Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I can just imagine a Cop saying"Back away from the boobie baby or I'll ticket ya!"

Sorry when I see this the only thing to keep from going crazy is to try and laugh about it cause I'd raise HOLY HELL if it were me...

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
kate~mom, the 9 hasn't existed for a year. It is all the 1 now.

On the topic...I breastfed the pixie on the subway.
Never got so much as a second glance. Hmmm.

What on earth were they thinking?

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
WAIT A MINUTE!! When I was still living in NYC women SUED and WON the right to go TOPLESS on the subways...so this is making no sense. My system is really messed up (blicking search engines...lol no lie) so give me time to look it up. I remember this ruling quite clearly!

I FOUND THIS-now forgive me I cannto open the page (Major problem here) www.uslaw.com/dumb_new_york_laws.html

Quote:
The New York City Transit Authority has ruled that women can ride the city subways topless. New York law dictates that if a man can be somewhere without a shirt, a woman gets the same right. The decision came after arrests of women testing the ordinance on the subways. A transit police spokesman said they would comply with the new rule, but "if they were violating any other rules, like sitting on a subway bench topless smoking a cigarette, then we would take action."

Quote:
New York: Citizens may not greet each other by "putting one's thumb to the nose and wiggling the fingers". It is illegal for a woman to be on the street wearing "body hugging clothing." You may not smoke within 100 feet of the entrance to a public building. Women may go topless in public, providing it is not being used as a business.
I cannot access my email now-I wanted to email Fox this information-someone please do!

I always nursed on the subway-only incident was a woman telling me nursing my DD was gonna make her a lesbian!
I said I LOVE MY GAY BABY!

I also brought my dog on the subway, the cops did stop me-to pet her!

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I emailed this to Fox News:

Quote:
Your news article (http://www.myfoxny.com/myfox/pages/H...Y&pageId=1.1.1) this evening about mothers being arrested for breastfeeding on New York City subways is disturbing. And, I'd like to know exactly for what reason they were arrested? Because there were serving a beverage in an open container? It can't be for indecent exposure, for two reasons:

1) breastfeeding is not indecent exposure, and this is protected by law (see http://lalecheleague.org/Law/Bills30.html)

2) being topless on the subway is not illegal, and this is also protected by law: see http://www.uslaw.com/dumb_new_york_laws.html but also, I quote:

Quote:
"The New York City Transit Authority has ruled that women can ride the city subways topless. New York law dictates that if a man can be somewhere without a shirt, a woman gets the same right. The decision came after arrests of women testing the ordinance on the subways. A transit police spokesman said they would comply with the new rule, but "if they were violating any other rules, like sitting on a subway bench topless smoking a cigarette, then we would take action."

Quote:
"New York: Citizens may not greet each other by "putting one's thumb to the nose and wiggling the fingers". It is illegal for a woman to be on the street wearing "body hugging clothing." You may not smoke within 100 feet of the entrance to a public building. Women may go topless in public, providing it is not being used as a business."

Would you please clarify in a follow-up article this information for riders of the NYC subway, as well as indicate exactly why these women were ticketed and by whom? (subway workers? NYC police? National Guared???)

Thank you!

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I received clarification on the API yahoo group:

Quote:
You CAN breastfeed on the subway

So, I did a little research and here's what I was able to find out about the Fox
5 story -
basically they're just trying to make something sound controversial when it
totally isn't.
The worst thing about this is that the story made us all feel afraid to
breastfeed on the
subway, when everyone involved intended the exact opposite.

So here's what I found:

#1. "In 2004, the MTA ticketed one breastfeeding mother for indecent exposure.
The
ticket was dismissed, but the incident led to the first annual breastfeeding
caravan." (http://wcbstv.com/local/local_story_216192129.html)

#2 The annual breastfeeding caravan is sponsored by Carolyn Maloney (my
congresswoman!), Kate Sharp (my lactation consultant!) and the Breastfeeding
Promotion
Leadership Committee (http://nyc.cce.cornell.edu/nutrition/bplc.php) which is
jointly
coordinated by the New York City and State Departments of Health.
(http://www.nyc.gov/
html/doh/html/press_archive04/pr093-0802.shtml).

In other words, it is an official event of the City of New York, intended to
educate the
public after the MTA mistakenly ticketed someone in 2004. NO CONTROVERSY HERE!
The
activists and the government are on the same side! The only people who are
trying to
make breastfeeding seem illicit and controversial are the reporters at Fox 5
News.

#3 The laws that Maloney has introduced in Congress are intended only to protect
and
encourage breastfeeding, particularly in states that currently have no
protections for
breastfeeding mothers. There are no Federal laws prohibiting breastfeeding, and
certainly
none that would apply specifically to the MTA. I can't find a direct link to
the text of
Maloney's bill, but you can find it by searching for Bill number HR2122 on this
page:
http://thomas.loc.gov/

In other words, the City of New York, the State of New York and the Federal
Government
are all united in wanting you to breastfeed wherever you like. It is the media
who are
making you feel like breastfeeding is controversial, furtive and criminal. I
don't think
they're doing it because they hate babies, I think they're just trying to boost
ratings. But
it's horribly irresponsible, and we should definitely send them lots of mail
telling them we
know what they're up to and it is appalling.

Sorry to be so pedantic. But goddamnit, the truth is important!!

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Well, there is no eating or drinking on subways at all anymore. So it kinda would make sense that if an adult can't eat neither can a baby.

If the MTA were entirely a private transportation company, I would say they can make rules limiting what people can do on their subways. But, most of their income is from tax dollars, so I don't think they should infringe upon people's rights to eat and drink.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wow. When we visited there a few years ago I nursed my 2 yo dd on the subway every day! She was freaked out by the trains, so as soon as we walked down the stairs she yanked my shirt up and latched on, then stayed latched until we got off the train!
I nursed her all over the city, and she was really almost 3! Nobody even looked at us.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
The law about eating or drinking on subways was put into effect less than 2 years ago.

I remember hearing about a girl who had a cup of coffee in her hand. The cop watched her for about half an hour. When she finally raised it to her lips, she got a ticket.

Most people don't like the laws, but the intent seems decent -- too keep the subways cleaner. There were so many complaints about spilled food and drink getting on everyone's clothes.

They DO mop the cars at the end of the line. I lived at the end of the R line for 20 years and saw them do it all the time.

A co-worker of mine wore something nice on the day of an office party. On the bus on the way from NJ to work in Manhattan, someone spilled an iced-coffee all over her blouse. When she got off the bus, she went into one of the expensive Manhattan stores and bought another shirt because she didn't want to look like a slob in front of co-workers and business guests.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanPlanter View Post
I saw it on the news again just now... it's a FEDERAL issue, not NYC/NYS.
apparently the subway is a federal property.
Wow, that is crazy!! Either way, its NY and the law states bfing is allowed anywhere the mother is allowed to be. In federal law, you can not prohibit bfing on federal property. Oh, the abuse of power is so frustrating.

I understand that I can't eat or drink while taking public transportation and I have self-control. However, you can not expect a baby to understand that.The rules of "no food or drink" do not mean that babies can't be fed on public transportation. Ooooh, mad, mad, mad!!

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
I don't know if they count it as public property. When they announced more than a year ago that they could search your bags, they said they could do that because it is a private service that you pay for.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.