producing milk. She was still nursing at the time, not that much, usually just before nap and before bed, occasionally once or twice during the day. But I just stopped getting milk. It was during a time I was experiencing some really bad anxiety and insomnia.<br><br>
Up until then, my periods had been very regular, but now I usually bleed 2 weeks or so after I "should" (like the 30 day mark comes and goes, and I don't bleed for a long time after). Could that be cuz my milk dried up? Or could whatever's causing my periods to be so strange also have caused my milk to dry up?<br><br>
My insurance doesn't pay for alternative medicine (tho I can see the acupuncturist), so I've only been able to go to a regular Western MD, who didn't seem concerned or have any ideas. They did check my prolactin level, which is normal.<br><br>
I'm 37 - this couldn't be peri-menopause, could it? The good part is that my daughter didn't seem to care when my milk dried up, and still doesn't. She still nurses a few times a day. It doesn't hurt me or anything, and doesn't really feel any different than it did when I had milk. Sometimes I get insecure and start thinking that it's "weird" to "nurse" when there's no milk, like I'm actually just letting my daughter suck on my breasts. But at age 3, I doubt any kids are nursing for nutrition, it's all about the nurturing factor, and, having milk or not, it's fine to give your child that. Right? It's not so much that I doubt that it's okay, it's more my ideas of what other people might think. Who cares!!<br><br>
I just wanted to see if anyone's had a similar experience. Oh and BTW, I assumed I would wean my daughter by age 2, but she's 40 mos. now, and I absolutely adore nursing her still, and hope she keeps on! I used to be judgemental about women nursing 4 or 5 year olds, but now that I'm doing CLW, and my daughter's getting older, I see what utter BULLSH-T that judgement is! It is so natural and so beautiful. I'm now totally into letting her nurse until she wants to stop, whatever age that may be!

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
No milk? or just that production is down to what it needs to be in order to meet her needs and nothing more, therefor no engorgement or feeling of fullness?<br><br>
I don't get any/many fullness feelings anynore, but DD tells me that she's getting milk.<br><br>
OTOH, the irregularity of your cycle could be perimenopause, or it could be something like PCOS setting in. To find that out I think you'd need to see a CNM or Ob/Gyn as how to treat that (PCOS) is a bit more specialized knowledge.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, there's no milk. I never used to feel my milk come in or feel engorged or even full (my breasts are really large). But I could see milk droplets on my nipples, and milk in her mouth. And she's very verbal, always used to tell me there was milk back when there was. I ask her now, and she says, "No, no milk." I ask her periodically, just in case, and her answer is always the same. And I can't see any. So I'm positive there isn't any.<br><br>
I'm curious about PCOS. Never heard of it. What does it stand for? Also, is there anything to do to slow/reverse perimenopause?<br><br>
Thanks!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts