Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...C08&p_docnum=5

This is all over the radio and news here.

Quote:
According to Seneca President Maurice A. John, many tribe members are upset because they feel Spitzer broke a promise that he would stop pressing for state tax collections if the Senecas agreed to "self-regulate."

The promise was made by the governor last year during meetings between Spitzer and the previous Seneca president, Barry Snyder, John said.

John said the Senecas began self-regulation earlier this month, when they enacted a new tribal tariff on all cigarette sales. The tribe hopes to collect millions of dollars each year. Some of the money will be spent on health and welfare programs for the tribe, and some will be distributed directly to tribe members.

"We feel the governor has gone back on his word," John said. "And now, I can't even get him to meet with me. . . . We are not going to be tax collectors for New York State."

John, wearing an Indian headdress and carrying a cane decorated with an eagle's claw, was one of about a dozen speakers at the rally. The event came one day after the governor, speaking to The Buffalo News in Albany, declared that he still intends to collect state taxes on Native American tobacco sales to non-Indians.

"As I've made clear, I think it is both appropriate and lawful that the taxes be collected," Spitzer said Monday.

Quote:
John said he is trying to avoid violence this time, but he said he cannot guarantee that it will not erupt.

"We're trying to appeal to the governor for reason," he said. "This is a peaceful demonstration today. We do not want to do roadblocks. We do not want to have our people arrested as terrorists."

Quote:
"We're a separate nation. It's like New York State going up to Canada and trying to collect taxes," said Seneca elder Nelson Spruce, who works at Adlai's smoke shop and gasoline station.

What do you think? All I know is over the radio the other day, people were outright calling the natives "heathens", "savages" etc. Claimed that they were going to set fires along the thruway and blow up a bridge. I cannot believe in this day and age that kind of feeling still exists.

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
I think it's illegal to tax them... based on treaties and agreements that go back a hundred or more years.

Shouldn't Spitzer know this as he was the Attorney General?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yup... that's why there's such an outrage. To my knowledge, those living on reservations have complete sovereignity over their land, and it's illegal to tax their products.

This is causing HUGE hubub... as I'm right smack dab in the middle of 4 or 5 reservations. And quite honestly, I can't say as I blame them for being upset: once again, a treaty is being broken and their rights are being trampled on. I'm pretty sure it'd tick me off too.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The issue here seems to be the tax of products (gas and tobacco) to non-Indians. The treaty doesn't protect sales to residents outside of the reservations.

In addition, the NY governor (Pataki) had tried not to put in place the tax laws that law makers passed through legislation. Now that Pataki is out, Spitzer is tasked with either striking that legislation down, or upholding it.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
How do you force a tax on another nation?

.....This can't be right..... It can't possibly be approved.....

Where do you see the details of this? Are they talking about taxing the imports to that nation? or taxing the exports?

Or just blatantly taxing the nation? Is there a better explanation of what they are trying to do?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Basically, the biggest item they want to tax is cigarrettes. The majority of Western New Yorkers buy their cartons from the reservations. So, the governement is losing MAJOR money from the sin tax on smokes.

Therefore, their solution to this problem is to tax products sold on reservations to non-natives.

·
Banned
5,619 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yoshua View Post
How do you force a tax on another nation?

.....This can't be right..... It can't possibly be approved.....

Where do you see the details of this? Are they talking about taxing the imports to that nation? or taxing the exports?

Or just blatantly taxing the nation? Is there a better explanation of what they are trying to do?

Holy crap! Yeah the above

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redifer View Post
Therefore, their solution to this problem is to tax products sold on reservations to non-natives.
Could treat it like every other nation. Get a passport to enter the country, or a birth certificate like is required for canada, and make declarations of any purchases. If you lie you are imprisoned.

Don't need to tax the nation, tax the people leaving the nation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.