Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I'm not an expert and haven't done a ton of research on this, but I prefer nylon over PUL any day. I do think PUL (especially the 2 ml laminate) is probably more waterproof, but it isn't breathable at all. For example, my beloved quick dry Angel Wraps use nylon instead of PUL. My DS can wear those without any problems or redness. If he spends too long in a PUL diaper, he gets red and sore. That says to me that the nylon is more breathable than the PUL. Same goes for Bummis covers -- no problems with those. I guess it could also be that he's just sensitive to one of the chemicals in the PUL. But anyway, that's my experience.

Oh, and the nylon is much softer, IMO. Less stiff feeling.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Well, I personally prefer nylon over PUL. I do use PUL in my covers, because it seems to be the preference of the majority.
I know that PUL is softer than nylon and doesn't make any crinkly sounds, but I don't know. I just like the feel of nylon better for some reason!

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
I 'prefer' nylon over PUL as well. I like fitted diapers and cpfs over all-in-ones for this reason. ALTHOUGH Terri's (FMBG) AIOs do not leave Kenny red for some reason. I'm certain she uses PUL - maybe there are certain levels of breathability. Kenny's buttkicker diaper is the only all-in-one (outside of pocket diapers) that we ever use. A 'show' diaper.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I find my nylon lasts longer than my PUL and also breathes better-no sweating of the dry diaper sections. PUL just seems to break down faster in my house. Also Nylon can be washed and dried on hot and I thought PUl could not(should not?) be dried on hot?

Musings of someone who hasn't had any coffee yet.
:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hi,

I've washed and dried all my PUL covers on hot for over 4 years now and they are all in great shape and work fine! No damage, no problem that I'm aware of... I wonder if it all depends on what kind of PUL it is and from where?? I've heard many complain about PUL wearing out so it must be the kind and the manufacturer... I have mother-ease and buckeyebottoms. Also, I use gentle environmentally friendly detergents so that may also have to do with it!

Azadeh

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Quote:
Also Nylon can be washed and dried on hot and I thought PUl could not(should not?) be dried on hot?
Okay I thought it was the other way around. I always wash my PUL HH on hot with no problem but would hand wash my Bummis nylon covers in warm per the manufactioners instructions. So I always thought nylon was more fragile. I am pretty sure that the story behind the creation of PUL was for it to be used at super high heats.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Just something else to think about but the laminator that the majority of the wahm's use state that both their 1 mil and their 2 mil IS breathable, of course the 1 mil is more than the 2 mil but they both ARE breathable.
The PUL is also made to withstand repeated autoclaving so the lower dryer heat should not break your PUL down.

Again this is per the manufacturer and their spec sheets.

edited for spelling

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by detergentdiva
Just something else to think about but the laminator that the majority of the wahm's use state that both their 1 mil and their 2 mil IS breathable, of course the 1 mil is more than the 2 mil but they both ARE breathable.
The PUL is also made to withstand repeated autoclaving so the lower dryer heat should not break your PUL down.

Again this is per the manufacturer and their spec sheets.

edited for spelling
I've never been able to breathe through any PUL covers that I have.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I have always preferred nylon to PUL(which stands for polyester urethane laminate as far as I know.) I found that PUL broke down in its waterproofness sooner, but just barely, than nylon taffeta. Both use urethane in 1mil or 2mil thicknesses. I think the only reason that the PUL loses its waterproofness is because the stretchiness of the fabric itself causes the urethane to pull away from the fabric faster than the woven, non-stretchy nylon. Which is a good trade off if you need a stretchy cover.

The main reason I prefer it is because it is cheaper to buy a nylon pant than a PUL wrap. All coated fabrics lose their effective waterproofness over time, and PUL has the advantage of being so much cuter than plain ol boring nylon taffeta

Some UL fabrics (poly or nylon) are coated in a 'breatheable' layer of urethane, which means that there are teeny eensy microscopic holes in the urethane which are big enough to let air through but too small for moisture to pass. In theory. What usually happens is the breatheable UL sweats as it is washed because the holes get bigger. Again, this takes a looong time to happen though. If you really need a cover to last for a long time or even forever before becoming useless, go wool. It can be relanolized indefinitely as far as I know.

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Melaniee
I've never been able to breathe through any PUL covers that I have.
Why does this make me laugh? I'm envisioning Melaniee with a PUL cover on her head . . . inhale . . . exhale . . . "Nope, can't breathe through it." :LOL :LOL

Okay, that was a bit 'off,' but just gave me a night-time laugh.

I'm 'hard' on my nylon covers. Geez, my first covers were the Alexis Nylon Pull-Ons and they saw years of dryer use without it being problematic.

·
Registered
868 Posts
"Why does this make me laugh? I'm envisioning Melaniee with a PUL cover on her head . . . inhale . . . exhale . . . "Nope, can't breathe through it." "

ROFL!! Maybe WAHM's should start placing disclaimers on their covers "do not place over head".

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
:LOL Now come on Heather, I'm sure I recall that you have done stranger things in the name of Cloth Diapering experiements.

I've always hoped the neighbors won't see me sniffing my diapers (to make sure they are clean) as I take them out of the washer, too. I can only imagine what they'd think!

I'll have to do some cover-breathing soon and post my results. I can't remember exactly the varying degree of breathability the various polyester fleeces have. I just remember try to suck through a pair of Happy Pants & a Posie Patch Cover. Now there's something not to take out of context. :ignore

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Melaniee
:LOL Now come on Heather, I'm sure I recall that you have done stranger things in the name of Cloth Diapering experiements.
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

And yes
, you are right - - - >> but I sure don't have personal pucker up experience to my Happy Heiny! :LOL Okay, sorry - couldn't pass that one up.

Seriously though, I do believe nylon is more breathable than PUL. Not to say that PUL produces a sweat factory or anything. C'mon diaper sewin'/makin' mommas . . . answer our PUL questions. I know Linda has responded - thank you!
Where are the others? Hey, girlfactory ours from you seem to stay cool - what is in the FMBG? PUL - 1 or 2 mil?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.