Mothering Forum banner

nutritious, portable lunches?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  jp79 
#1 ·
besides sandwiches?

I need ideas of what to feed my husband at work!

See less See more
#4 ·
I take all manner of leftovers. I also keep cans of soup in my office. If you get a decent size thermos, almost any leftover can be kept warm. For summer, I do salads- pasta salad, chicken salad, egg salad. Hummus with flatbread, veggies, crackers. Smoked sausage slices, cheese slices, with crackers.

I'm always looking for good picnic suggestions, which would be similar.

#5 ·
Salads:
Spinach & strawberry salad, sprinkle sunflower seeds over and squeeze fresh orange juice on top. Very yummy.

Carrot slices & celery w/ homemade guacamole
(mash an avocado, chop some tomatoe & onion, very finely mince 1/2 clove of garlic, mix it all up & the flavors will be well blended by lunchtime).
(I also like a portabella w/ the same guac on top, but not all will)

Most fruits are pretty easily portable and an easy addition to anything for lunch.

Bean burritos - super easy to cook up a pound of beans in your crockpot, roll up some burritos w/ beans & cheese, and freeze. If you freeze them in parchment paper they can go straight into the microwave.

#6 ·
My DH takes leftovers, too. I just pack him a lunch just like I would make him a dinner... main dish, and a couple sides - at least 2 veggies. We have tiffins, so I can pack 3 days worth of food on Sunday, stack them in the fridge and he's good to go for the week (company buys lunch on Th and Fri). In the morning, he grabs a container, adds another one that he fills with fresh fruit, nuts, string cheese and he's got a day's worth of food. He keeps a KK at work for water.

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
My DH takes leftovers, too. I just pack him a lunch just like I would make him a dinner... main dish, and a couple sides - at least 2 veggies. We have tiffins, so I can pack 3 days worth of food on Sunday, stack them in the fridge and he's good to go for the week (company buys lunch on Th and Fri). In the morning, he grabs a container, adds another one that he fills with fresh fruit, nuts, string cheese and he's got a day's worth of food. He keeps a KK at work for water.
I love tiffins!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.