Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH's cousin is getting married in September, and I've already got a darling dress for DD to wear. She will be six months old and we are definitely bringing her to the reception; my only problem is trying to find something that I can nurse in but still look NICE in. The only dressy nursing dresses I've been able to find online have knee-length skirts, and I'm an long-skirt kind of girl. I've thought about just donning a nice skirt and top, but am trying to find a look that is not TOO casual (most of my nursing tops are tanks with built-in-bras--super comfy, but I'm not sure about a cotton tank top for an evening wedding!).

One dress I LOVE is this one, and it would probably be a good idea to have ONE basic black nursing dress (considering we are planning on a few more kids after this one, and extended breastfeeding for all of 'em!). Just not 100% comfortable about wearing a black dress to a wedding reception; the bride-to-be said wear whatever makes me comfortable, but the community we are a part of has its fair share of judgmental/hyper-critical "etiquette snobs" who might raise an eyebrow at black at a wedding.

(*sigh*) Seems ridiculous to be such a slave to image--but it is too much to ask to find a cute, comfortable dress that will ensure I don't have to half-undress every time I want to feed the little boob-monkey?

·
Registered
444 Posts
You could buy that totally cool black dress and wear a light colored shawl/cardigan/bolero with it to make it seem like you're not in total black.

I've worn black tops or skirts to weddings, but then the other piece is either black with white flowers or pastel to lighten it up a bit...

just a thought..

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pandora665
You could buy that totally cool black dress and wear a light colored shawl/cardigan/bolero with it to make it seem like you're not in total black.

I've worn black tops or skirts to weddings, but then the other piece is either black with white flowers or pastel to lighten it up a bit...

just a thought..
Good idea
I love the black dress...you could so wear it to other occasions

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
For a wedding I went to in March, I bought a spaghetti-strap dress and a shrug. I was able to pop a breast out by lowering one strap on a shoulder and the shrug gave a little bit of cover. Not as discreet as a nursing dress, but it worked. If I had had a little more time and wanted to alter a dress, I could have converted spaghetti straps into drop-cups, which would have been easier.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
We have a wedding on friday and I ended up getting a skirt/top combo because it was too hard to find dresses to nurse in. I do love that dress you posted! I'm thinking of ordering the batik version! I also just got a nice dress from motherwear.com. I like the idea of the black dress with a light shawl or bolero. And light jewelry. That could brighten it right up.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I wore a black dress with a wrap style top to it to my brother's very formal wedding back in April. My DD was barely a month old at the time. I paired it with my cherry red moby wrap and some nice sparkly jewelry and looked fantastic. Mom bought my dress at Target for my birthday gift, nursing worked great. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input, mamas!

I think I will order the black dress, and work to find some accessories that will make it look more festive and less funereal. I am fortunate enough to have a babywearing guru nearby who is willing to loan me a fancy mei tai to wear DD in at the wedding . . . and although I don't wear jewelry since having my daughter (little hands love to grab!), I'll find something that I can wear carefully to add a little sparkle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts