Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am only a few weeks pregnant and my ds is 30 months and nursing.
I have been feeling great only tired sometimes.
I am looking for resources, books or websites, or your personal advice about nutrition for my situation for some reason it's hard to find
(oh yeah most people don't nurse during pregnancy)

thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mackenziesmama
I too am interested to see what people recommend. Due in March and nurisng 18 month old 'round the clock.

me too, exactly. Really round the clock. A lot.
Amber

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just make sure you are eating a lot of extra protein. Have quick high protein snacks on hand, like yogurt, string cheese, nuts, meat (if you're not a veg). Sprinkle wheat germ in or on whatever you can (I drink it in smoothies). Also, make sure you are drinking lots and lots of water, especially if you live in the midwest (like me) and have had 90+ degree temps for weeks on end.
Oatmeal is really good for keeping up milk supply too if you are worried about it decreasing.
These are my suggestions, though I've never been preg while nursing. I'm sure others will have good ideas too.

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
Ah, my favorite subject these days! We are TTC but I am nursing my 8month old & so have been obsessively researching the subject of nursing during pregnancy, that is WHEN ds lets me.

So far I compiled this pile of information, listed on post #11 here:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=491529
There is so much more I want to learn but have such a hard time finding time (I am typing left handed right now while ds nurses fussily). LLL & others suggest pregnant nursing mamas eat as if they are pregnant with twins-- but I can barely find any detailed info on THAT either! There is just not enough info out there on this subject, & judging purely by the # of emails I've gotten just after posting that way imperfect post I linked above, women are very interested!

Like PPs mentioned, there is this book:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/091...lance&n=283155

And there is also this booklet:
http://www.mothersdirect.com.au/prod132.htm

I've ordered both but haven't yet read either- does anyone know if they include detailed nutrition info?

I found a tad of info on how to eat during a twin pregnancy here:
http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregna...,,43m3,00.html

So many mamas seem to lose or have large decreases in their milk supply during pregnancy. If I could just get to the bottom of it, just find the answer as to whether the decrease is entirely up to our hormones or in direct relation at all to our diet, I could go to bed perfectly satisfied tonight.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, since I'm just about 6 months along, still nursing and seem to be getting plenty of nutrition (gained about 25 pounds in 25 weeks
) I'll share my experience....

I had terrible morning sickness from week 6 to week 14, but weirdly enough I couldn't get enough protein and I was thirsty as heck. With my first pregancy I couldn't even look at meat and I was lucky to get much water or other fluids in. I believe it was because my body knew what I needed and it didn't get the aversions I probably would have otherwise. I still gained plenty, because I had to eat every couple hours to help keep the nausea at bay and it doesn't help when peanut butter and lots of milk sound the best!

Anyway, the nursing continued pretty much the same for the first trimester. I did cut the nursing session first thing when I woke up, because I was too queesy to have a kid on me. Then by the second trimester we went from 4 feedings that were about 20 minutes each to now 2 feedings that are 5-10 minutes each. I don't believe that it was because my milk supply dropped, because I became engorged when he quit the other 2 feedings. I believe that the taste of my milk had changed (my husband will vouch that it doesn't taste as sweet as it used to *blush*). Plus it didn't help that he was getting 3 teeth in all at the same time when the decrease happened.

So, now we are down to 2 feedings and I can guarantee that he isn't taking much away from me nutritionally. I'm actually eating less than I was before getting pregnant and still gaining about a pound a week. I eat heavy on the protein, I don't limit fat, but I stear clear of sugar and processed foods. I also take my prenatal and cal-mag vitamins religiously. I'll admit that I'm probably not eating as many fruits and veggies as I should, but if I eat any more than a serving or two I end up with gas and loose stools. Pregnancy really messes up my bowls!

Anyway, hope that helps!

Amy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.