Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am wondering if anybody has any personal experiences and insights on NW Cryobank. We have a daughter conceived from Fairfax, but our donor is inactive. All of the counts I've had from Fairfax have just been terrible.

We've been TTC for awhile now and price is becoming a huge consideration. The prices of NW are pretty attractive compared to Fairfax. My RE won't use CCB.

I searched this board for similar threads, but the one for NW Cryobank is pretty dated. I thought it would be worth a new one.

Thoughts?

TIA!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
We used Northwest and had a pretty good experience. One vial had low counts--their guarantee is really only for more than 9million motile, not 10, as stated (because it's 10, plus or minus ten percent) so we had a little grouchy interaction there, but they worked with us to find a solution that everyone was happy with. Otherwise we liked working with them, and our kids are the cutest, so, you know, there's that. :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
I realize this is an old thread, but in case it might be useful information for you I thought I'd reply. We used NW because they'd ship the tank directly to our house, and also because their prices are very attractive.
We did not use any medical professionals, but did at-home inseminations (so I couldn't speak to the sperm counts) and my wife conceived our now nearly 2.5 year old daughter. NW has been storing the remainder of our vials for the next attempt.
Our experience with them has been fine, though I do worry about how much they actually try to keep in contact with the WTBK donors so that my kid can get in touch with hers someday. I also appreciate the pregnancy registry and forum, as they enabled us to find 6 families who also used the same donor.
Good luck!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I can't speak to the counts as we are not using a medical professional, but the registration and purchasing is pretty seamless.

We also haven't shipped our vials yet, but I'll update once that's a thing!

The only thing I can speak to is the variety.. or lack thereof.. of "ethnic" donors. There are like two Hispanic, a Vietnamese, and a middle eastern. Everyone else is Caucasian. That's not a huge deal, but if ethnic origin is a deal breaker, you may want to explore other options. That's mostly because of their geographic location (they are based in Spokane, WA)...

Prices are nice, though :thumb

·
Registered
1 Posts
Currently using NW Cryobank

Hi there! This is my first post on mothering! My wife and I are using NW Cryobank and everything has been very seamless and easy, like other posters have commented. I will second the lack of non-white donors. My wife is Mexican and it's important to her to have a Latino donor, and there were only one or two on the whole site. The good news is that our donor has 50+ samples at the bank, so for people looking for a Latino donor there is at least ONE option, though that is pretty disheartening! We also looked at several other banks in the NW, including OHSU and the Sperm Bank of California, and the choices for non-white donors were even fewer.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi there! This is my first post on mothering! My wife and I are using NW Cryobank and everything has been very seamless and easy, like other posters have commented. I will second the lack of non-white donors. My wife is Mexican and it's important to her to have a Latino donor, and there were only one or two on the whole site. The good news is that our donor has 50+ samples at the bank, so for people looking for a Latino donor there is at least ONE option, though that is pretty disheartening! We also looked at several other banks in the NW, including OHSU and the Sperm Bank of California, and the choices for non-white donors were even fewer.
@apherrera71 I am in the same boat as you. My wife in Mexican and we were looking for a full Mexican donor. I used Midwest Sperm Bank. They have a few Mexicans on there. They do ship to your home or to the doctors office. Very good prices. The gals that run the place are super nice and supportive. We are currently waiting 2 weeks to find out if we're pregnant or not. But we used a mexican donor from Midwest and he is super cute!!!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
We are using one of the two Mexican donors from NWCryobank. If anyone wants to know which donor is which (esp if we both result in pregnancies) PM me and I'll let you know the donor number.

I have three vials sitting on my back porch in their dewar. It's day 6 with our dewar - we may have to send back. If we do I will update on that process with NW!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Sorry for the bump, but I am researching sperm banks and I have a couple of questions about NW Cryo that I am hoping someone here could answer... First, of course the relatively cheaper pricing is appealing! Does anyone know WHY they are cheaper, though? Is there something vital that other places do that they do not? Second, I couldn't find on their site how many families/pregnancies they will allow per donor. Does anyone have that info?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
It's been a while since I was researching, but I didn't find any info about why they are cheaper--I assumed it was a way to get more customers. They don't do some of the bells and whistles that other banks do (adult photos, video interviews, voice interviews, etc) so if that's important to you it won't be a good match. There also aren't (to my knowledge) actual family caps that they enforce--I think they might informally do it by only letting people donate for a certain amount of time, unlike other banks (Midwest is the one I worked with initially) who will keep the same donor for years and years and have hundreds of potential pregnancies. NW has a sibling forum but you only end up there if you report the pregnancy, so obviously there are other possible families out there. My donor has about 5 families that have signed up saying they have had successful pregnancies, and is no longer an option in the catalog, so you can read into that what you will. To be fair, I don't know how the other banks regulate the number of families, either, except through voluntary information sharing.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
I remember being told they do have caps but I don't remember the number, I just remember thinking it was not true because the number of families for our donor exceeded the cap. I had a very negative experience with them when I used them 10 years ago. They have new owners now and I hear much better things these days. My guess would be they do less genetic testing on donors which makes them cheaper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.