Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm traveling to NYC/NJ next week (Sat. 11/19 - Wed. 11/23) and if it's in the 60s, what type of coat should we where?

I used to live there and I can't remember.

I'm trying to pack for myself and the children and I'm trying to figure if I need bulky coats or not. I know if it's in the 40s, I definitely need bulky coats... but I'm not sure if I do if it's in the 60s.

also... I'm debating between bringing the Maclaren VOLO or TECHNO. Which do you recommend? I'm leaning towards the Volo (especially with TWO up and down subways and buses.) What do mamas of 2 do?

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
1st, it's always cold on Thanksgiving, even if it's 70 degrees marathon weekend.

Bring layers. Prepare for anywhere from 35-65 degrees.

2nd, bring a stroller and a sling - I have the techno, but I guess the volo is lighter. I manage very well with the techno on the subway, but I only have one ds.

You could sling the 16mo when the 5.5yo needs to sit in the stroller, and then put the 16mo in the stroller when the 5.5yo is walking. Put the 16mo in the sling when you go up and down stairs or escalators, so you can hold the 5.5yo's hand while dragging the stroller behind you. Some kind stranger will offer to help you with the stroller (this always happens to me) but don't hesitate to ask for help if you need it.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
Well, I'm sitting here in fishnet stockings and...

Oh, that's not quite what you meant...

Layer, layer layer. The weather in this area can be really fickle this time of year. I'm not far from NYC, and if I were spending much time outside (there or here), I would wear something along the lines of jeans, a light shirt (t-shirt, sleeveless shirt, something like that) that is "nice enough" to wear on it's own if it gets warm, and a light sweater or heavy shirt to wear over it. If I was going to be out and about for a long time, I'd probably bring a third layer along with me just in case - maybe a light jacket, sweater, something like that. For evening, a few layers and maybe a medium-weight jacket. You won't need a winter parka just yet, maybe a trim wool coat or something along those lines.

Can't help you on the stroller question. I always sling my girls when we go into the city. In fact, last time I was in NYC (for the nurse-in!), I slung *both* girls - Talia (then a little over 3) on my back in an ABC and Anika (then, oh, 10 months? Something like that) in front in my sling.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Just wanted to say re: strollers that I do a lot of walking in the city and my ds is 45 pounds and my back is messed up so I can't sling him long distances - I rely on my stroller. The stroller is like our car, in a way.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks so much for the replies mamas!

Layers... good idea.

I have a navy (warm winter) pea coat for myself. I guess I'll pack something lighter (for all of us), just in case.

Urban Planter

PRO - Techno can carry my 5.5 yr old
CON - Volo cannot hold my 5.5 yr old

I remember when DS was just 3.5 (in the sling of course
), and me lugging the Techno (just up 3 steps on a bus!) it was HELL!!! (I guess I'm a weakling.) I can't imagine doing it with two.
I sooooo want to bring it, since it's way more comfy for my DD (she can fully recline to sleep).

I'm happy to hear that strangers will offer to help.
: That's what I'll be praying for.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
It's generally a bit warmer in NYC than it is here. I have yet to break out a winter jacket. I've been wearing my thin quilted car coat with varying shirts underneath (tank and tee, tank and sweater, etc). Jeans and socks and clogs. I have to be reeeeally cold before I'll add longjohns and increase the thickness of my butt.

The baby usually has babylegs, socks, shoes, pants, a shirt or two, and a nice thick hoodie; removing layers as necessary as the day goes on.

I'd probably bring a coat or sweatshirt with long sleeves and big pockets, something that you can tie around your waist and stuff your hat and gloves and whatever in for 'just in case'. The biggest pita is lugging around a big coat in your arms. I always hate that.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Urban Planter... we posted at the same time. Hmmm... now you are making me reconsider.

Our children are the same weight (45 lbs or so) and I thought he'd be OK walking more (he usually doesn't complain because he's 5.5 now) and I was hoping to put my toddler if I needed a break from the sling.

Hmmm.... still debating stroller choices. Ugh!

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
I was just gonna say that maybe you don't need the stroller if your 5.5yo can handle walking a lot. You could sling the 16mo everywhere. Altho, I always found having a stroller convenient for naps if I was out all day - ds would fall asleep in it and I could still move about town. Yes, he could also nap in a sling, but at 16 months he was already 35 pounds or more, and I was having trouble with sling-endurance on my part.

Long story short: if your 5.5yo can handle walking, then just bring the volo; if you think you can handle long-term slinging, don't bring the volo. Strollers are handy for carrying bags and packages, btw

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanPlanter
Altho, I always found having a stroller convenient for naps if I was out all day - ds would fall asleep in it and I could still move about town.
That's why I love
my Techno stroller... primarily for naps.
And it's much more roomier for shopping bags because it reclines.

Quote:

Long story short: if your 5.5yo can handle walking, then just bring the volo; if you think you can handle long-term slinging, don't bring the volo. Strollers are handy for carrying bags and packages, btw

Problem solved... I'll probably bring the Volo. I'll just have to get over the trauma of seeing my beautiful baby with a crooked neck, asleep in the Volo.
But it's not that bad, not as bad as other cheapo strollers I've seen.

Muchisimas gracias.

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
tboroson, you were at the nurse-in? I missed you.
Met Mom2Alikat, U'P, guerillam'a, anniej, annettemarie, KateNYC I think, who-all else ... but missed you.
You in any of the pictures?

Layer. Yeah, that.

And with more-than-one and subways, I sling/wrap the littlest and make anyone over the age of 2 walk up and down the subway steps, and close&carry the stroller. Absolutely don't do the double-stroller on subways or buses, way too heavy and too much hassle, so the d-s is for walking-only outings. Strangers do often offer to help, though I sometimes find that to be a problem, as they can offer help that causes more trouble than anything else ...

Loving NY in autumn ...

And while we're at it, hey, Tanibani, how do you have time to come galavanting in NYC when you're busy scheduling all those troop withdrawals?

:

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by merpk
Loving NY in autumn ...

whew!!!! that's good news! for some reason, I'm remembering taking a friend around NYC in the bitter cold (freezing wind) around New Year's in the late 90s.

Not!

It's still fall.
: Fall, please hang around.

I am too busy putting laundry away (and obsessing about
what to pack) to schedule troop
withdrawals. I guess some other MDC mama will have to do it.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by merpk
tboroson, you were at the nurse-in? I missed you.
Met Mom2Alikat, U'P, guerillam'a, anniej, annettemarie, KateNYC I think, who-all else ... but missed you.
You in any of the pictures?

Yup, I was there
I was looking around for anybody I might identify as an MDC person, but I felt really silly walking up to people and saying "Hi, I'm Tboroson. Are you on MDC?" I am in some pics... let's see what I can find...

http://xfe.xanga.com/fa480a2275d317722921/b6156043.jpg
I'm in the back, slightly left of center, being pulled in two different directions by two little girls.
That's Anika in my sling, Talia pulling on my right hand, and my friend's daughter Emma on my left hand.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tboroson
Yup, I was there
I was looking around for anybody I might identify as an MDC person, but I felt really silly walking up to people and saying "Hi, I'm Tboroson. Are you on MDC?" I am in some pics... let's see what I can find...

http://xfe.xanga.com/fa480a2275d317722921/b6156043.jpg
I'm in the back, slightly left of center, being pulled in two different directions by two little girls.
That's Anika in my sling, Talia pulling on my right hand, and my friend's daughter Emma on my left hand.
OMG! You are standing right behind Guerrillamama and Anthromama! I was sitting right next to them most of the time, but I'm not in your picture! I had on a bright pink v-neck t-shirt.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
Ok, so what is UP with this WEATHER?!?!?!

It is like 70 degrees out today!
This is very weird.
It is not supposed to be this warm.
But, I still say be prepared for 35-65 degrees.

In the fall I usually wear or carry with me:
-sneakers or ankle boots - comfortable walking shoes
-jeans - pockets are useful for my keys, wallet, money, cell phone (I don't carry a purse)
-t shirt
-cardigan hoodie or cotton sweater cardigan
-fleece cardigan/hoodie
-waterproof windbreaker
-lightweight gloves in my coat pockets, just in case

bring a stroller blanket for the babe, and don't forget the stroller rainshield!
bring a bag that you can either easily wear while wearing your baby, or hang on the stroller - like a messenger type bag that can hold lots of snacks and water bottles

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you Urban Planter for taking the time to post. It's very helpful.

Stroller Rainshield
Is rain expected?
THAT sucks! Only the Techno has the rainshield.

Thanks Breathless Wonder. I know... I've got my eye on the weather forecast icon every day... so I am aware it's gonna change.

It's been 80 degrees here in SoCal for the past 2 days. My son went swimming with a friend at a local, outdoor, heated pool. In November (and being from the East Coast), I couldn't pass up the invite.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
I have no idea if it's gonna rain or not; I just always have the rainshield just in case.
Maybe you could cut a piece of clear plastic dropcloth to fit over your stroller, and clip it on with butterfly clips and make sure there are air holes? It is just very useful to have if baby is asleep in the stroller and it happens to start raining.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
oh, and bring hats for your kiddos, in case it goes below 60 degrees.
I find that that makes a huge difference in my ds' warmth - but he has very short hair.

ETA: by the way if you forget hats/gloves/scarves/umbrellas you can very easily buy them cheap on the street from a street vendor.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

so Tanibani, where are you staying? what are your plans?
we are free all afternoon on Tuesday! We live near Union Square.
Finally! An invite!
I used to be regular on Babycenter AP board (3+ years ago) and when I used to visit NYC, I * tried* to meet other posters, but it never happened. Oh well.

Anyway, I'm staying with my sister in Fort Lee, NJ, but plan to be in NYC Sunday, Monday & Tuesday. One of those evenings (maybe more than one) I'll be having dinner with my other sister in Long Island City (over the 59th St Bridge/Queensboro Bridge).

Sunday, Monday, Tuesday day - doing kid stuff (since DS has little patience for anything else
: )

This is what I hope to visit:
- Museum of Natural History (and maybe a Bagel lunch at Zabar's)
- Central Park Zoo (climbing rocks in Central Park).
- Serendipity on E 60th St for some
my frozen hot chocolate. Oprah raved about it a few months ago. I can't believe I lived there most of my life (walked by it a million times) and never went in.

and I'm not sure what else.

I would LOVE to visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art (i miss art museums), but with a loud 5.5 yr old, I'm doubt it would work. Maybe I could show him the Knights, huge Christmas tree, real mummies... but after awhile, he'd complain he was bored.

A local friend suggested I stop by the Upper Breast Side just to
check it out. Would love to, but not sure if I can. (Isn't that funny? Only an MDC/AP mama would make a breastfeeding supply/support store a destination on a vacation to NYC.
)

It might be nice to visit Union Square Park. It's a maybe.
Or you can meet us somewhere.

Rain
Well, my Maya Wrap works great to cover... but the freakin' Volo doesn't even come with a stroller hood! I think the new ones do. If I want a hood for it, I have to shell out $49.
:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.