Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried N'Zymes for a yeast overgrowth in your dog? If so how long did it take to get better?

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I refuse to use nzymes for two reasons: One, they don't contain any enzymes. They are soy protein, which is supposed to encourage the body to produce its own enzymes, but I find the implication that they are enzymes to be close to dishonest. Two, their "nutritional expert" is vehemently anti-raw and vigorously shills her own feeding program, which I have personally seen result in unhealthy dogs. I have also had some personal contact with her that left a big bad taste in my mouth.<br><br>
If you want to get rid of yeast, the first thing to do is switch to a raw diet. Yeast thrives on sugar, so if you stop feeding grains the yeast will almost certainly die off. If it continues, there are more holistic treatments that really work and that are based on real science.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the info...I'm glad I didn't shell out $100! We do a (kind of) raw diet of sojos (oats), beef, pumpkin, plus udo's pet essentials, udo's oil and prozyme.<br><br>
I don't know if it's yeast for sure...she's always been itchy, but she chews her belly till it turns black!<br><br>
I've read that grapefruit seed extract can help and I bought some, but haven't figured out how to implement yet.<br><br>
She's been on the raw diet since she was 1(she's 10), so I was actually thinking of trying to switch to a (high quality) kibble, after I read an article in the Whole Dog Journal that raw isn't best for every dog.<br><br>
What other remedies work?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts