Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I am due in about 3 weeks, and we'd like to use a cloth diaper service.  I was hoping some of you might have recommendations about which NYC service you prefer? </p>
<p> </p>
<p>We'd prefer one with more organic practices.  Also, I know that some of them require you to buy a certain kind of diaper, but I've heard very strong but different reviews of the different cloth diapers out there, so I'm not sure if that is a problem? </p>
<p> </p>
<p>We don't have a washer in our unit, so we also really want the service to wash as much diaper related stuff for us as possible. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>We also won't be in the US from the time our daughter is about 4-7 months old, so we'd want to choose a service where being away for 3 months wouldn't be an issue - not sure if that would even be relevant, but I thought I'd mention it just in case...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks in advance for any advice/recommendations!</p>

·
Registered
145 Posts
<p>I might be wrong, but I believe there is only one service in the city at the moment - Diaper Kind. We use Diaper Kind & LOVE them. They provide PF only (For the most part they are unbleached organic PFs), you need to maintain your own covers (we hand wash ours in the sink when they get poop on them) but they sell a few different kinds. They have been super helpful - DD was small when she was born and she didn't fit into the small size, so when I emailed them over labor day weekend, they were able to get a set of preemie size diapers ready for our next delivery. While we were deciding what we going to do about diapers I emailed them A LOT asking a ton of questions and they were very responsive and always helpful. But, like I said, they might be the only service in NYC now as I believe Queen Bee is not around anymore.</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>Thanks for the reply!. How often do you have to wash the diaper covers?  How many do you need?  And how did you pick which kind to use? </p>

·
Registered
145 Posts
<p>We wash with detergent when they get poop on them (which seems to be at least one a day) and then throw some in the wash each week with her regular laundry. Other wise I just wipe them down with some warm water and rotate through them during the day. It's not bad. We have a bunch - more than we need. I think we have 9 or 10 just because I liked them. I think we could easily do with 6. I keep 2 in the diaper bag at all times. I asked a bunch of people what they used and checked some out at MetroMinis. We wound up getting mostly Thirsties Duo wraps because they seemed like a popular choice among my friends that CD. We also have 1 Bummis Super Whisper Wrap that DH hates because it's covered PUL and absorbs odors (I don't use it for nighttime anymore) and takes longer to dry. I like the Thirsties because they have gussets at the legs and DD has skinny thighs, so it keeps her clothes clean. We also have a custom wiggleworm bottom cover that's adorable, but also covered PUL.</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<p>Thanks for the replies.  I've signed up for the diaperkind service, and bought a couple of different kinds of covers to try out.  (I also bought one package of biodegradable disposables as backup in case we really screw up somehow with the cloth.)  Thanks for the feedback - it really helped us figure out what to order!</p>

·
Registered
145 Posts
<p>Glad to help. You'll learn really quickly - our daughter has never worn anything but cloth. We finally returned the package of disposables that we bought as back-up.</p>

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
<p>I went to an event where the two women from Diaper Kind spoke and really like them.  The service is a little pricey for my budget, but my mom gave me a gift of some money to cover the start-up costs, so I'm going to try it out when our baby is born.</p>

·
Banned
329 Posts
<p> </p>
<br>
Hi -<br>
I don't live on the east coast anymore but still am in a big city with no washer in unit and use a diaper service. It's the only way we can do cloth!<br><br>
Just wanted to let you know that we had a hard time keeping up with hand washing the diaper covers, especially once we started solids, and ended up buying one of these:<br>
<a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325&tag=motheringhud-20&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Faw%2Fd.html%2Fref%3Dredir_mdp_mobile%2F178-1691284-3856135%3Fa%3DB000BTDNEK" rel="norewrite" target="_blank">http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.html/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/178-1691284-3856135?a=B000BTDNEK</a><br><br>
Some of the reviews say it doesnt clean adult clothing as it should but I only use it for diaper covers, mama cloth, nursing bras, etc and it's been a life saver!!! I imagine it could also be great for washing a few newborn items with messy newborn poo too ;0)<br><br>
Hope this helps! Congrats on the new babe!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
<p>We use Natures Premiere Diaper Service and LOOOOOOVE them! They are an eco friendly diaper service that uses no harsh chemicals or anything that is harmful for the environment. I don't know anything about diaperkind, but for my shower someone bought me a gift certificate to Nature's Premiere and we have been with them ever since!</p>

·
Registered
1 Posts
<p><span style="font-size:medium;"><span style="font-family:calibri;">Green Style Baby would be another choice. They just open and they are very friendly. I love they eco-conscious approach towards babies and environment.   </span></span></p>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts