Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>i need a kick in the butt. i been drinking lots of coffee and its not even touching my energy level. all i do is lie around all day...well i mean not all day i have a 14 m/o so i play with her and i clean and cook and what not. i feel soooo drained all th time no matter what i seem to do. i was getting more exercise but now its freezing and me and DD both hate the cold! plus i dont have a car...well we do have 1 but DH takes it 5 days a week to work. on his days off we usually have to run errands or we want to have family time.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>so basically im looking for some sort of drink i can have in the am to "kickstart" my day. i figure someone will surely have a good recipe!</p>
<p>i dont do dairy but i use coconut milk (if the recipe called for a milk) TYIA!</p>

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
<p>I found that I need calories almost every hour to keep up my energy when nursing. We use smoothies a lot, but there is no exact recipe. It's pretty much just throw in any combination of the following (but I always try for a bunch of the vitamin things, that seems to help a lot!):</p>
<p> </p>
<p>a handful of spinach</p>
<p>yogurt</p>
<p>carrot juice</p>
<p>orange juice</p>
<p>strawberries (frozen)</p>
<p>blueberries (frozen)</p>
<p>mango (frozen)</p>
<p>a banana</p>
<p>protein powder</p>
<p>honey</p>
<p>vanilla</p>

·
Premium Member
2,748 Posts
Adding sprouts to my smoothie is as good as a few cups of coffee. Try chia, broccoli or fenugreek sprouts. I use 1 banana, 1 cup yogurt/kefir, 1/2 c frozen berries and 1/2 cup greens.

·
Registered
620 Posts
<p>I make myself this smoothie often., which might not be energy-giving enough for what you are looking for but is great and healthy anyways:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>1/2 c frozen berries (I use blueberries but have also used raspberries or a mix)</p>
<p>2 Tbls all-fruit blackberry jame, or a handful of blackberries</p>
<p>1 banana, frozen or fresh</p>
<p>1/2 c yogurt</p>
<p>1-2 Tbls almond butter</p>
<p>2-4 Tbls flax seeds</p>
<p>handful of oats (maybe 1/3c ?)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I never measure it, just dump it in there and blend... always delicious. keeps me full and awake for a while. You can also add tofu, it makes it a real meal</p>

·
Registered
15 Posts
<p>Here's the one we make</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Power smoothie (serves 1)</p>
<p>1/2 cup plain ow-fat yogurt</p>
<p>1 cup berries</p>
<p>1 scoop vanilla protein powder</p>
<p>1 cube smoothie greens (frozen cubes of blended veggies we get from our local health food store, each cube is equivalent to 5 servings of veggies)</p>
<p>2 tbsp ground flax seed</p>
<p>1 Tbsp flax oil or Udo's oil</p>
<p>1 cup unsweetened vanilla Almond breeze (or skim milk) can add more liquid if you want it more liquidy</p>

·
Registered
846 Posts
<p>blueberries , spinach , coconut milk , flax oil , banana , avocado pasteurized egg whites ( or eggs ) water  </p>

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
<p>This is my go-to smoothie when I'm feeling drained.  It's Dr. Oz's recipe.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The Quick Magical Breakfast Blaster2 servings, 136 calories per serving</p>
<ul><li>1 scoop (1/3 cup) Soy protein  <strong>(I don't do soy, so I use 1/3 cup of plain Greek yogurt</strong>)</li>
<li>1/2 tablespoon flax seed oil</li>
<li>1/4 cup frozen blueberries</li>
<li>1/2 large ripe banana (or other fruits of your choice)</li>
<li>1/2 tablespoon apple juice concentrate or honey  <strong>(I've found that it's sweet enough without either of these, so I leave it out)</strong></li>
<li>1 teaspoon psyllium seed husks</li>
</ul><p>Peel banana; break into chunks. Put all ingredients in a blender. Add 12 ounces of water and ice.   Cover, blend until fairly smooth.</p>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts